Is this even possible?

Associate
Sidestepping the chip shortage issue and assuming it will change before we have any further green/red team releases, and using current hardware only…

… is 4k, 144hz+ gaming possible?

It seems like 4k at anything close to 60fps is a challenge in all but the simplest games (dwarf fortress anyone?) and the current iteration of bignavi is focused on bringing 4k gaming into at least the 60fps field if not a little more,

So for someone like myself that prioritises refresh rate over resolution, it seems like if I built a 6800/6900 system then my only playable factors would be
a) 60hz 4k mode for games that don’t benefit from high refresh rate (eye candy games, low motion, flatter)
b) 144hz 1440p mode for games that are more action paced and accept the lower resolution

I’d love to have both but is that even a possibility and do I want to spend 3k+ building a system that could end up being seriously bottlenecked and I would have got the same job done with something half the price?

Associate
OP
You need a 4k 144hz monitor then run it at 60hz for 4k and 144hz for 1440p.

I suspected, and in that case I’m making a judgement call on a game by game basis which ones I need to focus on.

It seems that no matter what, there looks like there is no chance to get 144hz (or even north 60!) at 4k

Soldato
I’ve been playing a bit of Battlefield 4 and I can achieve 60 to 80fps at 4K medium settings, that game was released in 2013 so fairly old now.

Just picked up a copy of Battlefield 5 and I run it at 2560x1440 high settings and achieve 60 to 80fps, that game was released in 2018 so getting a bit long in the tooth as well.

I need a new graphics card to go anywhere near 4K at 60 to 80fps at medium to high settings but I’m not paying the silly prices currently being offered.

Associate
OP
I’ve been playing a bit of Battlefield 4 and I can achieve 60 to 80fps at 4K medium settings, that game was released in 2013 so fairly old now.

Just picked up a copy of Battlefield 5 and I run it at 2560x1440 high settings and achieve 60 to 80fps, that game was released in 2018 so getting a bit long in the tooth as well.

I need a new graphics card to go anywhere near 4K at 60 to 80fps at medium to high settings but I’m not paying the silly prices currently being offered.

and on the totally devils advocate side of things, I’m not totally sure 144hz is all I need, it may just be that I need something to soften the motion a little and give me that smooth feeling you get with high hz displays. I suppose if I really wanted to test my tolerance for this, I should find a game I know relies on motion and start bench testing my own eyes for how little/much i notice as well as borrow my partners 4k display to try and see what I’m missing perspectively too!

Itching to build a new PC, need to hand my current one down so I have a dedicated downstairs rig for VR as my current play space is too small and not a fan of nvidia for a long time so I’m pretty much stuck to waiting for stock to improve on the 6800xt before I even think about a new build…

…. Or, does team green offer anything that could sway me to the dark side?

Soldato
1440p / 144Hz is a good target. Even that requires some relatively beefy hardware depending on the game.

4k at high FPS is unrealistic for current hardware in my opinion.

Associate
OP
1440p / 144Hz is a good target. Even that requires some relatively beefy hardware depending on the game.

4k at high FPS is unrealistic for current hardware in my opinion.
So if I’m getting 1440p at good FPS anyway, I’m probably going to run into no real benefit.

it seems that the gains are smaller and smaller each gpu iteration and even with clever ways to upscale and compute AA better, it doesn’t seem like rigs are pacing with games!

it’s something I’d spend money to solve, but not a crazy amount, but it seems like even the bigger cards that you can get right now still wouldn’t solve it for 144hz 4k

Soldato
So if I’m getting 1440p at good FPS anyway, I’m probably going to run into no real benefit.

it seems that the gains are smaller and smaller each gpu iteration and even with clever ways to upscale and compute AA better, it doesn’t seem like rigs are pacing with games!

it’s something I’d spend money to solve, but not a crazy amount, but it seems like even the bigger cards that you can get right now still wouldn’t solve it for 144hz 4k

Thing is, when you jump resolution, you jump up how much the GPU has to do by a LOT.

It's isn't like tweaking a few graphics settings, it's a massive change to the damandvon hardware.

Now that 4k monitors are becoming more available, I dont think some people really realise how much more GPU power you need.

Even stepping up from 1080 to 1440 requires a large step up in GPU power.

Associate
OP
Thing is, when you jump resolution, you jump up how much the GPU has to do by a LOT.

It's isn't like tweaking a few graphics settings, it's a massive change to the damandvon hardware.

Now that 4k monitors are becoming more available, I dont think some people really realise how much more GPU power you need.

Even stepping up from 1080 to 1440 requires a large step up in GPU power.

Indeed, and since I don’t follow how well tech is keeping up, it wasn’t clear if this roadblock is/can be overcome

Reminds me of the eyefinity, great idea but even with crossfire it was super challenging. And although virtualising GPU or pairing two gpus together seems like a way to solve it, it’s still running through the same process.

Thanks for the advice

Soldato
I don’t expect to get 144fps at 4K with ultra settings, even medium or high at between 60 to 80fps is better than the 60fps of a low refresh monitor.

Associate
OP
I don’t expect to get 144fps at 4K with ultra settings, even medium or high at between 60 to 80fps is better than the 60fps of a low refresh monitor.

It’s a tough choice to make, better refresh vs more detail vs sharper resolution.

And it also assumes we trust that Ultra is in our best interest and we want all of those bells and whistles.

Aside from sitting down when playing a game for the first time, adjusting the settings to find out where the tolerances are individually for certain features and taking the hit to accomodate for something better

Some people say they can’t see high refresh, that it doesn’t matter & I’d love to be one of them. However, I’ll admit to not knowing if my tolerance is just 60-80, 80-100 etc and if it is lower (ie I can’t tell difference between 80-144) then it could be worth playing with 4k at lower rr

Soldato
Its just monitor tech jumping ahead but it's much easier.

The equivalent is turning around to and/Nvidia ok now I have a new monitor, make a new graphics card that is 200% better than what you have.

Just isn't feasible.

Associate
I've watched a few vids on Xbox/PS5 vs PC and it's amazing what a few tweaks can do, I though the consoles would be look noticeably worse.. but they really dont.
100%... With consoles they have set hardware so devs can optimise for that set hardware, with pcs there are tonnes of different bits of hardware combos to work with

Back
Top Bottom