is there such a thing?

Associate
im trying to source a dvi splitter box, like the old scart ones that you could have more than 1 device connected to my dvi monitor with a switchable box to change my device, i use my screen to run my ps3 on as well as my pc, and its a pain having to swap the cables over all the time, can anyone help?

Associate
OP
i can only find cable ones, and there is no way to select what device i want to use
im assuming, if for instance, i have my pc on, and i decide i want to play my ps3, it would end up sending 2 signals to my screen and confuse it

Soldato
I used to have a similar setup.

I used a HDMI to DVI adapter to run the PS3 on my monitor and used VGA from the PC to the monitor. I could then switch the input via the monitor.

Does your monitor have DVI and VGA? If your GPU doesnt have a VGA output a DVI to VGA adapter would probably be a cheaper option than running a splitter box

Soldato
Does your monitor have speakers built in? How do you listen to the audio from the PS3?

I presume the monitor has HDMI if your using it with the PS3? If it also has a DVI or VGA which it should... then you can just use two cables and use the source selector on the monitor.

Remember, DVI & VGA wont carry audio where HDMI will. DVI is also the preferred interface over VGA.

Soldato
The OP said he is sick of switching cables and clearly stated it's a DVI monitor. I would imagine it has VGA too, expecting HDMI might be a bit too hopeful. Besides monitor speakers are generally rubbish I wouldnt want to use them.

The PS3 allows you to use the analogue output to run audio through speakers/amp/soundcard with the RCA cables whilst using the HDMI output for video. The OP either has a HDMI to DVI cable or adapter like I used to use.

The OP needs to state what connectors his monitor has as well as his gfx cards output options, if we are to suggest an non splitter option that will definately work.

Associate
OP
hi, sorry i shouldve stated that, my own fault for posting at stupid oclock lol, i use a hdmi to dvi adapter from my ps3 to screen, and the audio goes through other devices, i do not wish to drop my pc quality down through vga, and my screen does not have hdmi.

Soldato
I knew what you were doing as I did the same.

How about buying a hdmi to vga lead then for the PS3 and run the pc off the DVI? Should be around £10 for the cable. I run an old xbox (non hdmi) through VGA and the picture quality is still excellent. Infact using the vga lead eliminated display lag which was noticable once I changed from component input.

I've looked at DVI switches. Cheap one is around £10 they only seem to support upto 1080i (720p essentially), so VGA would be better. Although they do go upto silly money £100+ which is pointless you may as well buy a second monitor for that outlay.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
meh, really dont wanna go back to using vga, it was always so sucky, the picture quality was pretty poor imo, the cheap switch your mentioning sounds ok, i can deal with 1080i

Soldato
You want a switcher, not a splitter. A splitter will send once source to one or many outputs. You want one or many sources going to one output. I have a 3 to 1 HDMI switched downstairs, but I don't know about DVI (get a DVI to HDMI adapter perhaps?).

Soldato
It's down to you buddy.

My PS3 YLOD'd so i now run the Xbox through the VGA and the PC through the DVI. I had the xbox VGA lead for the telly anyway so it made sense. I'm happy with the quality, set the xbox to output at native resolution and expanded the colour option to get it at it's best.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I can't see that OC do the switches so you'll have to look around as we can't link competitors

Soldato
Associate
OP
the phono inputs/outputs will come in handy for my outputs, my sound for ps3 goes through my chair and a turtlebeach, and my pc goes through my chair too

Last edited:
Soldato
When I said dvi splitter I actually meant DVI switcher. Slip of the keyboard there I'm afraid.

Anyway the top result speaks of a sub £10 item being sold on the rainforest company that allows two inputs to be plugged in and allows you to switch which you'd like to display.

Soldato
When I said dvi splitter I actually meant DVI switcher. Slip of the keyboard there I'm afraid.

Anyway the top result speaks of a sub £10 item being sold on the rainforest company that allows two inputs to be plugged in and allows you to switch which you'd like to display.

How do mate? Not seen you in a while ;)

I know what you meant and i made the same error in my first post. I thought the adapter and VGA method would be cheaper so suggested it. Think the OP is well on his way now

Back
Top Bottom