• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the upgrade worth it?

Associate
Hi, so I am well aware that Black friday is close approaching, with this I know prices usually drop and I got money to spend on my PC. I currently have a 6600k and am wondering if it is worth upgrading to a 6700K or to purchase a second monitor for myself as currently I just have a low budget crap ASUS 21" monitor

Soldato
Some games will welcome the extra threads from the i7 and gain you some extra FPS, if you can find a second hand i7 and sell your i5 then it would be worthwhile. But a decent monitor will definitely better your gaming experience, especially if you can move to 144hz and/or 1440p.

Associate
I don't think he will see a massive improvement in gaming going from a 6600k to 7700k. Surely his monitor and gpu would increase his gaming experience more than just changing the CPU

Look up some benchmarks for heavily multithreaded games like BF1 with top tier graphics cards comparing i7 to i5. i5 is a major handicap in modern times and nobody should use them. JM2C.
I wish there was a way to cram an 8700K in there but with his Z170 board 7700K is as good as it will get.

yes, a better GPU and a better monitor will improve the experience. The order he buys new parts in is up to him. All I'm saying is that the i5 will be a bottleneck increasingly going forward.

Associate
No offence but he is being using 21" monitor up until now so i dont think going from 6600K to 7700k upgrade will be good for him.

1. Monitor for now.
2. Motherboard + CPU + Ram + Graphic Card in future upgrade when his current system cant cope with games.

If he buys a 7700K now he will be limiting himself to this socket and buy a cpu again in future upgrade.

Soldato
I'd go for a new monitor first and foremost.

I couldn't imagine gaming on a 21 inch screen :(

A 6600k is still a good CPU, but some games will definitely benefit from the extra threads of a 6700k.

Monitor / GPU more important though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't even think about upgrading your CPU right now. I would upgrade the monitor, and then you may need to upgrade your GPU to take advantage of your new monitor's capability.

We could do with a budget in order to make further suggestions. However, just to recap: I wouldn't move to an i7 with that 21" screen and a 1060.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just upgraded from a I5 6600 running at 4.7ghz. to a I7 7700 @ 5ghz And there not that much performance increase. so i would say monitor then GPU.
look around as theirs 6700k and 7700k under £290

One thing i have noticed is. When i played Forza horizon 3 with the i5 it kept kicking me out of the game. Now running the I7 its stable as a rock. Did a stint for 5 hours and nothing. temps under 70c

Last edited:
Soldato
Like others have mentioned, I would definitely go for a new monitor if I was you. Pick the best one you can afford, it will most likely out last any other upgrade, I've had my monitor 8 years now.

Back
Top Bottom