Poll: Is pop music the best it’s ever been?

Is pop music the best it’s ever been?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Chicken bovril is particularly hard to find these days.

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters
Associate
I think… maybe yes?

I don’t really listen to much of it, but my general impression is that there is way more effort put into production and sounds and just the overall vibe of a pop song… everything sounds much less ‘pedestrian’… less ‘heart FM’.

Just for the sake of example, compare these two Kylie mega-hits. Her new single is an absolute banger! Haven’t seen the music video so ignore whatever comes up :D

Compare this to the pedestrian dross that is ‘Can’t Get You Out of My Head’ - I absolutely hate this track…

Anyone else think similar?

Edit: despite the silly title, I was more intending to refer to what I’d broadly consider ‘modern music’ (~post-80s).

Well Kylie's new song has a highly tuned bassline and a **** ton of post-processing on the vocals (reverb, compression and a bit o' autotune) these technologies have come a long way since the year 2000, and there's the fact that producers know a lot more about what sounds good and what doesn't so the music is far less "experimental" than it was in the early days. Having said that, yes, pop music is the best it's ever been and it could be even better in 10 years... depending on how the AI producers get on...

I'm a 90s child and loved the indie and dance scene. I thought the Blur vs Oasis "battle of Britpop" chapter was a bit over done though.

On topic, what I like now is that there is a bit of a 90s revival going on. My sister and I saw Pulp and the Chemical Brothers last year. For clubbers, a number of the 90s franchises have started back up again e.g. Sundissential, Gatecrasher, Passion, Cream and Ministry of Sound. 2023-24 is a good time to be alive following a few disappointing years 2019-2022 for COVID and non-COVID reasons alike.

I still follow the modern charts. Not really that much into it but I quite like Olivia Rodrigo and Little Mix. Recent "90s" dance hits include Nanana by Peggy Gou which sounded like 9PM by ATB, and B.O.T.A by Eliza Rose which was based on Happiness by Sound De-Zign.

Trap music has been around for ever, kinda like r'n'b but 2-step and more baseline, geared towards the hip youngsters but I still enjoy a bit of trap.

Edit: corrected ATM to ATB lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
80s.

I was born in 80s. So didn't really grow up with that music.

But now, 80s all the way.

The clothes.. The music... I love it. I wish I had been in my 20s in the 80s.

I have no idea why I love the 80s music. But I do. And so do so many people!

On topic. I went to an 80s silent disco in a cathedral last night and it was.... Amazing. So many people in 80s fashion. Had so much fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom