Is my proposed build sensible

Associate
I have a PC that is getting old, built 12 years ago (i5 3570, ASUS P8Z77-V LE, 16GB RAM, MSI 560TI)
My need is for a PC for general home worker - Office Apps, TEAMS, email
Then for personal use I do image editing (Lightroom) and Video editing up to 4k (Movie studio)
Don't do any gaming. Use 2 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitors

Time to build something new
As I don't change PC's that often ... want to future proof a bit, without wasting money
Thinking of the following build:
Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz​
Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II ATX LGA1700​
Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler​
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000​
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD​
MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB​
Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold PSU​
all in a Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case​

Welcome thoughts on any mismatch / overkill

Man of Honour
How serious is the editing? If you're only casual/hobby user, the integrated graphics might be sufficient and you could downgrade to a 14600K.

If you're confident you need the graphics, I'd get a 4070 Ti Super instead of the 4070 Ti for the extra VRAM, since you can't fix that after purchase if you need more later.

Are you happy to make changes in the BIOS to the power limits and what not, to tame your CPU for the air cooling?

If it was me, I'd spend less on the motherboard and upgrade to 64GB of RAM, unless you're sure that you don't use anywhere near to that.

RMe is not Corsair's higher tier PSU for high-end PCs, that is the RMx SHIFT, but you'd need case compatibility for that PSU because of the side mounted cables.

Isn't just 1TB of storage going to run out really quick with your usage? I'd have thought videos take up a lot of space, especially at 4K.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I find with my current PC even though I have codec use the GPU it can still take a very long time to render video.

Be interested to know what you suggest as good option i7 mobo (with DDR5 support) .... most are aimed at gamers.

The 1 TB is only local storage, all used files will be on the 2 x 1TB SATA HDD I already have and will move over, also have a 2TB NAS but painfully slow to move file to it.

Man of Honour
Be interested to know what you suggest as good option i7 mobo (with DDR5 support) .... most are aimed at gamers.
Z790 Creator is aimed at uhm, creators. It has 2x rear USB4/Thunderbolt4 ports, 10 Gb and 2.5 Gb Lan and 8 SATA ports, but the downside is that the board is very expensive.

On the more affordable side: maybe the Z790 Aorus Elite v1.1 (4x M.2, 6x SATA, rear spdif, 9x rear USB Type-A & 1x Type-C), or Z790 PG Riptide (5x M.2: though only 4 are usable at the same time and the PCI-E 5.0 one takes 8 graphics lanes, 8x SATA, 8x rear USB Type-A & 1x Type-C).

Associate
OP
Any reason you say Aorus Elite 1.1 ..... and not the 1.2 version ?
In reality I only need 4 DDR5 sockets, 2 M.2 sockets ..... so many will be unused.
Don't need any RGB lighting ... plain look is fine for me

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know the 1.2 uses a different WiFi module .... but unsure f anything else.
Never used Gigabyte products so new option for me.
If I did go for this mobo .... is my option of GPU still valid or overkill.

Man of Honour
I know the 1.2 uses a different WiFi module .... but unsure f anything else.
Never used Gigabyte products so new option for me.
Gigabyte make solid boards and as you don't nothing high end makes a good choice.

As for GPU you really need to look at benchmarks to see how much you will benefit I would certainly try the onboard first suggested by @Tetras .

Another budget friendly option could be the 12gb 3060 but do check benchmarks .

Man of Honour
Any reason you say Aorus Elite 1.1 ..... and not the 1.2 version ?
Just because that was the one I looked at, so I don't know if the spec is the same for the other board.

I'd still recommend you get the 4070 Ti Super instead of the 4070 Ti (for the 16GB of VRAM), but if you mean the motherboard itself, it doesn't care either way.

In reality I only need 4 DDR5 sockets, 2 M.2 sockets ..... so many will be unused.
There are cheaper boards you can buy if you don't need many features, like MSI's B760 Gaming Plus or B760-P II. Normally, a K CPU would be paired with a Z board, but there's no rule that says you have to, apart from it having no overclocking support and more limited tweaking with the voltages. Buying a more expensive motherboard than you need doesn't get more performance (unless the board is really bad and throttles the CPU, but we're not talking £100 boards here), so you can push the money into the GPU, RAM, storage, or whatever.

Soldato
Seems like a lot of waste on parts that are likely not needed, or overspecced

Personally I'd wait a month and go with a B650(E)/9900X build which should leave the 14700K well behind for content creation, given the current 7950X (£480) is not far off the ridiculous 14900KS (sometimes ahead sometimes behind), and the uplift from the 7900X should be a decent amount with much lower power draw, meaning your board choice is even less important, and the cooling requirement is not as critical either.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus drive is well out of date, and depending on what you are doing I'd look towards having a couple of decent NVMe disks, and unless you are playing games then a 4070 Ti is way over the top, but again application dependent there is pretty much nothing in the standard RTX 4070 certainly not a 33% cost increase worth, basing the 4070 starting at £450 now, and the Ti being £600, but closer to £700 for most models so over 50% more, you aren't even getting more VRAM, and if you did need VRAM then you should look elsewhere.

Good PSU, total overkill if you never upgrade your systems during their life span, but TBH PSU's are daft prices now, and a model with a 10 year warranty would be wise for yourself.

Associate
OP
Seems like a lot of waste on parts that are likely not needed, or overspecced

Personally I'd wait a month and go with a B650(E)/9900X build which should leave the 14700K well behind for content creation, ….
Appreciate the comments.
I don’t do any gaming … do image processing & video processing

Hadn’t considered i9. Thought they would be overkill
Waiting a month is not a problem.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
do image processing & video processing
I'd have a good look at this channel for the apps you use, e.g.:

Puget have lots of benchmarks too, e.g.

It is very important to know exactly where the bottleneck is with the software you're using and to monitor your usage in something like Windows task manager to confirm it. If you can't confirm that, you could waste a lot of money on unnecessary parts, or unnecessarily over the top parts.

Back
Top Bottom