Is this case any good?

Associate
I have one, it's OK but just need to keep in mind the maximum gpu and PSU length.

For instance my R9 290 just fits (maximum is 320mm for the gpu for this case I think)

My superflower PSU wouldn't fit and was way too long (I'm pretty sure it can be 160mm length maximum, but a little shorter for modules supplies)

Other than those small points it's been a very good case for me (currently running a Haswell-E setup with an R9 290 with no issues in this case)

Associate
OP
Soldato
MATX cases are a bit thin on the ground, but the Prodigy is a bit 'meh' IMO. If it were me I'd be waiting for the upcoming Evolv MATX. Looks very nice... (see first part of video below)

Soldato
Keep in mind the dimensions of MATX cases.

When I was looking, I wanted to significantly downsize from my ATX setup (particularly the case depth), but didn't want the limitations of ITX (only 1 port etc), so I thought MATX would be the ideal solution. What I found in practice is that a lot of MATX cases are nearly ATX sized and weren't small enough for me. I discounted the Prodigy as it was too deep.

I went for a Cooltek U3 in the end, and find it just the right size... big enough for MATX, a couple of drives/ssds and a decent GPU (some GPUs don't find, but the reference mid-high end GPUs are normally OK - I've a GTX680 in mine). No optical drive, but I rarely use one, so I fitted an e-sata/molex PCI backplate and made up a sata/power cable so I can just connect up a normal desktop drive externally as required - this is only really if I need to rip/burn something.

http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo/u-series/92/u3

Dimensions (WxHxD)
Bitfenix Prodigy - 250mm x 404mm x 359mm
Cooltek U3 - 208mm x 371mm x 270 mm

Soldato
josh3190;30496366 said:
Thanks a lot Legend,

Can't stream the vid right now due to bandwidth issues working on a boat offshore, when are these planned for release?

Any thoughts on https://www.overclockers.co.uk/fractal-design-node-804-micro-atx-case-black-window-ca-022-fd.html

100 seems a lot for an mATX case though....

I don't know if there is an official release date, but before the summer I think. It is supposed to be very affordable (around same price as existing version). Air 240 isn't a bad option either, and would be better than the Prodigy, and Cooltek do have some good cases, the U3 as mentioned and a few others. Even the W2 actually, which although an ATX case is very compact.

Soldato
Legend;30496689 said:
Air 240 isn't a bad option either, and would be better than the Prodigy, and Cooltek do have some good cases, the U3 as mentioned and a few others. Even the W2 actually, which although an ATX case is very compact.

There are better options than the U3 if you want lots of airflow, lots of hard drives or are more flexible on size, but I found the U3 was one of the few really small MATX cases :)

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice I've never bought an mATX before so it's all new to me.

The main thing is downsizing from my 650D which is just a beast...

I looked at the corsair 240, no optical drive on this one right? The gf plays the Sims 4 through EA Origins and needs the DVD but no way past this is there?

I'll definitely take a look at the U3 too,

Thanks guys

Soldato
josh3190;30498312 said:
I looked at the corsair 240, no optical drive on this one right? The gf plays the Sims 4 through EA Origins and needs the DVD but no way past this is there?

I haven't used an optical bay drive in years, I just have a USB DVD-RW drive that I plug in when needed. That would be the solution, they work just as well. There's really no need for 5.25" optical drives nowadays.

Soldato
The Fractal and the Corsair are compartmented, i imagine quite easy to build in, but are also a bit wider. the Bitfenix case and its sister models below are a very tight build. everything has to be put in in the correct order and you need to choose the components carefully , also the side panel has all the mobo headers on it which can be fiddley. I have the phenom in the living room, and it does look great. (dont get the ITX versions confused with MATX they have a different motherboard and PSU layout)

I have also used the Antec ISK600m case in another build, the material quality is not quite as good as the bitfenix, but it does have a slimline optical drive bay

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £297.98
(includes shipping: £25.14)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info Legend,

Kurgen, your help is much appreciated,

Any thoughts on the Corsair Obsidian 350D?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...o-atx-case-black-cc-9011029-ww-ca-122-cs.html

Seems like a big ass mATX case....

Leaning towards the 240 at this stage plus it comes with a free cooler, not sure if it is any good but with a windowed case would be nice to not have a massive fan/heatsink combo sticking up from the CPU anymore too. I'm not OC'ing the CPU much atm so I guess I could use it and see if it is any good and then if not get a proper 240mm rad for the front of the case?

Would this be a reasonable thing to do? Never installed an AOI before and there seem to be so many no idea which are good/bad

Soldato
the 350d justlooks like any other matx tower doesnt look like a lot for your money,

that 240 with the free AIO cooler looks like a great deal, HOWEVER i googled it and that AIO only fits to ITX motherboards.. so you could sell it on and get another AIO or air cooler

Associate
OP
Ah damn that sucks!

Do you think there would be any leeway to email OC and ask them if they could change it with another product of similar price that fits an mATX mobo?

Associate
josh3190;30498312 said:
Hey guys,

FWIW with anything more than a medium sized GFX card in the Prodigy M you wouldn't fit an optical drive in that anyway. (pic of my setup below for an idea of how tight space is in the BitFenix mATX cases)

6ECXYwDEG3XH3ttioUQPUQtF_5vEjWd8Zhs8HBA_LHezdnG-yHzYKaap71MIJw7cC00OyxziwkRvlXqPHU-u14a_AbGqHpztOZfWzOGrzwYuqOFEFzMqz418ojvFmLvqxWI1AeHARv2hoc-WtYhXmsLAArkMyEhacuizs-Fa6gTwDrnhKygTwcjGW_WzUtV1DaSwmCiDELxcHuTloGlHDp5ADK4BuHpYHq4EQZnE6vSS2F5d8UBtkSoI9UA5oBP8d5cE1b73jesiqiqG8DhLpWr3h4nDjJnLF0fXe6U1t8Amcf2jh4ubvyhh-u2TaDEpVYBO4Umn3Xs2kXca07o_psSKtWv3hgaiXZwchWYh1X9M-XMm1ZeL540Wr7IF3O4Y_ilKIsSQdEeaQRuCOGZNXv22irEr9VZE3tJgGFCdyyv45OGEthza5k6yoMG_SG0LP98j1pVAMGpXuGxiiQXwpXyIiYB-Cb-kS7uFCYYlXxXVCReFkHdKV_eSttjvUkixYQf_H4Z13lf7Fah6uSo6qi77vg4ue0Zqa2VO24cyeswCGCWnT4z15hdqEOjYMqKq4aNa=w864-h648-no

Associate
Ohhh ....

josh3190;30499205 said:
Thanks for the info Legend,
Leaning towards the 240 at this stage plus it comes with a free cooler, not sure if it is any good but with a windowed case would be nice to not have a massive fan/heatsink combo sticking up from the CPU anymore too

That's a really nice deal, even tho the free AIO cooler is really ITX only. You could sell the ITX AIO on and get some ££ back from the case ;)

The 240 is probably king for airflow wrt mATX cases

Associate
OP
Hey Apache14,

Thanks for uploading that picture, it does look snug in there!

What makes the cooler ITX only out of interest? Is it how it is mounted/attached to the mobo? As i saw it is compatible with the CPU socket I have, I've emailed OCUK to see if they could somehow do a swap, long shot but there you go...

Due to inexperience of building in smaller cases I am most likely going to go with the Corsair 240 and hopefully either get a swapped cooler or take the bundled one and sell on to make some $$$ back

Anyone got any good recommendations for a 240mm rad to put in the 240? Seems to be a big fluctuation in price for 240mm from around 60-130 quid...

Cheers for the help guys will be clicking the order button soon!

Associate
OP
Hey Apache14,

Thanks for uploading that picture, it does look snug in there!

What makes the cooler ITX only out of interest? Is it how it is mounted/attached to the mobo? As i saw it is compatible with the CPU socket I have, I've emailed OCUK to see if they could somehow do a swap, long shot but there you go...

Due to inexperience of building in smaller cases I am most likely going to go with the Corsair 240 and hopefully either get a swapped cooler or take the bundled one and sell on to make some $$$ back

Anyone got any good recommendations for a 240mm rad to put in the 240? Seems to be a big fluctuation in price for 240mm from around 60-130 quid...

Cheers for the help guys will be clicking the order button soon!

Back
Top Bottom