Is there a demo for State of Decay?

Man of Honour
I'm browsing for older games and State of Decay might be what I'm after. A post-apocalypse survival game with some base building is something I'd like. But it's 3rd person, which I don't like, and it seems to be stealth-based, which I don't like. It's also £15 for an 8 year old game, so it's not a "Eh, may as well buy it just to try it" price. So I'd like a demo. I've seen some references to a demo, but I can't find one.

What I'd really like right now is Dead State Reanimated 2, but that's not a thing.

Man of Honour
OP
if it helps state of decay 2 is on gamepass

Thanks for the thought, but I don't want an Xbox Live account for my PC so SoD2 is a no-go. If it was a very good single player game I might think about it, but it isn't. Even though 1+2 is only £5 more than 1 by itself, I don't want it.

lol, PC demos are just not a thing any more, OP still thinks its 1990 something

The last game I bought, which was released on 17/12/2021, has a demo.

Some devs who genuinely think their game is good provide a demo. I agree that's very rare nowadays, but it's not unheard of.

Thank you ever so much for your wonderfully helpful answer.

Soldato
Thanks for the thought, but I don't want an Xbox Live account for my PC so SoD2 is a no-go. If it was a very good single player game I might think about it, but it isn't. Even though 1+2 is only £5 more than 1 by itself, I don't want it.

The last game I bought, which was released on 17/12/2021, has a demo.

Some devs who genuinely think their game is good provide a demo. I agree that's very rare nowadays, but it's not unheard of.

Thank you ever so much for your wonderfully helpful answer.

No problem... Nothing a search engine couldn't have told you...

Caporegime
lol, PC demos are just not a thing any more, OP still thinks its 1990 something
theres still demos even from big companies.

seems most would rather you play a few hours and be unable to get a refund when you realise it's crap though

Soldato
I'm browsing for older games and State of Decay might be what I'm after. A post-apocalypse survival game with some base building is something I'd like. But it's 3rd person, which I don't like, and it seems to be stealth-based, which I don't like. It's also £15 for an 8 year old game, so it's not a "Eh, may as well buy it just to try it" price. So I'd like a demo. I've seen some references to a demo, but I can't find one.

What I'd really like right now is Dead State Reanimated 2, but that's not a thing.
Only thing I can suggest it buy it on Steam, play for 30/45 mins and then take a break to see if you like it or not.

If you don't like the game, request a refund, if you do then carry on as normal.

As long as its under 2 weeks and 2 hours played you can request a refund. taken from the steam site.

I tend to do this with my son if he wishes to buy a new game as then its not money wasted

Where Refunds Apply
The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store. Here is an overview of how refunds work with other types of purchases.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

On the other hand you can search Steam for all game demos.

Click the magnifying glass in the steam store (top right) and then under "show selected types" tick "demos" and the list will be filtered for games with demos

Soldato
State of Decay is a pure classic. Get the Walking Dead mod and you can play with Rick etc. Get DLC Lifeline it changes the location to a city where you build up your base and defend it from the hoards, lay traps etc.
State of Decay 2 is a steaming pile of cack in comparision. When it came out it was riddle with bugs, floating zombies, zombies stuck half way inside door ways, game breaking bugs etc and at that point was only available via MS Store where it constantly reset when trying to download. Not sure whether they have fixed it but you would clear an area only for them to reappear next time you went to the same area. Admittedly not played it for ages but it left a sour taste in the mouth.

Its only worth getting for the Homecoming DLC which basically puts you in the State of Decay setting using the new "engine" with a slight twist on the first story.

SOD2 was a huge letdown after SOD1. Note I mean SOD1 not SOD1 YOSE where they seem to have also broken SOD1. Unfortunately the original isnt available to buy.

Oh and I just remembered they couldnt be bothered to fix the clipping bugs where you can get stuck on something they included an "unstuck option" to do it for you with SOD2!

and SOD3 is meant to be coming out....

Last edited:
Soldato
State of Decay is a pure classic. Get the Walking Dead mod and you can play with Rick etc. Get DLC Lifeline it changes the location to a city where you build up your base and defend it from the hoards, lay traps etc.
State of Decay 2 is a steaming pile of cack in comparision. When it came out it was riddle with bugs, floating zombies, zombies stuck half way inside door ways, game breaking bugs etc and at that point was only available via MS Store where it constantly reset when trying to download. Not sure whether they have fixed it but you would clear an area only for them to reappear next time you went to the same area. Admittedly not played it for ages but it left a sour taste in the mouth.

Its only worth getting for the Homecoming DLC which basically puts you in the State of Decay setting using the new "engine" with a slight twist on the first story.

SOD2 was a huge letdown after SOD1. Note I mean SOD1 not SOD1 YOSE where they seem to have also broken SOD1. Unfortunately the original isnt available to buy.

Oh and I just remembered they couldnt be bothered to fix the clipping bugs where you can get stuck on something they included an "unstuck option" to do it for you with SOD2!

and SOD3 is meant to be coming out....
I never knew there was a horde mod! Damn i need to get back into it, i would play it again just for this mode!

Soldato
There is a demo for Dead State: Reanimated on Steam. I guess its not 1990 after all :(

You can get the State of Decay 1 + 2 BUNDLE for £20.99 on Steam. If you think it's rubbish or don't get on with it, just do a Steam refund

Soldato
I never knew there was a horde mod! Damn i need to get back into it, i would play it again just for this mode!

Its actually good fun, there is a timer counting down to the next wave and you have to go out and scavenge in the city and get back in time to defend against the next wave. Its fun running out setting traps behind vehicles etc before the timer counts down then running back and watching them set off your traps and shoot them. You recruit new members and do little missions. Like the main game it can get quite repetitive but I really enjoyed it and completed it.

Downloaded SOD2 from Game pass just to see if it has improved any overtime although judging from reviews on Steam its still got the same issue of Zombies spawning behind you from nowhere etc.

Soldato
State of Decay is a pure classic.
Wot he said. SoD is a brilliant game and amongst my best zombie games. SoD2 I played for a bit last year and it felt way too similar - not a bad thing, but certainly a bad thing if you consider how long it took to make. I remember modding my SoD quite a bit because I hated refilling my vehicles or something to that end - fuel consumption became a headache as well as inventory.

There is repetition there but there is way more pros overall. I loved finding and fortifying new bases only to occasionally have them overrun! The game can go from tense to cack your pants tense in seconds.

Associate
You mention that it's currently £15, I'm guessing that's directly through steam?

If you check on CD keys a Steam key can be had for just under £5 £3, puts it well more into the 'worth a punt' price range.

Man of Honour
OP
Ah well, I watched some gameplay videos and decided it was worth a punt at £15.49. I'll play it tomorrow and see what I think of it.

Only thing I can suggest it buy it on Steam, play for 30/45 mins and then take a break to see if you like it or not.

If you don't like the game, request a refund, if you do then carry on as normal.

As long as its under 2 weeks and 2 hours played you can request a refund. taken from the steam site. [..]

I didn't know that. So it's sort of a demo for all games on Steam, in a way. Might be useful. Thank you.

Caporegime
Yeah, its handy but means you have to buy it through steam as getting it from key sites will not give you this ability.
and if you do it a lot they probably class it as abuse because obviously they don't want to handle millions of tickets for people who wanted to try out a game

Back
Top Bottom