Is the console going to become extinct or evolve?

I think they're going to do exactly this. It's going to be a PC with a custom OS skin which functions basically like Steam Big Picture. All games will be made for PC and thus work on actual PCs and the "Xbox PC". Maybe you'll be able to upgrade bits I don't know. I haven't really thought it through.
I think going custom is the wrong way. I drifted away from pc gaming because of the constant upgrades. I think it benefits the devs to build games with the same hardware in place.

I think going custom is the wrong way. I drifted away from pc gaming because of the constant upgrades. I think it benefits the devs to build games with the same hardware in place.
I've only just put a new 4080 in my pc in the last few months. I was using a 1080 for the last 6 years. My CPU/Mobo combo is about 7 years old.

I was able to play everything until the last year in high at 1080p with the old setup, and now with the new GPU, ultra and 1440p.

I wouldn't say that you NEED to constantly upgrade a PC to enjoy games, that is personal preference.

I bought a PS4 in 2020 just for FF7 and sold it after I completed it, as there was literally no use for me afterwards. There was nothing I wanted that I couldn't get on my PC.

I've only just put a new 4080 in my pc in the last few months. I was using a 1080 for the last 6 years. My CPU/Mobo combo is about 7 years old.

I was able to play everything until the last year in high at 1080p with the old setup, and now with the new GPU, ultra and 1440p.

I wouldn't say that you NEED to constantly upgrade a PC to enjoy games, that is personal preference.

I bought a PS4 in 2020 just for FF7 and sold it after I completed it, as there was literally no use for me afterwards. There was nothing I wanted that I couldn't get on my PC.
I think the upgrading almost becomes a game in itself. I did keep up, but it was always last years tech to keep the price down.

I think each to their own, I like the ability to just pick up a controller and play from the sofa. Seemed more casual social.

In that zone of thing interesting from either at the moment

I think the upgrading almost becomes a game in itself. I did keep up, but it was always last years tech to keep the price down.

I think each to their own, I like the ability to just pick up a controller and play from the sofa. Seemed more casual social.

In that zone of thing interesting from either at the moment
Yeah it definitely does become a game or even obsession, which is why I just usually do a GPU upgrade every 4ish years, then CPU/mobo a few years after, or when needed. The last time I had to upgrade CPU/mobo was because the gpu was getting bottlenecked by the CPU and RAM in some newer games.

I am going to upgrade my CPU/mobo combo very soon now, although I probably don't need to, it is working absolutely fine, although I expect slightly bottlenecking the GPU. And I am going to use the old setup so my misses can have a gaming PC.

As far as being able to pick up a controller and play. I have an Nvidia shield in my front room, I stream my PC from my office to it using Moonlight, and am able to play whatever I want with my Xbox controller, or even a lap mouse and keyboard I got years ago. Still a little bit of faffing, but does the job.

Last edited:
Since the GPU fiasco I've pretty much just gamed on my PS4 and now PS5.

I'll pick up a new GPU towards the end of the year and switch back to PC for a bit but I've no need to upgrade any of my AM4 stuff for a while.

Maybe when AM6 is out and about.

So, for me, console gaming is very much alive. Just easy in the living room.

I got rid of my PC in 2022 and went Mac only so I bought an Xbox Series X for gaming (and watching DVDs and Blu-rays). Pretty happy with things but I do miss some games which are PC only.

Back
Top Bottom