Is PSVR better than PC VR?

Soldato
Nope. Very low resolution, awful controllers, and a mess of wires to manage.
On the plus side, it has some amazing exclusive games, despite the limitations.

Associate
Yeah no way, some excellent psvr games though which makes me very excited for the psvr 2. It's more hardware limitations at this point with the psvr and pc vr has improved a lot in that time

Permabanned
OP
Thanks, I was thinking PSVR had a high resolution but nice to know PC VR is much better. But it sounds like PSVR2 if it even would exists might be worth a look at in future.

Soldato
PSVR2 looks like it'll give high-end PC VR a run for its money, and also provide some competition for the Quest 2. Though the cost of the PS5 + PSVR2 is likely to be several times that of a Quest 2. Of course if you already have a PS5 then PSVR2 will be more affordable.

Associate
PSVR2 looks like it'll give high-end PC VR a run for its money, and also provide some competition for the Quest 2. Though the cost of the PS5 + PSVR2 is likely to be several times that of a Quest 2. Of course if you already have a PS5 then PSVR2 will be more affordable.
Yeah loving the sound of the HDR oled screens for a vr set, could really be the best screens in vr. Plus all the haptics of the dualsense in vr should really boost immersion.

Soldato

If it's as good as I hope it's going to be it'll sell me a PS5. My gaming PC got sold off and replaced by a Series X so I have no need for one yet but I'm really intrigued by VR and PSVR2 might be the tipping point to actually get into it

Soldato
If it's as good as I hope it's going to be it'll sell me a PS5. My gaming PC got sold off and replaced by a Series X so I have no need for one yet but I'm really intrigued by VR and PSVR2 might be the tipping point to actually get into it

Unless you're anti facebook, a quest 2 is absolutely a great way to get into VR right now, no gaming PC required, and plenty of decent things to do on it.

Soldato
Which looks better out of the PSVR & standalone Quest 2 ?

It's not as simple as you might think.,

Quest 2 has higher resolution and almost no screen door effect, but the native games (that run on the headset itself) are lower in graphics quality than PSVR games. PC games run via air-link or a link cable can be much better than PSVR graphics, but the image is compressed so can suffer from noise and artefacts, plus of course you need a monster PC to run PC VR at the Quest native resolution. It also has a LCD display so the blacks are greyish. The lenses are freznel so you can get some glare.

PSVR has low resolution, but is an OLED display so the colours are more vibrant and the blacks deeper. The games look better than native Quest games for the most part, but not always as good as PCVR. The lenses are non-freznel so they're pretty clear.

The main advantage of the Quest 2 is versatility. You can run it with native games on the headset, or PC games via wireless or a link cable. The controllers are way, way, better than the PSVR move controllers, so they can handle a wider variety of games better, plus you have hand tracking for controller less play.

Soldato
It's not as simple as you might think.,

Quest 2 has higher resolution and almost no screen door effect, but the native games (that run on the headset itself) are lower in graphics quality than PSVR games. PC games run via air-link or a link cable can be much better than PSVR graphics, but the image is compressed so can suffer from noise and artefacts, plus of course you need a monster PC to run PC VR at the Quest native resolution. It also has a LCD display so the blacks are greyish. The lenses are freznel so you can get some glare.

PSVR has low resolution, but is an OLED display so the colours are more vibrant and the blacks deeper. The games look better than native Quest games for the most part, but not always as good as PCVR. The lenses are non-freznel so they're pretty clear.

The main advantage of the Quest 2 is versatility. You can run it with native games on the headset, or PC games via wireless or a link cable. The controllers are way, way, better than the PSVR move controllers, so they can handle a wider variety of games better, plus you have hand tracking for controller less play.
Much thanks for this :)

I own a Quest 2 but have never used a PSVR

Soldato
Much thanks for this :)

I own a Quest 2 but have never used a PSVR

I don't own a PSVR but I have played on one, so I know what it's like. Plus I've read loads of feedback from PSVR owners.

The only real advantage the current PSVR headset has over Quest 2 is some excellent exclusive games. In 90% of respects, it's an inferior system.

Also there's a high level level of 'friction' you need to overcome to use a PSVR. It's got a lot of wires, you need to get the camera setup properly, and the tracking is awful. You can't turn away from the camera without the tracking breaking.

A lot of PSVR's get used only occasionally, while the usage rate of Quest 2 headsets is very high, due to the ease of setup and use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes and no.

PSVR has far easier to setup and it just works, you will never have to spend a week trying to get it to run properly and PSVR has exclusive games that are superb quality not found on PC (apart from alyx). but that's where it ends, everything else pc vr is better.

Having used both I am comfortable to say I enjoyed PSVR more. PC VR is just not a fun experience even if it has better graphics, graphics ain't everything

Back
Top Bottom