Is there a "cool" convertible?

Man of Honour
Why would you 'feel embarassment' getting out of any car. The most beta move possible is giving a **** what other people think of you. Oh no, people in this car park (who almost certainly are thinking about something that has no relation to me or my car) may not feel positively about my motoring choice.

Don
I love mine, gave up caring what people say in here ages ago :p

As it's a nice sunny day and I have to drive half way across the country I shall put the roof down and 'embarrass' myself.

Associate
I have an E85 Z4 as a second car and love driving top down at night.
If its a clear night with all the stars out then I'm itching to go for a drive. Driving through town at night is a nice experience too.

Soldato
Whilst this is all true, in the real world we aren't driving at 10 tenths, looking to eek the absolute performance out of every bend. With that in mind, a convertible offers a much better driving experience, I'd never go back to not owning one, even if it was just a weekend car.

Alternatives I considered were the Maserati GranCabrio, and, if I hadn't decided on needing rear seats, an R8 Spyder.

Spot on, my brother in law and I do a lot of fast road driving, but I scared the poo out of him the first time I took him out as a passenger in my MX5 on track, if a convertible is a compromise on the road, you're probably driving too fast, especially in anything but an MX5 type amount of power.

Edit:

And yeah, night driving is amazing.

I also quite enjoy seeing peoples reactions when there's snow on the ground and I've had the top down.

Soldato
Convertibles are great, anyone who says they're useless in the UK is a luddite who has never owned one.

Personally the 911 cab looks crap, with the roof up anyway. You lose the iconic 911 C pillar.

Soldato
What are we, 12 years old? "Ooooh, is my car cool? Will people like me? Give me your adoration, please please please!"

Convertibles are ace. Get the roof down and stop worrying what internet dickheads think about you.

Soldato
I much prefer the Elise with the roof off. Though its like sitting in a wind tunnel at 60+. You get a lot of deflection from the rear screen/roll bar.

I dont care what over people think, but you dont tend to get the same hate that Porsche drivers experience :p

And yea, night time is the best.

Soldato
I'd say if the car was originally designed as a convertible, it's probably cool. Anything that was a boring car before the roof got chopped off, will still be boring and terrible (206 CC, Focus, Evoque etc. etc. garbage).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Lol at those berating drop tops as crap, useless in the UK and a sign of my sexuality.

Frankly let’s see who smiles more when I’ve got the roof down in a car that actually engages me, whilst you’re in your humdrum TD.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Bentley Continental GTC
Good shout! The newer ones much more so than the older shape, but then that takes the price too high for an "everyday".

Boot space?
Cabin space?
Seating space?
Cool factor?
Timeless inside/out?
Driving enjoyment?
Everyday usability?

There's only one answer...

mhUK7yI.png
:D Unfortunately you can't own an old M3 any more when Ali in his new Type-R is not only going faster than you around the B-roads, but also having more fun...

Get a TVR, it'll put hairs on your chest :D
Hahaha :D If we are going classic then there are plenty of better choices :)

E89 Z4. /thread
Yes I agree... for my dad :p

The real issue is that true performance cars are never convertibles. The convertible version of any supercar is always overshadowed by the coupe version.

The true convertible is a wafty, comfortable car, for posers who want to enjoy the south of France weather. (Rolls Royce Corniche, etc.)

An open top sports car is perhaps different, for example the Catherham 7, Aerial Atom, etc which have been designed from the ground up not to have a roof and to go round a track full pelt.
True, they're fat and ugly or just average - there are no really enticing models until you get to the silly money.

Whilst this is all true, in the real world we aren't driving at 10 tenths, looking to eek the absolute performance out of every bend.
Speak for yourself :D

I’ve never owned a car with a roof. I’m such a beta male.

Depends on how old you are I guess.

Now I'm in my 40s I largely don't give a damn about people judging me on silly things like how feminine they think my car is.

Buy an old MX5, drive it like you stole it and get out with a grin on your face and your middle finger up at anyone who looks down on you!

I'm a proper beta male obviously and have little care about opinions..

Why would you 'feel embarassment' getting out of any car. The most beta move possible is giving a **** what other people think of you. Oh no, people in this car park (who almost certainly are thinking about something that has no relation to me or my car) may not feel positively about my motoring choice.

I love mine, gave up caring what people say in here ages ago :p

As it's a nice sunny day and I have to drive half way across the country I shall put the roof down and 'embarrass' myself.

What are we, 12 years old? "Ooooh, is my car cool? Will people like me? Give me your adoration, please please please!"

Convertibles are ace. Get the roof down and stop worrying what internet dickheads think about you.

Now I don't really understand all these comments - it appears I may have touched a nerve by my choice of language, however I'm not talking about alpha male macho nonsense, I'm talking about an appealing "oh man i'd love one of those" type of sports cabriolets which tick all boxes rather than having something-something not quite right.

In terms of the feminine comment, if that is what has caused the "beta male backlash" - if I gave you the choice of a fiat 500 and a fiat 500 abarth which would you choose? Now sit back down.

Disagree?

Quite like these (Alfa Romeo Spider):
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010245395303

Op needs one of these though if a convertible mustang is cool:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202007281769077
lol park that alpha next to this and then say that again...

rhKPWPjl.jpg

However I didn't say the mustang was cool, if you actually read the OP correctly :rolleyes:

Good thread OP. I'm in the early stages of doing some man maths/convincing the wife as to see what I might be able to get away with as weekend toy. Convertibles are tempting me but it's got to feel special and a real event. I'm struggling to find something that excites me that won't be ruinous to keep on the road.
Yes definitely. Lot's of people focusing on my use of the word "embarrassing" in the OP but the title is more accurate in terms of the opinion - they appear to be a rare breed.

Given i've only recently become aware of their existence i'll say this. Look there's even a man driving it in the advert :p

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/t-roc-cabriolet.html?---={"new_t-roc-cabriolet_sectiongroup_3822338_featureappsection":"/+/0"}
hahaha what?!

Soldato
To be clear, I'm posting here in good humour!

But, if I see someone in an MX5, im genuinely jealous.

Mine is stripped down to a supercharged roller skate while I take years to turn it into a space frame Exocet and I really miss it.

If I hadn't been made redundant at the start of Covid, I'd probably have thrown a grand at one with an MOT to last the summer.

As my brother in law said when he convinced me to buy an MX5 over a 350Z, Boxster or S2000 when I looked for a RWD toy...

"They're clit cars, no one notices them, even the police, even when you're being a bit silly with your right foot."

Soldato
I don’t know about cool, but recently I was looking at the AMG C63s and E53 convertibles. The latter certainly has a cool interior and being a hybrid with 400+Bhp must gain some cool points?

The E53 is probably the better all round car, it rode well and wafts along just fine. The C63s sounded amazing but was too firm for a convertible IMO.

What has always put me off convertibles (not open top sport cars) is the scuttle shake. You get this when cars weren’t designed from the ground up to be convertibles. The two mercs were very good in this regard, although the C63s’ rear view mirror still wobbled a little on poor road surfaces.

I binned the idea in the end (think my wife thought it could be the onset of an early midlife crisis) and bought a boring family estate.

Caporegime
The Alfa looks awful with the roof up though. Thats the issue with many convertibles. Look at the 350Z.

Also you'd much rather a 4 cylinder Alfa shopping trolley to that Mustang? :eek:

Soldato
Good shout! The newer ones much more so than the older shape, but then that takes the price too high for an "everyday".

:D Unfortunately you can't own an old M3 any more when Ali in his new Type-R is not only going faster than you around the B-roads, but also having more fun...

Hahaha :D If we are going classic then there are plenty of better choices :)

Yes I agree... for my dad :p

True, they're fat and ugly or just average - there are no really enticing models until you get to the silly money.

Speak for yourself :D

Now I don't really understand all these comments - it appears I may have touched a nerve by my choice of language, however I'm not talking about alpha male macho nonsense, I'm talking about an appealing "oh man i'd love one of those" type of sports cabriolets which tick all boxes rather than having something-something not quite right.

In terms of the feminine comment, if that is what has caused the "beta male backlash" - if I gave you the choice of a fiat 500 and a fiat 500 abarth which would you choose? Now sit back down.

Disagree?

lol park that alpha next to this and then say that again...

rhKPWPjl.jpg

However I didn't say the mustang was cool, if you actually read the OP correctly :rolleyes:

Yes definitely. Lot's of people focusing on my use of the word "embarrassing" in the OP but the title is more accurate in terms of the opinion - they appear to be a rare breed.

hahaha what?!

Comment was not aimed at you.

At other posters or people in general who feel that they can't buy a car because it'll look like "xyz" to some random passer by on the road.

Back
Top Bottom