Is my Wood Burner install ok?

Associate
Hi all,
Hope everyone is having a smashing day.

This week, I had a Wood Burner installed in my home. We had a work done to widen the fireplace, and a new fancy fireplace surround put in. Very nice.
And also of course a wood burner was installed.

It looks fab.
We're still outstanding the final works being done to adapt the top of the chimney on the roof. That couldn't be completed because of the icy weather.

Anyways, I'm concerned with how it has been installed internally though.
During the install, there was a period where the engineers stopped their drilling and banging and stuff and were having a bit of a hushed conversation.
Then one of them nipped out and came back with a part. He told my missus (I wasn't there) that "the boss had made some mistakes with the measurements, and so we've got this part for you with no expense to yourselves to complete the install".
What they've done is inserted a 45 degree elbow in the pipe that comes out of the stove, and then another 45 degree elbow shortly after in the opposite direction so that they can offset the pipe exit from the stove to the hole in the chimney.

There is 6 inches of pipe coming out of the burner before the elbow.

I'm a bit worried about this. It looks like heat from the stove will directly be hitting the elbow in the flue.

Does this sound right to you guys?

I would include pictures but not sure how to attach.

Soldato
Is it like this? If so that's fine.

AL9nZEVAJIam8k4FOX9s-AM-uzTmFW52QGzx0UKTqgxKAB9Yww7aRzgYUPCit8AOVkaz70bKC1ClvvVVe88Ot1SW0JqwdtewPQR10gHMLnmmxWf2AzwOno5cG6uTQS6eOhu8l9hOFKRLl4KIa6o5crfTcPQsKA=w973-h1297-no

Soldato
Having read loads about installing these and what to look out for etc it's pretty normal. Basically who ever measured up didn't leave enough room behind the burner for a straight vertical flue so it sounds like they have had to install two 45° sections to pull it forward, remember this flue is designed for the temperatures you will be subjecting it too.

Some burners have an additional plate you can buy to allow them to be closer to the rear wall which allows for a straight to vertical flue in a tight fireplace.

Last edited:
Soldato
It sounds like the chimney isn't central within the opening so they've put a couple of 45° bends in to line it up, quite normal especially in older houses with more than one fireplace feeding into the same stack.

Associate
OP
Hi all
Thanks for the quick replies.
It is a bit like that one shown earlier.
Apart from the pipe goes vertical again up the chimney instead of into the wall.

Maybe it’s ok then. Just seemed like every other one I’ve seen has a completely vertical pipe going straight up. None of these bends to adjust the alignment

Soldato
Hi all
Thanks for the quick replies.
It is a bit like that one shown earlier.
Apart from the pipe goes vertical again up the chimney instead of into the wall.

Maybe it’s ok then. Just seemed like every other one I’ve seen has a completely vertical pipe going straight up. None of these bends to adjust the alignment
Show a picture then it'll be easier for everyone to see

Associate
If its something similar to below, to create an offset, then this is fine. The offset could be more as long as its suitable for a sweep.

Back
Top Bottom