• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Associate
Over £1k for a 3070 at CEX now. Tempted!

If you sell now thinking you can wait it out to some point in the future you will get frustrated and buy back in and probably giving all that money back unless you go lower down the performance levels or may be new cards will just become more expensive and it ends up costing you more than what you can get selling now. just something to consider before rushing down to the high street shops or auction sites.

Associate
OP
If you sell now thinking you can wait it out to some point in the future you will get frustrated and buy back in and probably giving all that money back unless you go lower down the performance levels or may be new cards will just become more expensive and it ends up costing you more than what you can get selling now. just something to consider before rushing down to the high street shops or auction sites.

Nah. I sold my 6800 and bought a Series X instead and to be honest I am enjoying the experience more with the Xbox than I was with the 6800.

Associate
OP
Good way to go really Pc gaming is out of wack now.

If you don't care about modding, or games that can't really be played anywhere other than PC, then I would say the Xbox Series X actually offers a superior experience over a PC for gaming. Better selection of Gamepass games, the ability to buy disc based games and sell them on, cheap way to play at 4K 60FPS, Quick Resume is amazing, and no doubt many more advantages I haven't discovered yet. I just stuck an old Quadro card in my PC which cost me about £10 and I can use my PC for everything the Xbox can't do.

I honestly can't see myself getting back into PC gaming now for perhaps years. There is no way I am paying over the odds for another GPU that is for sure.

Soldato
I would say the Xbox Series X actually offers a superior experience over a PC for gaming.

The Series X is a great piece of kit but lack of widespread KB/Mouse support stops it being a replacement for a gaming PC, unless you're entirely happy to use a controller for everything.

Associate
OP
The Series X is a great piece of kit but lack of widespread KB/Mouse support stops it being a replacement for a gaming PC, unless you're entirely happy to use a controller for everything.

I hate using a Keyboard and mouse for games on the PC and always used an Xbox 360 controller anyway. I think though for many people it isn't even a factor going forward. It is a choice between paying 2x - 3x more than MSRP for a GPU or just getting a £450 Xbox that can play games extremely well. For £450 you are lucky to get a second hand GTX 1070 with no warranty never mind a brand new console with SSD, 8 core CPU, cool form factor, great usability features, wireless controller and a warranty.

Associate
I hate using a Keyboard and mouse for games on the PC and always used an Xbox 360 controller anyway. I think though for many people it isn't even a factor going forward. It is a choice between paying 2x - 3x more than MSRP for a GPU or just getting a £450 Xbox that can play games extremely well. For £450 you are lucky to get a second hand GTX 1070 with no warranty never mind a brand new console with SSD, 8 core CPU, cool form factor, great usability features, wireless controller and a warranty.

BUT when did logic have anything to do with PC gaming choices? :)

Soldato
I hate using a Keyboard and mouse for games on the PC and always used an Xbox 360 controller anyway.

Out of interest and marginally off-topic, how long does it take to go from rubbish to competent with a controller? I always found it frustrating trying to do basic manoeuvres like 180-degree turns and (unfortunately) lining up the cross-hairs with a target. I've only ever used KB + Mouse, hence my lack of competence, but I never really practiced with a controller because I thought it would never offer the same experience, no matter how good I became with it.

Soldato
Out of interest and marginally off-topic, how long does it take to go from rubbish to competent with a controller? I always found it frustrating trying to do basic manoeuvres like 180-degree turns and (unfortunately) lining up the cross-hairs with a target. I've only ever used KB + Mouse, hence my lack of competence, but I never really practiced with a controller because I thought it would never offer the same experience, no matter how good I became with it.

It took me about a month and I've been gaming on PC since the 90's now I dont even think about it. Like you I dismissed controllers for FPS games, now I wish I did it sooner. Like Lovelyhead (what a name) I went to Series X and sold my gaming PC due to GPU prices and wont be looking back anytime soon. It is an awesome piece of kit for the money and I'm enjoying gaming again and playing games I wouldnt have bothered with before that I am really enjoying on the Xbox. The features like Quick Resume and Instant On are features you never thought you wanted until you use them and you realise how better they make the whole experience especially for someone like me who's gaming time is limited and you just want to jump in and play games instantly without any messing

Man of Honour
With Game Pass (that I already have) stacking up pretty well on XBSX I can definitely see the appeal, to the extent I might actually buy one (despite having a stack of unplayed games on XBO, XB360, PS4 and PS3), the gap to midrange PCs seems to be falling now they've got things like 120hz support. Part of me thinks I should wait a year or two as the prices always come down (I got my PS3 and XB360 as impulse buys a couple of years after release) but the other part of me thinks the XBSX is actually priced very competitively already and with chip shortages etc we could be sat here in 2023 with no drop in price.

As for controllers, they are hopeless / frustrating for FPS and RTS games where you need a combination of both very rapid and accurate cursor movement, but generally ok for most other things and better than M&K for things like driving, fighting and sports games. Now you could argue I've never given controllers a fair crack of the whip (it's so painful I usually give up) but there's a few games like the Uncharted 2 on PS3 I completed with controller and the shooting sections were pretty horrendous, I was forced to persevere due to having no mouse on PS3. Likewise in GTA4/5 I played with controller on PC but would always switch to mouse midgame for sections where you need to aim.

My son plays PvZ FPS games with controller on his PC but there was this trial section that required shooting targets quickly and he couldn't do it, I had to do it for him with the mouse.

Soldato

About a month or so its just muscle memory funnily enough I started with consoles so use them even on a PC don't have any issues with it (didn't have the money for gaming PC's back then so it was playstation or nothing)

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe I should stick with the controller for a month or two then. Now all I need is to buy another XBox Series X since I sold the first one I had :p

Associate
It took me about a month and I've been gaming on PC since the 90's now I dont even think about it. Like you I dismissed controllers for FPS games, now I wish I did it sooner. Like Lovelyhead (what a name) I went to Series X and sold my gaming PC due to GPU prices and wont be looking back anytime soon. It is an awesome piece of kit for the money and I'm enjoying gaming again and playing games I wouldnt have bothered with before that I am really enjoying on the Xbox. The features like Quick Resume and Instant On are features you never thought you wanted until you use them and you realise how better they make the whole experience especially for someone like me who's gaming time is limited and you just want to jump in and play games instantly without any messing
Im a life-long PC gamer, but got a PS4 on a crazy sale back in 2017. Got a PS5 earlier this year. But even after 3 years and 1000hrs+ of controller play, I still absolutely suck with aiming compared to PC.
I avoid playing any FPS games on console, but even 3rd person ones, I suck with accuracy. I take the auto-aim option when possible!!
Im not a 'pro-level' player or anything on PC, but hold my own. On controller, Im a proper n00b still.

For me, console is more for casual lie-back sofa games. So many greats like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted. But as said...anything FPS is a frim PC game for me :D

Caporegime
As for controllers, they are hopeless / frustrating for FPS
Excepting PVP, where m+kb no doubt has the edge, I'm really not sure why people seem to have such difficulty with controllers. Even for FPS, with auto-aim disabled (bugs me that if you plug a controller in many games turn aim assist on...)

I occasionally play the odd FPS (not an FPS fanatic by any means) and a controller has always been fine. I typically go with Normal/Medium difficulty and can't say I've ever had a problem beating single-player FPS games with a controller.

Perhaps some people just hate the idea of using a controller and don't give it a fair shot..

Also for me a controller is much more comfortable than kb+m gaming. Although it's possible to get RSI from either.

Man of Honour
I don't give it a fair shot on PC but as mentioned I've been forced to on console for Uncharted games, that's not even a FPS but there were a couple of sections that took quite a few attempts, it basically just forced me to be a bit cheesy, focusing on 1 target at a time rather than play doing fluid combat like you would with mouse and keyboard. Occasionally a fightfight breaks out and then it's really frustrating, especially with checkpoints rather than proper savegames.

I'm sure if I grinded for weeks I could get better but it would still be frustrating, it's like tying a shoelace with 1 hand, you can do it, if you practice it would get easier, but it's still really annoying and inherently worse than M&K.

Soldato
Good way to go really Pc gaming is out of wack now.
If you don't care about modding, or games that can't really be played anywhere other than PC, then I would say the Xbox Series X actually offers a superior experience over a PC for gaming. Better selection of Gamepass games, the ability to buy disc based games and sell them on, cheap way to play at 4K 60FPS, Quick Resume is amazing, and no doubt many more advantages I haven't discovered yet. I just stuck an old Quadro card in my PC which cost me about £10 and I can use my PC for everything the Xbox can't do.

I honestly can't see myself getting back into PC gaming now for perhaps years. There is no way I am paying over the odds for another GPU that is for sure.

Understand the sentiments - but whilst the GPU AAAAND the console scalping goes on - lets not forget that the consoles themselves have always been sold at a loss - they make their money from expensive physical game media and subscription gaming.

Associate
OP
Understand the sentiments - but whilst the GPU AAAAND the console scalping goes on - lets not forget that the consoles themselves have always been sold at a loss - they make their money from expensive physical game media and subscription gaming.

Consoles gaming is just as cheap as pc gaming now. I just signed up for two years of gamepass on xbox using microsoft reward points. I used the reward points to buy two years of xbox live gold and then converted that to gamepass ultimate for £1.

Associate
3090fe now being bought for £2040 :eek:
Was tempted for a second to sell mine and buy a KFA 3090 for 2250 :p Not sure if the extra bling is worth £240 though. Anyone know what the thermals are like on the EVGA card?

Back
Top Bottom