Is there a gadget that exists for this use case?

Associate
Hi guys,

I've recently changed to a wfh job and got given a laptop.

I have an existing PC setup at home and would like to use the new laptop with my existing monitor, keyboard and mouse that is connected to my PC.

The issue is that I'm not able to easily switch between laptop and PC using the same monitor, keyboard and mouse...

The way I do it at the moment is by having my PC connected to the monitor DP input, and work laptop to HDMI, and toggle the input on my monitor for whichever one I want to use at the time.
As for keyboard and mouse I have connected both to a USB hub which I have to physically unplug each time to either the PC or laptop and I'm only in my first week and the process is getting old.

Surely there's an easier way?

IMG-0969.jpg

Soldato
You want a KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse).

I'm not sure if OCUK stock them or not and the search function is a bit poo on mobile or I'd link some options.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry I should have mentioned my home PC uses a 165hz monitor for gaming and so I'm not aware of KVMs being viable for that unless I'm out of touch with things.
I'm also fussy about any latency so it might just be that I have to continue plugging and unplugging....

Soldato
I have a big desk with like an under bit for keyboard mouse.

So when working I have the work keyboard and mouse on that, gaming stuff I sits on my case. Then when I'm done work, I'll chuck it on the top bit which is still in reach at short notice if I need to and put my gaming pc stuff there from them on.

I also switch monitor inputs around.

Yes it's a bit faffy, but I've done it that way for well over 5 years.

I also spend a lot of work time playing, if you put teams on your mobile phone you can answer video calls and no one will know what's behind the phone.

I'll often be gaming in the middle of meetings.

I have 2 monitors for work, so always keep one up keep and keep eye on emails etc whilst the other is on PUBG mostly, or been getting into Minecraft more recently.

Soldato
Oh, you got a mouse wiggler?

I made my own using an AA battery holder with switch, low rpm 3v motor and plastic stuff from the house and tape.

Although mate of mine (genius idea) had an old wrist watch, he just rested his mouse on that and the second hand was enough to set the mouse off.

Soldato
Sorry I should have mentioned my home PC uses a 165hz monitor for gaming and so I'm not aware of KVMs being viable for that unless I'm out of touch with things.
I'm also fussy about any latency so it might just be that I have to continue plugging and unplugging....

There's KVM's that support 4-8K at 60hz as well as higher refresh rates at lower resolutions last I checked.

Associate
Wait.
Gimmie a sec, I have the same setup.

Get a usb3 to hdmi/dp* cable from the laptop the monitor.

*the input you don't use for your main computer.

Get a UGREEN usb3 hub switch from the rainforest online for the mouse and keyboard.

Job sorted

Man of Honour
I have two monitors but on a Tuesday morning I bring down a spare 24" monitor that I keep upstairs that cost me £30.
That way I can still keep an eye on my PC monitor, my mainly tv/video monitor and my work monitor at the same time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wait.

Get a UGREEN usb3 hub switch from the rainforest online for the mouse and keyboard.

Job sorted
I have very similar. A USB 3.0 switch that has my Corsair KB and Gaming race mouse connected to it and then a cable that runs to the laptop and a cable that runs to the desktop. It auto switches if I turn one on but I can also manually switch between the two. The laptop has a HDMI cable that plugs into the monitor and DisplayPort from the desktop. All I need to do is change the input on the monitor in the morning and back again in the evening.

Associate
OP
Wait.

Job sorted
I wasn't aware of these USB hub switches thank you for that.

Just to check, is there any benefit in getting the USB 3.0 to HDMI cable? When I am using a standard HDMI cable to connect the laptop at the moment?

Soldato
I use an old KVM switch for the same usage scenario but only utilize the keyboard and mouse. The video I have go direct from each device and just swap inputs on the monitor to maximise refresh rates and minimise latency. Also allows the KVM cost to be low as opposed to buying one that supports high Res and refresh.

Associate
I use an old KVM switch for the same usage scenario but only utilize the keyboard and mouse. The video I have go direct from each device and just swap inputs on the monitor to maximise refresh rates and minimise latency. Also allows the KVM cost to be low as opposed to buying one that supports high Res and refresh.

I do exactly this too. Gaming set up and work laptop using all the same kit. Works well as monitors automatically switch input when one machine powers on/off.

Soldato
Logitech G613 keyboard + G603 mouse.

Connect to main PC via dongles (USB) and work laptop by bluetooth.
Buttons on both to flip between connections.

The USB wireless 'Lightspeed' connection is supposed to be very low latency.... I've never had an issue.

Bonus no cables

Associate
OP
Hmm so I received my £10 USB switch but getting some performance issues with my keyboard when pressing keys quickly they will sometimes not register or register twice with one press, so I have ordered another more expensive switch from another more well known manufacturer to test.

Soldato
I wfh and have a desktop PC which is mine and a laptop provided by my work.

What I have done is connected my monitor via Display Port to my desktop and then ran another cable which is HDMI to my laptop.

The monitor detects what is on and display works and if I do have both on I have the ability to change to either through the monitor menus.

For the keyboard and mouse I use a USB switch.

This has a USB cable running to the laptop and my desktop with my mouse and keyboard connected to it. This also has a button on it which I can press if I need to switch over but most of the time one or the other is on, Link below but its no longer sold but you get an idea

Back
Top Bottom