Is this going to be a problem?

Associate
I can't tell if the way I've incorporated the fill port is going to be an issue?

I mean if I filled up to 90% of the res there will be air in the tube that feeds it, but I could fill it right up to the fill port itself?

y4mNorJmj3ho2gzIfbuxEaQ6hxN7jgM7ECpUBoNOcwTL1b4b6AhF6uwo2QqhsNFmu5OSjdLFRDiWdPjK0wV9W6GAPHgsaOJhIRHXpGS7Michd5kj2Hmb7lKtUFMTxQgdv-X4EU6whfvja9oLdTZT7cDJCA4PkDKEVbmGnkQG7aJK4V7QNBE2-jUEhktNw6DS4OJ

this is the rest of the loop:

y4mGmhtqUI76c7iK7Sn2l2HzPYKwPLAz9Am0SDpxVm0fci9BpJ0y4iqMRkI6qNFJ1NHYdDrepoulbKhVZKjfZVnWQqkDHtndtp4qWkoUNf8q4KIpT0-OOyrjp6WhNk_bLG6hV-mML0AfOqM_J-dzHmJ5PUQgHCyXbDD2hxgVtt9MBBeAIqzQQqEsSge6BbGqSHx

Soldato
I think the fill port part should be fine.

what I am looking at is the d5 in relation to that resivior. Do you have a Pump in the res also in addition to that d5 on top of the aqua computer module? I ask this as if there is no pump also in that res pushing water up, then I am struggling to see how the d5 is going to be fed with the way that run goes from the bottom of the res into the inlet of the d5.

Associate
OP
I think the fill port part should be fine.

what I am looking at is the d5 in relation to that resivior. Do you have a Pump in the res also in addition to that d5 on top of the aqua computer module? I ask this as if there is no pump also in that res pushing water up, then I am struggling to see how the d5 is going to be fed with the way that run goes from the bottom of the res into the inlet of the d5.

Well thats good then, When I'd done it, I was worried that the fill port had to go separately into a T junction on the res inlet itself.

Yes there is a D5 attached to the res, and I won't switch the other pump on until the loop is filled.

How much do you think it will drain just from the drain port alone bearing in mind I can let air in via the fill port?

Soldato
Well thats good then, When I'd done it, I was worried that the fill port had to go separately into a T junction on the res inlet itself.

Yes there is a D5 attached to the res, and I won't switch the other pump on until the loop is filled.

How much do you think it will drain just from the drain port alone bearing in mind I can let air in via the fill port?

Out of curiosity, why the pair of pumps then, more so in a sequential order. Will get benefits from say a serial to increase head pressure, but not so much usually in sequential.

You should be able to drain most the fluid I expect from that drain port location pretty well, more so if you open the loop up to let air in via the fill port. Will always be some repentant fluid in the blocks, and tubing, but you should be able to get most out with some tipping back and forth to help.

Associate
OP
Out of curiosity, why the pair of pumps then, more so in a sequential order. Will get benefits from say a serial to increase head pressure, but not so much usually in sequential.

I just though it was cool that the D5 next pump had a screen on it, and also I figured that instead of 1 pump at say 60%, I could have 2 pumps at 30%. Plus I barely have a clue what I'm doing!

So are you saying 2 pumps in that setup at 30% wont be like 1 pump at 60?

Soldato
I just though it was cool that the D5 next pump had a screen on it, and also I figured that instead of 1 pump at say 60%, I could have 2 pumps at 30%. Plus I barely have a clue what I'm doing!

So are you saying 2 pumps in that setup at 30% wont be like 1 pump at 60?

In my experience not so much, then again, my loop is not a normal situation so my one may now apply.

I do have a similar setup so a single pump as its built into my external radiator. That pump then feeds into another pump, however this pump is a pair of D5's in series https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...al-d5-pwm-serial-incl.-2x-pump-wc-945-ek.html

That one in series basically doubles the pressure pretty well so in that case it does what you say, 2 pumps at 30% vs one pump at 60%. I find my first pump which push's water to the other ones does not do much really in the sequential order its in. All that said, my loop is pretty odd so same rules may not apply :)

If you do go ahead with the two pump in that solution, would be curious to see what you get as not too many of them configs around. With all that said, a single D5 pump will not have a real issue with your loop in most cases anyways so can be run at pretty quiet speeds in general.

Soldato
Two pumps in series increase pressure. Two pumps in parallel increase flow.
With a D5, you have good flow, with a DDC you have good pressure. You do not need both except for insurance in case one fails which is extremely rare on either pump type.

Associate
OP
Two pumps in series increase pressure. Two pumps in parallel increase flow.
With a D5, you have good flow, with a DDC you have good pressure. You do not need both except for insurance in case one fails which is extremely rare on either pump type.

Yeah seems like when pumps are in series the pressure is additive and when parallel the flow is additive. But surely increasing pressure also increases flow, just maybe not as optimally as just increasing flow?

so in this case its like 1 pump but with 2x the pressure but with the same flow?

Last edited:
Soldato
increased pressure doesn't increase flow but it reduces the drop in flow caused by restriction in the loop. The current fashion of having lots of fittings and distro plates and right angles is at the cost of flowrates. when we only had pond pumps to use (1048, 1250) smooth runs and minimum bends were critical.

Associate
OP
increased pressure doesn't increase flow but it reduces the drop in flow caused by restriction in the loop. The current fashion of having lots of fittings and distro plates and right angles is at the cost of flowrates. when we only had pond pumps to use (1048, 1250) smooth runs and minimum bends were critical.

So does it matter where I place the flow meter? I guess you have to place it as the last thing before it goes back into the 1st pump so you have all the flow reduction from drop caused by all the things?

Soldato
So does it matter where I place the flow meter? I guess you have to place it as the last thing before it goes back into the 1st pump so you have all the flow reduction from drop caused by all the things?
The flow is the same at all points in the loop. If you add more restriction (or add more pump power) the flow will go down (or up) overall. So flow meter should be safe to put anywhere.

Soldato

plumbing works remarkably similarly as electricity. the pressure doesn't drop as you go round the loop, it is the power of the pump less the sum of all the resistance. The only place you can't measure resistance is in the reservoir.

Associate
OP
The flow is the same at all points in the loop. If you add more restriction (or add more pump power) the flow will go down (or up) overall. So flow meter should be safe to put anywhere.

plumbing works remarkably similarly as electricity. the pressure doesn't drop as you go round the loop, it is the power of the pump less the sum of all the resistance. The only place you can't measure resistance is in the reservoir.

Oh right, thats interesting, seems non-intuitive. I guess I was following the water round a single loop, but from that it seems I should see it as more of an equilibrium.

Associate
OP
Well its a bitch to fill! Seems like its because theres no path for air to escape when I'm filling it like there would be in a more traditional setup. I have to put a soft tube on the fill port and blow it down when it clogs up.

I ran the pumps and the cool thing is I can set the speeds on the digi panel on the D5 next as I am some way from powering up the system. Both pumps set to 25% and the flow rate is 1.27 -1.48, when both pumps are at 95% the flow rate is 5.10 - 5.31. Whats an optimal flow rate?

Soldato
That looks like it would be hard to fill
The tube on left of the fill port
It doesn't go down steeply enough
And the one on the right actually goes upwards
To the radiator
Try to fill it quickly the coolant is likely
To backflow out the fillport I would think
That's why I like multiport radiators
You can use the top port on the radiator as
The fill port then

Soldato
The is probably an obvious question but I am assuming the pics are work in progress before you added the gpu, and that the other plugged port on the bottom rad will be going to the bottom port on the distro plate, just trying to visualise the final loop. If so then it looks like you are using the top fill port on the Res as the integral return to the Res from the front rad, as well as a fill port. With that type of Res and that loop order you will always be getting air going up the fill line and back into the front rad, it won't get trapped in the Res as it should in normal Res setups. What you've effectively got there is a very small old fashioned Tee line between the Res and the front rad, which were used in the olden times before reservoirs became the norm :) It will also be a sod to fill, as you seem to have found. With that tiny effective Tee line you basically have no capacity for trapping air away from the rad, and so you will have to make sure the loop is completely filled, and I mean completely. It would have been better to have used one of the inlet ports on the bottom of the Res, rather than trying to use the fill port as the inlet, if it was me.

Back
Top Bottom