Is now the wrong time buy buy a bike?

Associate
I'm desperate for an upgrade of my current starter bike (fazer 600), i would love a tracer 900.

With the way bills are going and inflation through the roof, im guessing holding off is the sensible thing to do.

So is now the wrong time to buy?.

Man of Honour
Personally I am battening down the financial hatches. I have had a payout for my recent bike write off and am putting that money in an account for rainy days and will see how the economy fares before I decide whether to spend it.

So if I were in your position I would hold off for a while. My brother was looking at buying a campervan recently and noticed several he was interested in were reduced in price straight after the interest rate rise on Thursdsay. He has decided to hold off on that too. I don't know whether this will translate into the bike market of course. I guess your decision should be based on whether your financial situation is good enough for the incoming recession and inflation to hurt you or not.

Soldato
Surely it depends entirely on your personal circumstances? If you can afford it comfortably then why not.
I probably wouldn't take a big loan out though.

Associate
OP
Surely it depends entirely on your personal circumstances? If you can afford it comfortably then why not.
I probably wouldn't take a big loan out though.
Cool name, but yea you're right. I think realistically i should wait but at the same time i really want a new bike and a good ride before the years through :p

And then get stung with a 3 million pound energy bill in january xD

Soldato
Cool name, but yea you're right. I think realistically i should wait but at the same time i really want a new bike and a good ride before the years through :p

And then get stung with a 3 million pound energy bill in january xD
Well we only live once, and if sensible wouldn't be riding bikes in the first place. ;)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Not sure about bikes, but the car market is currently filled with people trying to desperately sell their car assets before the market completely crashes. I would wait till it gets colder, you'll likely get a better deal that way.

Associate
OP
Still got 6 months of my current insurance left and asked for a quote on a tracer 900, they want £360

I can get a fresh policy for £330.

Looks like im waiting till next march at least xD

Soldato
Still got 6 months of my current insurance left and asked for a quote on a tracer 900, they want £360

I can get a fresh policy for £330.

Looks like im waiting till next march at least xD
I did that with 2 year no claims coming up changing a bike after a break in ownership before and dropped back to 1. Next renewal was half the price I'd been quoted for 2 years ncb in the first place so financially it worked out well. Obviously a risk but worked out OK.

Don
Bike prices seem just as mental as car price at the moment. I've been considering returning to two wheels and was shocked at the prices when I started looking at bikes. Stuff that I would have paid £6k for 10 years ago are still £6k now for the same model year. Looked at getting another M1800R as I really liked the last one I had. I sold my 2009 model in 2012 for £7k. Cheapest I spotted at the moment is £6.5k for a 2008 model on 5 times the milage that mine was on. VN900s that would have been £2k a few years ago are now £4k.

Soldato
Yep, used bike prices are a bit silly at the moment.
There is very little difference in new and used prices in many cases.
Been trying to get a decent bike for a reasonable price for some time now but havent had much luck, now with all thats going on with the cost of living I may have to just put a lid on the idea until things calm down.

Back
Top Bottom