Is there any one single course I could do to get a starting/entry job in IT?

Associate
Alright, I need a career!

I say career and not career change as I've never really had a career! I've always done manual work and it's been great and a lot of fun, but I'm getting older and the aches and pains are getting too much..

I want to get into IT, because it's really and truly my only other interest that I could see as a means of making a living..

However, the prospect of knowing which steps to take first is overly daunting and I need some help and advice..

A push in the right direction to say it bluntly!

I am a quick learner and would prefer something I can do as speedily as my own ability allows so I can get into it as soon as humanly possible!

Any info or advise are very much appreciated!

Caporegime
Depends what you want to do - if you're looking at the very basic roles like working on a helpdesk etc.. then lots of people seem to go for CompTIA A+, doesn't need a course per see AFAIK you can just teach yourself (plenty of online resources and/or books out there) and just book the exam.

Alternatively, get a degree if you don't have one? Some degree apprenticeship schemes allow you to work and study at the same time.

Soldato
Do you build your own computers? Can you install Windows / Linux / Applications / Printers / Peripherals and diagnose and fix problems with them when they happen? Have you ever installed Windows Server, created a domain and joined workstations to it?

If yes to the above, welcome to Level 1 Windows Support.

If no, I've just given you a list of things to learn to get started. :)

Underboss
A+ is a good starting point, gives you lots of information and sets out the basics.

1st line for my place is a lot about aptitude and willingness to learn and most importantly great customer service.

Associate
OP
Depends what you want to do - if you're looking at the very basic roles like working on a helpdesk etc.. then lots of people seem to go for CompTIA A+, doesn't need a course per see AFAIK you can just teach yourself (plenty of online resources and/or books out there) and just book the exam.

Alternatively, get a degree if you don't have one? Some degree apprenticeship schemes allow you to work and study at the same time.

Thanks dowie, it's a good informative answer. I suspect getting a degree is something to look at in the future after getting my foot in thr door, so to speak..

Do you build your own computers? Can you install Windows / Linux / Applications / Printers / Peripherals and diagnose and fix problems with them when they happen? Have you ever installed Windows Server, created a domain and joined workstations to it?

If yes to the above, welcome to Level 1 Windows Support.

If no, I've just given you a list of things to learn to get started. :)

Thanks Moley, it's a resounding yes to all of the above apart from Windows server.

I am reasonably good with networking on Windows itself, but I suspect the server part of it will be a bit more involved..

Is there a test I can take to get a qualification in Level 1 support? If yes, will it be benificial and enough to start applying for jobs straight away or will I need more behind me?

A+ is a good starting point, gives you lots of information and sets out the basics.

1st line for my place is a lot about aptitude and willingness to learn and most importantly great customer service.

Thanks Josh, I've been into PC's since the early 2000's and I've built, troubleshooted and fixed a lot of PC's along the way.

Would the A+ you're refering to be to same CompTIA A+ one @dowie mentioned above?

Underboss
Thanks Josh, I've been into PC's since the early 2000's and I've built, troubleshooted and fixed a lot of PC's along the way.

Would the A+ you're refering to be to same CompTIA A+ one @dowie mentioned above?

Yeah that's the one, having the cert is nice but having the knowledge is better imo. You can always get the cert once you've got some hands on experience in an enterprise.

Caporegime
Thanks dowie, it's a good informative answer. I suspect getting a degree is something to look at in the future after getting my foot in thr door, so to speak..

You don't necessarily need to be working in IT to start a part-time or online degree (and working on a helpdesk or doing some basic desktop support might not be all that relevant to what you're studying anyway) alternatively a degree apprenticeship kills two birds with one stone so to speak as you'd start both at the same time.

Also perhaps your local further education college offers foundation degrees or similar(these are equivalent to 2/3rds of a regular bachelor's degree) if you felt that might be more suitable.

Associate
OP
Yeah that's the one, having the cert is nice but having the knowledge is better imo. You can always get the cert once you've got some hands on experience in an enterprise.

Sure, but how to get in without having any sort of certificate..?

Soldato
Sure, but how to get in without having any sort of certificate..?
Do what I did - email local tech support firms in your area and let them know the situation/ ask for an entry level position. I hired 2 or 3 folk in a similar position to you. 1 flopped entirely, the other was a Jessops lifer that used his redundancy to come and work for free for a month. If you want it, don't get entirely consumed by "doing certs" - with or without them you need to get yourself out there. Local tech firms are great for this and their customers are mostly absolutely total techno-phobes so you're pretty low risk.

Associate
OP
You don't necessarily need to be working in IT to start a part-time or online degree (and working on a helpdesk or doing some basic desktop support might not be all that relevant to what you're studying anyway) alternatively a degree apprenticeship kills two birds with one stone so to speak as you'd start both at the same time.

Also perhaps your local further education college offers foundation degrees or similar(these are equivalent to 2/3rds of a regular bachelor's degree) if you felt that might be more suitable.

Okay, hang on... am I correct in understanding that a degree apprenticeship is something I could start straight away without having any formal IT qualifications?

If so, where do I get more information on this please?

Associate
OP
Do what I did - email local tech support firms in your area and let them know the situation/ ask for an entry level position. I hired 2 or 3 folk in a similar position to you. 1 flopped entirely, the other was a Jessops lifer that used his redundancy to come and work for free for a month. If you want it, don't get entirely consumed by "doing certs" - with or without them you need to get yourself out there. Local tech firms are great for this and their customers are mostly absolutely total techno-phobes so you're pretty low risk.

Thanks for the advise dLockers, when you say "tech support companies", do you mean search online for tech support jobs and then just contact them via email or ultimately apply for the job while being transparent about experience/qualifications?

Soldato
Thanks for the advise dLockers, when you say "tech support companies", do you mean search online for tech support jobs and then just contact them via email or ultimately apply for the job while being transparent about experience/qualifications?
I mean look for local tech support firms just like your local accountants or architects would when they need IT support. Don't worry about whether they are offering a job or not.

Land on their website, drop them a cold email explaining the situation. I think I blasted about 10 or 15 out, got 1 bite; worked there for a year at least. Set me up pretty well.

Associate
OP
I mean look for local tech support firms just like your local accountants or architects would when they need IT support. Don't worry about whether they are offering a job or not.

Land on their website, drop them a cold email explaining the situation. I think I blasted about 10 or 15 out, got 1 bite; worked there for a year at least. Set me up pretty well.

Aha, I get it..

Thank you for all the advise! I'll get on it!

Soldato
I'd recommend the CompTIA course as being the first step to get an it job.

I would say though that despite what folk imagine most IT support jobs don't pay that well (compared to other trades like plumbers/electricians/etc), demand quite a lot of time outside work studying to keep on top of new technologies/platforms and it's pretty tricky to get a foot in the door as a first job.

But if it's what you want to do go for it!

Caporegime
Okay, hang on... am I correct in understanding that a degree apprenticeship is something I could start straight away without having any formal IT qualifications?

If so, where do I get more information on this please?

Yup, don't need any IT experience, just the usual requirements as per most degree program - A-levels or equivalent.*

The difference is that unlike a regular 3 year degree program these tend to be spread over at least 4 years (or more) and you're working & earning money at the same time. (remember regular undergrad programs run from the end of September to the following May so have like 5 months+ off each year inc generous Easter and Christmas holidays, instead, you'll be spreading your academic studies out more and presumably won't have so much time off because you'll have a job too)

It's only a modest salary (I think you're probably looking at starting on 20-something and finishing on circa 35k at the end of the 4+ years) and the degrees are probably more vocational than academic but you'll not have any student debt + you'll have 4+ years experience and a degree.

Better than working on some helpdesk or desktop support job + no degree.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/apprenticeships/degree-apprenticeships

*If you don't have A-levels or equivalent then you'll probably need to look to your local further education college first - you might be able to start a foundation degree of get an access course which will allow you to start a regular degree, some degrees have foundation courses or check out the OU, they don't have entry requirements and can bring you up to speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would strongly suggest you lean on local firms and demonstrate enthusiasm. Most don't give a crap about certs or degrees, unless there Is a vendor kick back (e.g. Microsoft are big ones where the certs are valued) or specific client demand. They'll see CompTIA as so basic it is almost irrelevant if you don't have it.

Soldato
I would strongly suggest you lean on local firms and demonstrate enthusiasm. Most don't give a crap about certs or degrees, unless there Is a vendor kick back (e.g. Microsoft are big ones where the certs are valued) or specific client demand. They'll see CompTIA as so basic it is almost irrelevant if you don't have it.

Personally I think that enthusiasm alone is unlikely to get you a foot in the door if you don't have any IT related qualifications or prior work experience in the field.

As such I'd recommend doing something and the CompTIA qualifications are a good place to start for a more generalised qualification to show aptiture and demonstrate that you're willing to show initiative when it comes to self-study.

Soldato
Personally I think that enthusiasm alone is unlikely to get you a foot in the door if you don't have any IT related qualifications or prior work experience in the field.

As such I'd recommend doing something and the CompTIA qualifications are a good place to start for a more generalised qualification to show aptiture and demonstrate that you're willing to show initiative when it comes to self-study.
Okay I'll concede basic ones like CompTIA (I'd avoid a 4 year apprentice degree like suggested above) - but for sure, self study. Don't pay some facility to guide you through. If you don't have resolve at this stage then you'll struggle to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom