• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Associate
OP
So we have a thread now on when to sell your GPUs and this forum was grade A for pointing the finger at the miners for soaking up all the cards (meant for gamers). Are people just selfishly cashing in on the status quo, or is this a sign that people aren't really gamers when there's money at stake?

I like money.

Honestly this whole "you are not a true gamer if you sell your card to make a profit" thing is a load of nonsense. What even is a gamer anyway?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I really couldn't deal with just having a console, both for gaming and general use. My PC does everything a console could and more!

I have the best of both worlds. I have the Ryzen 3600 computer that I just threw a cheap quadro card into and the Xbox. When I had my 6800 it spent about 95% of the time mining and honestly it sucked because if I ever gamed I felt like it was costing me money.

Soldato
I have the best of both worlds. I have the Ryzen 3600 computer that I just threw a cheap quadro card into and the Xbox. When I had my 6800 it spent about 95% of the time mining and honestly it sucked because if I ever gamed I felt like it was costing me money.

Yeah, that makes sense! Seeing the average MH/s drop after spending a few hours gaming sucks :p

Associate
So we have a thread now on when to sell your GPUs and this forum was grade A for pointing the finger at the miners for soaking up all the cards (meant for gamers). Are people just selfishly cashing in on the status quo, or is this a sign that people aren't really gamers when there's money at stake?
money is powerful, it enables you to do a lot of things :)
if 25 years of gaming isn't enough to be considered a gamer then I don't know what is.

back to the topic at hand:
that shop on the high street i sold my 3070 to for £1020 now reduced their buy price to £696
FeelsGoodMan

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
money is powerful, it enables you to do a lot of things :)
if 25 years of gaming isn't enough to be considered a gamer then I don't know what is.

back to the topic at hand:
that shop on the high street i sold my 3070 to for £1020 now reduced their buy price to £696
FeelsGoodMan

So those that were whining that they could not get hold of the beloved GPU to game on.. have now sold said GPU to cash in... yeah great one! :rolleyes: @Gibbo + @ScottiB hope your noting this sheesh.

Associate
I like money.

Honestly this whole "you are not a true gamer if you sell your card to make a profit" thing is a load of nonsense. What even is a gamer anyway?
Agreed. This is not a totalitarian state. We can do what we want with the items we have paid for. If I was OcUK, I would have concentrated on making a profit other than trying to prove how honourable they are.

Soldato
So those that were whining that they could not get hold of the beloved GPU to game on.. have now sold said GPU to cash in... yeah great one! :rolleyes: @Gibbo + @ScottiB hope your noting this sheesh.

I see your point, but bear in mind we're coming out of a pandemic where people have been confined to home for 90% of the time, and gaming is one of the few activities which hasn't really been affected. Now it's almost summer, lockdown is easing so people can get out and about and do other things, and £1k is a lot of money - could almost pay for a nice family week away somewhere by the coast. Can't really blame people to be honest.

Soldato
I see your point, but bear in mind we're coming out of a pandemic where people have been confined to home for 90% of the time, and gaming is one of the few activities which hasn't really been affected. Now it's almost summer, lockdown is easing so people can get out and about and do other things, and £1k is a lot of money - could almost pay for a nice family week away somewhere by the coast. Can't really blame people to be honest.

Yes there's a difference between someone cashing in their only card, and buying a new one later, and industrial scale buying using bots purely for profit. Sometimes I think the world has forgotten what nuance means.

Soldato
Anyway, weighing everything up, I'm going to keep my 6800.

Even if things do go back to normal MSRP pricing, I'd still have to pay ~£5-600 to replace it, leaving me ~£4-500 up. But then if I wasn't happy to pay £4-500 for a better gaming experience, I'd still be running my old 5700XT and a 1080p monitor. Plus I can almost certainly make at least half of that £4-500 back in the next couple of months if I mine during downtime.

Soldato
CeX have dropped the price of my 3060Ti from £867 to £479! My quote is valid for the last day! What do I do?

Actually seems like a no-brainer.:
1. Take a £30 loss in future and try to mine the profit back (£20 per week at current rates) or
2. Take a £358 profit now
They've nuked the buy price on all high-end graphics cards this morning. Drops of 30%+ across the board. It'll be interesting to see if that puts off a lot of more casual scalpers who were just flipping cards straight to them for guaranteed, easy profit without having to deal with Ebay. I notice they're not selling them any cheaper though. I suppose they can't without losing a ton of money, since they were paying so much for them.

Soldato
They've nuked the buy price on all high-end graphics cards this morning. Drops of 30%+ across the board. It'll be interesting to see if that puts off a lot of more casual scalpers who were just flipping cards straight to them for guaranteed, easy profit without having to deal with Ebay.
Funny to see that the sales prices haven’t changed though!

Soldato
They've nuked the buy price on all high-end graphics cards this morning. Drops of 30%+ across the board. It'll be interesting to see if that puts off a lot of more casual scalpers who were just flipping cards straight to them for guaranteed, easy profit without having to deal with Ebay. I notice they're not selling them any cheaper though. I suppose they can't without losing a ton of money, since they were paying so much for them.

Yeah, I noticed there were quite a few drops yesterday - OcUK had 30+ 6800s from £900-£1,100. Limited to 1 per customer ofc, but if you have a couple of mates willing to take delivery... :(

Soldato

Hahaha dude what do you expect? People have the right to do what the hell they want with their possessions. I sold my 3070 last week for over grand and I'd have felt like a mug if I didn't. Hilarious how you are referencing ocuk staff. Do you think ocuk haven't taken advantage of the current demand.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hahaha dude what do you expect? People have the right to do what the hell they want with their possessions. I sold my 3070 last week for over grand and I'd have felt like a mug if I didn't. Hilarious how you are referencing ocuk staff. Do you think ocuk haven't taken advantage of the current demand.

Not really, you have to appreciate the complainers on here - then OcUK set up a members sale which is branded with 'no miner, only to gamers' yet you have this carry on which is contradictory to all the posting. All people are doing is showing the reality of this 'gamers' is ********. Any real gamers who have been desperate for a card wont be wanting to sell it for a quick £200.

If you cannot comprehend my point then it is wasted on you and any others. I appreciate the lengths the two guys made to get cards into member hands on here.

Associate
OP
Not really, you have to appreciate the complainers on here - then OcUK set up a members sale which is branded with 'no miner, only to gamers' yet you have this carry on which is contradictory to all the posting. All people are doing is showing the reality of this 'gamers' is ********. Any real gamers who have been desperate for a card wont be wanting to sell it for a quick £200.

If you cannot comprehend my point then it is wasted on you and any others. I appreciate the lengths the two guys made to get cards into member hands on here.

Overclockers scalped me from the start. I paid £599 for my 6800 which is over MSRP. Now Overclockers are pretty much charging the same as the scalpers on ebay. You need to stop with the "real gamers" nonsense. It is a meaningless phrase. Nearly everyone in the world who has access to a device capable of playing a video game is a "real gamer".

Associate

I think you're bit too emotional and overly naive with regards to the current market situation. I didn't get my card from ocuk, nor a forum deal, and I used it for gaming since November (no mining). I think selling a product you used for 6 months for 200%+ what you paid for it is just good business sense.

Does it suck that some people here took advantage of the forum deal that was made so generously by the ocuk team? Of course, but there was always going to be a percentage of people that did that, again, it's naive to think they wouldn't.

The only people I really have sympathy for are those on here still waiting for their pre-order, as they have been hit the most by the shortage.

Soldato

Why do "gamers" have such preferential treatment anyway. A "gamer" should have already had a gaming pc before all this madness anyway. The fact they may have got stung by trying to cash in on their old card before new release is just unfortunate.

Im a "real gamer" and happily playing on an xbox I bought on the MM. That's because I like games. I don't feel I have a god given right to a high end gpu.

A gamer should be ditching their mentally priced hardware and getting a console if they really need to game.

Back
Top Bottom