Is this an impossible case request?

Associate
I'm hoping somebody on here will provide a quick response to make me go, doh! of course!

However I am having great difficulty in finding a case that meets my fairly short requirements...

Needs to fit a Supermicro H11DSi-NT motherboard, so SSI EEB EATX

2 x 140x280mm AIO Watercooler
s (Enermax LiqTech TR4 280) had to get the RGB as the v2 doesn't come without, hoping the RGB can be disabled.

Front panel IO with USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C, or whatever they're calling it this week

No Tempered glass and no RGB as they're for an office.

I mistakenly tried the Fractal Design R6, only to discover the EATX support doesn't extend to SSI EEB.

I've looked at the Lian Li V3000WX, but that only comes with tempered glass, same I think for anything that can fit the motherboard in the Phanteks range.

I previously built our workstations using Lian Li V2000, nice clean looks, great build quality and fits everything, however is seems even Lian Li have succumbed to the fad of tempered glass :mad:

Is this an impossible request?

Associate
OP
Thanks, although ideally not windowed or tempered glass.

Both the Fractal Design and Lian Li options have USB Type C on the front panel, unfortunately one can't fit the motherboard and the other only comes with a glass side.

OcUK Staff
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-pro-mid-tower-case-black-ca-003-pt.html is the closest I can think of. Should fit the motherboard, closed side panel, no RGB. Compromises would have to be on the watercoolers - can only fit a 240mm at the front. Also, you would need to add a 5.25" USB3.1 Type-C drive bay like the Akasa one - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-front-bay-for-usb-2.0-3.0-3.1-hd-059-ak.html . That's about as close as you'd get. Don't think any cases come with USB3.2 yet either, 3.1 Type-C is the best so far (afaik)

Associate
OP
Thanks, although it doesn't look like the Entho pro has USB C

Also being plastic I'm not convinced it will stand up to an office environment, the lian li v2000 cases have lasted years, with rebuilds and upgrades along the way, and they are still as sturdy as they day they were bought.

Other plastic cases we have bought are falling apart despite being much younger, I don't mind spending a bit on the case, they will be around for quite a while, but I would like to future proof to an extent with USB C on the front IO

Soldato
I mistakenly tried the Fractal Design R6, only to discover the EATX support doesn't extend to SSI EEB.

I previously built our workstations using Lian Li V2000, nice clean looks, great build quality and fits everything, however is seems even Lian Li have succumbed to the fad of tempered glass :mad:
Define R6 isn't E-ATX case.
Few cm more room for motherboard doesn't qualify for that.
Define XL is Fractal design's only E-ATX case.

Yeah, Lian Li has shamefully done full U-turn and gone for bling bling fashion only designs.

Don't think any cases come with USB3.2 yet either, 3.1 Type-C is the best so far (afaik)
Actually USB3(.0) is now officially USB 3.2 because no one hasn't yet taken crowbar and smashed some sense into marketroids of USB-IF:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-to-make-the-current-usb-branding-even-worse/

Associate
OP
Yes it definitely would if the other criteria are met, although I could change the watercoolers for another size if that makes it feasible.

Currently installing Dual EPYC 7451 for 3D rendering, possible upgrade when the next gen versions start shipping.

Associate
OP
Checked out the PC-V760, but can't tell if the drive bays are removable to fit a front radiator, otherwise it can only fit 1 radiator in the top.

Thanks for the in-win link, not sure they look watercooling aware though.

So given the willingness to compromise on front usb-c, and or maybe going for 2 x 240mm radiators, all in a non bling, non tempered glass, well built cases, are there other options?

Associate
OP
OK, so I think my original question has proved to be a definitive yes, these fairly meager requirements are not being met by any case manufacturer, the tempered glass fad has taken over virtually every design, ruining the options for everyone who doesn't want to go this route, shame!

I may have a potential solution, I'm not sure, but would like some advice, looking at the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2.0, it meets the watercooling and USB type C requirements, only failing on the tempered glass, however although it's glass only on rev 2, the rev 1 did come with a solid side panel as standard, and looks almost identical to the rev 2, so does anybody know if the panels from a rev 1 would fit a rev 2.

I'd be happy to buy both, swap the panels and then sell on the tempered glass rev 1, which did come with that option anyway.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion, although that states EATX, it only supports up to 280mmm, not full SSI EEB EATX, same problem I faced with the 2 Fractal Design R6's I mistakenly bought

Associate
OP
I think I might have a successful conclusion thanks to Be Quiet!

I asked Be Quiet! about the compatibility between rev 2 & 1 if the Dark Base Pro 900, and they confirmed that they are interchangeable, and even better would be happy to do a swap for me by sending the glass panels back to them, great customer service I must say.

Back
Top Bottom