is this normal? base not flat on Thermalright IFX-14...

Associate
I'm currently in dispute with Thermalright about whether the Thermalright IFX-14 should have a flat base or not, they say it doesn't have a flat base to allow for something or another, are they talking crap? The reason I noticed was after installing it the temps on two of my cores on my Q6600 were about 20oC higher than the other two. I uninstalled it got my ruler out and realised it wasn't flat (see pics).

What do you think, is that the way it should be? Is there anyone out there with an IFX-14 that's flat or are they all like this?

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

cheers

p

Associate
OP
thanks for your responses, from what you're saying I think I'll stay away from Thermalright for a while. The cost of me sending it back to Taiwan seems to be a false economy. I think I'll try writing another email with lots of capital letters to see if anything comes of it.

p

Associate
OP
if you're interested this was the response I got after sending the pictures to Thermalright inTaiwan:

Dear Justin,

The heatsink base are designed to be convex to combat the concaveness of the CPU. From what you described we thought we would see something worse than what you showed in the pictures. Unfortunately this is not evidently enough to show a flaw.

What was the orientation of the heatink? Was it facing toward the exhaust fan?
Have you tried installing the heatsink facing other directions?
What was the fan(s) you used and where did you installed them?
What was the speed of the fan(s)

hmm

Back
Top Bottom