• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the GPU goosed?

Associate
I seem to be having some GPU problems and Iv come for some expert advice.

My question is when ever I try to boot in windows the gpu acts up and does not fully boot into windows just turns the screen black but when I boot into windows in safe mode it works. Im just wondering is it a driver issues/software problem or is the gpu bust. Its a Amd 6870 and Im running windows 10.

vqiaMStm.jpg
ZJe14DFm.jpg

Soldato
Its a driver issue as safe mode is ok. ;)

That's how you know if safe mode fails and you get artifacts then gpu knackered, if fine then its a software/driver issue.

Although on saying that some GPU`s can die when loaded so its swings and roundabouts, you just have test and test some more to pin the problem down.

Associate
Here's another theory.

Just because it boots in safe mode, it doesn't absolutely prove that it's a driver issue.

When booting in safe mode, your gfx card will probably be running at a lower resolution. When booting into Windows normally, your screen resolution will usually be higher. That will require the use of more VRAM and utilise the GPU more. If your have some faulty VRAM, it might just fail when running at a higher resolution.

Soldato
If at the BIOS and POST it is causing video glitches it is basically on the way out. Only thing to try is clean the card out and redo the thermal paste and reseat the card in the slot and if that fails try another slot on the motherboard. If all that fails and you tried another pc too and same result then it it needs repair.

Back
Top Bottom