1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there anything wrong with using another DNS Server?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Ricochet J, 1 Jun 2006.

1. Ricochet J

Capodecina

As title really. I'm currently on Tiscali, and their DNS servers are lacking, seriously lacking.
    In TCP/IP controls I am currently obtaining my DNS addresses from my ISP.
    If I configure my DNS statically using another ISPs DNS server will my security be compromised? Also, will I breaking the law?

Cheers :)

2. senorstealth

PermaBanned

No you can use any DNS server you want, there is nothing to say that you must use your own ISP's.

3. senorstealth

PermaBanned

That is unless they state in there terms and conditions, that you must use theirs

4. Burbleflop

Mobster

You can try, no guarantees it'll work. Ie, try to use Zen's name servers from a non Zen IP and it'll tell you to go away. Same as if you try to use my name servers - they'll only answer recursively for the IP ranges that I specified.

5. senorstealth

PermaBanned

Try finding an independant DNS server somewhere, google will probably come up a good list

6. jon86

Mobster

Quickly had a look at the T&C's and I could not find anything to say you can't use a different DNS. However, the service status page suggests Tiscali's DNS' might be experiencing some problems.