• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3080 the one to upgrade to from a 2080Ti?

Associate
OP
should be fine, some more info from gamers nexus

https://youtu.be/X_wtoCBahhM?t=601

2080ti > 3080 now seems a bit silly unless you have some games that it actually struggles with? You've missed selling the Ti for decent money and jumping from ti to non-ti isn't the best upgrade route

Thank you. I play primarily through my OLED 4K TV and there are some games that I'd like to be able to play at 4k 60fps which at the moment are just a slight struggle for my TI

Soldato
yeah I'm tempted to wait until Nov and see the cyberpunk 2077 performance reviews. My 2070s is playing current games fine at 1440k. Only upgrade if you really need to.

Soldato
Imo it's either 3090 or wait 2 more years for the next batch. 3080 is going to be too close to the 2080 Ti. And yes you'll need a new PSU.

Soldato
However, I'm trying to work out whether the 3080 is the best card to upgrade to from my MAI Gaming Trio 2080Ti or is the 3090 preferable?

I have a 2080 Ti and have much the same quandary. From the leaks so far it seems that the 3080 isn't going to be a significant upgrade from a raster POV. So I'm waiting on information on the 3090.

Soldato
Imo it's either 3090 or wait 2 more years for the next batch. 3080 is going to be too close to the 2080 Ti. And yes you'll need a new PSU.

nice click-bate vid, just wait until 16th and people with actual cards can give the results. Total system wattage as well, if you are under 500 then a 650 can cope.

Soldato
yeah I'm tempted to wait until Nov and see the cyberpunk 2077 performance reviews. My 2070s is playing current games fine at 1440k. Only upgrade if you really need to.

This is the best thing to do. CD Project since Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 have set performance benchmarks which usually last 2 years.

If the 3080 can play cyberpunk at ultra, with all features turned on at 4k and hit 60fps+ then it'll likely power 99.999% of games coming out in the next 2 years fine. However if it doesn't, then its worth trying to make a kind of balanced decision on which to go for.

Soldato
nice click-bate vid, just wait until 16th and people with actual cards can give the results. Total system wattage as well, if you are under 500 then a 650 can cope.
Those are results from people with actual cards. Don't be mad because..
giphy.gif

:D :D :D

Soldato
wait until the real benchmarks are out. it seems if you game in 4k, get a 3080. else, stay with whatever you got.

I mean.. has this ever not been the case? People with 1440p screens dumping more cash on the 3XXX series blows my mind when a second hand 2080/2080ti is more than enough for 99.9% of games at that resolution.

The 3XXX series is clearly for 4K. Same with the Radeon cards because the current Radeon cards are fine for that.

Most people would be better served pumping their cash into a better display or audio or even a better keyboard and mouse.

Associate
I appreciate your thoughts but I think your comment about self esteem and feeling better steps over the boundaries of what I was asking. It comes across as preachy and with respect is not your place to do that to me on a public forum.

Likewise your comment about charity. I give a sizeable portion of my income to charity as well as donating considerable personal time. It is rare that I indulge hence my asking the question.

Apologies if that sounds defensive, however I think you make too many assumptions and risk devaluing your original point my making personal, sweeping statements. For clarity, the difficulties of the year have been death, illness and difficult family situations.

I Apologise without reserve or excuses.

Associate
I am currently on RTX 2080 Ti Aorus Waterforce and no planning for upgrade even for 3090. I am on 1440P and have good fps everywhere with RTX HIGH . Control 1440P ,Quake 2 rtx :)

Back
Top Bottom