Is this motherboard an upgrade on tomahawk X570?

Soldato
I'm looking to build my other half a pc for general usage work mostly probably not much gaming if any. I was thinking she could have my old MSI tomahawk X570 I'm currently using with my 5800X3D. The tomahawk has been solid enough but the Wi-Fi is crap on it and the Asus has Wi-Fi 6e and I've Virgin media hub 5 and 1 Gig so this looks decent. Is B550-F any better than X570? I know X570 has more pcie 4 lanes but I'm not really bothered about that, I just really like Asus boards as I've already got an AM5 system rocking an Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WIFI which I love apart from the nightmare missing Wi-Fi during windows install. Anyway this is the board in looking to replace the tomahawk with...

Anything better at around same price or cheaper please say. Ta. :)

Soldato
OP
Just want a decent motherboard but the Wi-Fi is a plus I could just grab a cheap B450 and make a pc for her and keep my Tomahawk for me and as you say grab a decent wifi card. I'm using a evergreen usb 6 adapter it's been ok. I might abandon the above idea and find a motherboard ram and psu the parts needed for her pc on here or bay. Nearly ordered a terminator B550 soyo board off the A express but didn't as the pc doesn't need to be expensive just functional.

Last edited:
Soldato
You wont benefit from wifi 6e speeds unless your router supports it, also the router needs to close to the PC as that in itself will effect the speed you get.

Soldato
OP
Yeah my router is wifi 6e but im upstairs and its downstairs. Im not bothered about full speeds its great just getting 300Mbps rather than sub 30s on my old connection. I think i'll just hunt cheap motherboard/ram/psu and use for her. Been checking the market here and other online retailers and clearance lines. To be honest i dont even game on the X570/5800X3D/7800XT very much as i use the newer 7800X3D/4090FE PC. I just love putting together parts, and felt an itch for that board.

Soldato
OP
Yes thanks for that advice, its probably what happened on my B650E it was a nightmare as windows coudnt see the wifi on install and i had to jump through hoops to get it working. Its pretty stable now though. But sound advice thanks.

Associate
Whatever you decide, just be aware that many of the latest Asus boards rely on an Intel 1225-V NIC for wi-fi that continues to be plagued with temperamental functionality.
V3 of the controller allegedly fixes the issues but I grabbed a WI-FI card just incase. So far though no problems.

I’m using Linksys Velop (twin pack) to create a mesh instead of Virgin’s WI-FI. Vastly superior WI-FI speeds (500mbps all over the house).

Wulf

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
V3 of the controller allegedly fixes the issues but I grabbed a WI-FI card just incase. So far though no problems.

I’m using Linksys Velop (twin pack) to create a mesh instead of Virgin’s WI-FI. Vastly superior WI-FI speeds (500mbps all over the house).

Wulf
Would this be dual or tri band? in your case do you have a specific model number i could look up please.

Associate
Thats a great idea but id not have a clue how to set it up. Did you replace the virgin router? is it a 2 bedroom setup your using? I could learn to do it though.
I have 1 in my bedroom where the PC and router is, the other is downstairs where the TV virgin set top box is.

It’s the MX5300 I have which are Tri band and WI-FI 6, there are newer versions for WI-FI 7 but they’re extortionately priced.

Wulf

P.S., the router isn’t exactly replaced, it’s in router only mode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom