Is there any point in socket 775 ?

Associate
Just curious as to what to get these days, I have not been in here for a while, as my other interest (MTB) had my attention for a bit.

Now some time back I had planned to get an E8500 with a Biostar I45 mobo, with 4gb of PC-8500, a Samsung 1TB F1 and a Blue Ray drive, oh and a BeQuiet 650w PSU.

I have a Saphire 4870 1gb Toxic graphics card, and 4gb of PC6400 and a Scythe Kama Angle socket 775 cooler. So could have bought the memory later.

I also have a Silverstone L13 HTPC case I was planning on putting this all in.

I guess what I am wondering is, are the mobo/cpu/ram above easilly improved on for the same sort of money? Or are they still worthwhile? Or would the above mobo and memory be fine with a Q9550? I guess the mobo/cpu/ram budget would be around £350 ish?

From what I can see the new Samsung F3, BeQuiet PSU and Blue Ray drive are all similar, recommended and same sort of price brackets as the old price kit so no queries there.

Cheers,
Steve

Associate
OP
From what I have been reading i5 is not worth going for, and though it would cost around £400 for an i5 set up, an i7 set up would only be around £80 more and considerably better?

Socket 775 kit £350 or so
i5 kit £393 or so
i7 kit £473 or so

Maybe I should sell up some old kit and go for i7,

Core i7 DO £205
Gigabyte UD3R £136
But what memory, I would have thought the Corsair Dominator with fan kit would have to be the one LOL, 6GB kits with fans start at around £150?

And would it be worth adding a second Saphire Toxic 1gb or holding out till new cards come along?

You can tell the cold weather is comming in, I can see a few unfinished bike projects left lying around or with parts sold if I keep reading magazines and forums again.

Associate
It always depends what you're going for.

With the advent of i5, there's no longer much point getting S775.

Budget builds = AM3 (Or 2+)
"Normal" builds = AM3 or i5
Got a bit of money = AM3 or i7

If I was buying new hardware I wouldn't consider S775 at all, but at the same time there's no point upgrading from S775 for most people, unless your needs change.

Back
Top Bottom