Is Skyrim worth playing or is there better now?

Caporegime
Amazing game and well worth playing. One of the best games ever made.
It's hard to disagree, purely on the basis of the visuals and the sound and the world building.

But boy do the vanilla mechanics suck :p

One of the best game ever half-made, maybe :p With modders fixing its awful gameplay.

Permabanned
Played on release for about 70 hours. I remember battling some zombie lord in a blizzard for nearly 5 minutes, that was fun. That and the constant disappointment of the ghastly UI.

I'd play it again with some mods and all the DLC etc.

Wonder when the new Elder Scrolls will be released. Seems a few years ago since the announcement.

Soldato
Special Edition. It looks much much better and all of the mods worth using have been ported to it

I must admit i'm not enamoured of bethesda's mod download setup, the search function for a start is utter ****

However once you wade through 5 pages of "lore freindly" followers there are some of the classic mods still around (although some under new names)

Soldato
I must admit i'm not enamoured of bethesda's mod download setup, the search function for a start is utter ****

However once you wade through 5 pages of "lore freindly" followers there are some of the classic mods still around (although some under new names)
It's best to use Nexus Mods and yeah you have to look hard. Best to sort by most endorsed, then all time. Then you can choose the category. So basically you can sort them in to the most endorsed combat mods, armour mods, quest mods etc.

Soldato
It's best to use Nexus Mods and yeah you have to look hard. Best to sort by most endorsed, then all time. Then you can choose the category. So basically you can sort them in to the most endorsed combat mods, armour mods, quest mods etc.

i'm trying to avoid going back there, if i stick to bethesda's inbuilt system the terrible ui will stop me going over the top with mods :p

Soldato
Oh if I decide to play skyrim I can be there for hours at a time searching through mods!

yep, the skyrim modders loop:
2 hours sifting through pages of mods to find a dozen or so you like the look of
15 minutes doing the usual compatibility checks (loot etc)
20 minutes to launch the game- modded skyrim laughs at your ssd
0.1ms for it to ctd on the main menu
10 hours of trying to figure out whats causing the crash
another 20 minutes launching the game
10 minutes of using console commands to spawn in all the new stuff before saying "**** this imma go to bed"

next day start again

Soldato
I've been having some... 'fun' with Skyrim mods before I get started on the game proper, and have been trying a few out in the dungeon after the initial dragon attack intro sequence.

Some don't seem to work (surprise). 95% do but then there are ones that I was hoping someone here might be able to advise on :) (Ultimate HD fire effects is my primary example)
For reference I've followed the Beginner's Reddit guide, so have Mod Manager 2, Loot, the edit/clean tool and SKSE64.

A couple of mods have only got Meshes and Texture folders. I use Mod Manager 2 to install them, but nothing happens in game. I've tried copying them directly to the Skyrim folder (my Steam folder is not located in Program Files or any controlled area like that) and when first copying I noticed there are no data or texture folders in the Skyrim Data folder. Why is this?
I've noticed that the Mod Manager's right hand window has a lot of consolidated texture and mesh files in mesh and texture folders that link back to the original mod folders within mod manager 2. But this particular mod, a better visual fire effect for spells etc, doesn't go there and I still get the same crappy fire effects.

So the questions are:

1. Why are there no Texture or Mesh folders in the main Skyrim Data folder after 130+ mods have been installed with Mod manager 2 (and the game executes from SKSE64 within Mod Manager 2 btw)
2. What is the general practice for mods that consist of solely Mesh and Texture folders/files?

It's quite hard to sift through a lot of the stuff on various reddits and google searches so was hoping there'd be a good samaritan on here that could help and nail the issue easily for me :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Soldato
MO2 doesn't put anything in your data folder, as it uses it's own separate folder.
As for Ultimate HD fire effects, all you should have to do is install it with MO2 and check the box next to it. Is it the right version for your edition of Skyrim?

Soldato
MO2 doesn't put anything in your data folder, as it uses it's own separate folder.
As for Ultimate HD fire effects, all you should have to do is install it with MO2 and check the box next to it. Is it the right version for your edition of Skyrim?
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. It's the Ultra version for SSE, so the Special Edition version, and I've recently bought the Special Edition, so should be all in order there. I've read in the comment section for the mod a lot of people have problems, so maybe it's just one of those things. The majority of other bits and bobs seem to work though, so probably should count myself lucky that those do! :)

Associate
Not heard of Skyland so, after a quick google, it appears to be just a texture overhaul. Shouldn't affect the core mechanics in any way.
Not levelling is weird. Have you played it vanilla and it levelled ok?

Soldato
Skrim is absolutely fabulous in my opinion, and even if a bit dated by today's standards, I still absolutely love it. I take a break from time to time, but still keep coming back.

The skill tree-changing mod Ordinator has breathed a big lease of life into the game for me, and I find it a HUGE improvement over the vanilla tree. I'd recommend it for anyone who hasn't tried a skill tree changing mod yet, or who fancies a new character and understands the mechanics of the game.

Also, I love the Tamriel Vault, for some superb ideas of characters to play as, rather than just bumbling through without a clear idea of where your character is 'going'. My personal favourite has to be the Mystic Rohnin:

https://tamrielvault.com/groups/topic/view/group_id/3/topic_id/3306

It's just..... pure fun to play as! (I love conjuration as well, which helps)

Associate
Fancy a change in pace and mood...Played Oblivion years ago but never played Skyrim...Is it worth it or is there a better RPG like this around now?
Yes, play it if you liked Oblivion and like that sort of game in general. Hard to believe its nearly 10 years old and there hasn't been much since then that has been as good.
The combat is a bit clunky but the graphics are decent, plus it also has the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played.

Soldato
TES6 reveal (Bethesda usually reveal games when they are close to launch as well!) was due to be on 19th Jan but will be delayed slightly due to US president inauguration ceremony!

Back
Top Bottom