Is my NVME drive failing?

Associate
My windows pc has a Corair nvme m2 gen 3 drive. Sometimes it spontaneously reboots. The first few times it happened I was afk and came back to the windows login screen. More recently though it reboots into bios. It has happened a couple of times recently when I was using it. The screen briefly flashed the bsod and then rebooted into bios. When this happens the drive isn't visible in the bios and hence this is why it doesn't reboot back into windows. Ctl/alt/del reboots back into bios. I have to turn off and then turn back on to get back into windows.

I know instability can be caused by various things but the fact that the drive is no longer seen for a while when this happens makes me suspect the drive.

The corsair utility doesn't give a lot of details but it reports the drive health as ok and 94%. The only item in the smart report that looks strange is it reports almost 2500 bad shutdowns. There is no way this number is correct.

Thanks for the reply. I can't figure out at the moment how to insert an imgur image. I will have another go later if you need more info or I can just type any particular data you need. I have included the top part of the crystaldiskinfo text report. Unfortunately the smart info uses raw values in the text output. The Unsafe Shutdown value was 2044. The Power On Count seems high at 4089 for only 7243 Power On Hours but I suppose it includes waking from sleep? The temp is low as I had just booted. Last time the crash happened I had been looking at the drive info just before and the temperature then was 42.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 8.17.3 (C) 2008-2022 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/

Date : 2024/10/13 11:10:02

-- Controller Map ----------------------------------------------------------
- Standard SATA AHCI Controller [ATA]
- Standard SATA AHCI Controller [ATA]
- Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller [SCSI]
+ Standard NVM Express Controller [SCSI]
- Force MP510
- Xvdd SCSI Miniport [SCSI]

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(01) Force MP510 : 960.1 GB [0/2/0, sq] - nv

(01) Force MP510
Model : Force MP510
Firmware : ECFM22.7
Serial Number : 1940823800012888505C
Disk Size : 960.1 GB
Interface : NVM Express
Standard : NVM Express 1.3
Transfer Mode : PCIe 3.0 x4 | PCIe 3.0 x4
Power On Hours : 7243 hours
Power On Count : 4089 count
Host Reads : 13740 GB
Host Writes : 11882 GB
Temperature : 26 C (78 F)
Health Status : Good (94 %)
Features : S.M.A.R.T., TRIM, VolatileWriteCache
Drive Letter : C:

The only item in the smart report that looks strange is it reports almost 2500 bad shutdowns. There is no way this number is correct.
It could be worth reseating the drive, maybe it makes bad contact with the M.2 slot. I'd also have a look at your PCIE power management settings, though that shouldn't be a problem in theory.

If the drive is under a board heatsink you could try removing it, assuming it is easily removeable and not integrated with the other heatsink(s).

I had disappearing m2 drives on a x570 auros ultra
Drove me crazy sometimes they were there
Other times they weren't
In the end turned out the drives were fine
Motherboard was the issue
If possible test the drives in a different pc

Thanks for the replies. As with a lot of pc issues it happens infrequently and so far with no clear cause so that it is difficult to diagnose what is causing the problem. The drive not showing up in the bios is the only real clue and why I am focusing on the drive and not RAM or gpu.

When I have time I will see if I can induce failure by stressing the drive somehow. I was playing the MSFS 2024 alpha the other day for quite a while and it was fine. Later it crashed again while browsing.

I will try reseating the drive. I could try it in the board's second m2 slot. I hope it isn't the mb failing as it is an AM4 system and I don't really want to put more money into it atm.

Intermittent faults are the worst
Never happen when you want them to
And of course happen when you don't want them to

Trying different m2 socket is worth a try
Though in my case it happened with all 3 of my m2 sockets
But didn't affect my 2.5 sata ssds
2 of my drives did happen to be corsair mp510
Just by coincidence

Back
Top Bottom