1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this normal? base not flat on Thermalright IFX-14...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by parkie, 6 Sep 2008.

1. parkie

Gangster

I'm currently in dispute with Thermalright about whether the Thermalright IFX-14 should have a flat base or not, they say it doesn't have a flat base to allow for something or another, are they talking crap? The reason I noticed was after installing it the temps on two of my cores on my Q6600 were about 20oC higher than the other two. I uninstalled it got my ruler out and realised it wasn't flat (see pics).

What do you think, is that the way it should be? Is there anyone out there with an IFX-14 that's flat or are they all like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers

p

2. tigerstyle

Sgarrista

A good excuse to bust out the wet and dry and void some warranties whilst seeing great temp drops :D No way around it really

And as for those pics, lazy machining and bad quality control, made in the far east you say?

3. Althulas

Gangster

I had the same problem with my True Black Edtion. Load of BS there response. Either RMa it or lap t s I did mine and with 2 fans on psh pull onfig see great temp drops, bt should not need lapping in the 1st place.

4. Big.Wayne

Capodecina

Hey parkie, nice pics!

The slightly convexed base in your picture seems to be pretty normal for Thermalright these days, whether it's bad QC or designed like that on purpose there can be no denying it's forcing a little extra pressure onto the IHS around where the CPU cores would be. I've used a few TR heatsinks and even though they had a similar convex base I never got much temp difference between the cores, your stated 20°C difference between cores is a ridiculously large amount, either that's a combination of both your heatsink and CPU/IHS or you musta bodged the installation big time! :eek: :p

5. neoboy

Capodecina

Yep have the same on my True Extreme, couldn't be bothered to do anything about it yet as I'm only housing a E2140 in there until I get myself a Wolfdale/Yorkfield.

I've got to say though I'm really surprised they still let stuff like this happen, it just shows very shoddy attitude.

6. Big.Wayne

Capodecina

What you have 20°C difference between your core temperatures! :D

7. parkie

Gangster

thanks for your responses, from what you're saying I think I'll stay away from Thermalright for a while. The cost of me sending it back to Taiwan seems to be a false economy. I think I'll try writing another email with lots of capital letters to see if anything comes of it.

p

8. parkie

Gangster

if you're interested this was the response I got after sending the pictures to Thermalright inTaiwan:

Dear Justin,

The heatsink base are designed to be convex to combat the concaveness of the CPU. From what you described we thought we would see something worse than what you showed in the pictures. Unfortunately this is not evidently enough to show a flaw.

What was the orientation of the heatink? Was it facing toward the exhaust fan?
    Have you tried installing the heatsink facing other directions?
    What was the fan(s) you used and where did you installed them?
    What was the speed of the fan(s)

hmm

9. Big.Wayne

Capodecina

Why would you even think that is an option? :confused:

Just lap it man, seriously it will cost you a little time and a few quid, don't get all wrapped up in lengthy email chats with the TR folks?

I don't think it was fitted properly if you are getting such a HUGE difference across the processor cores. . .

10. Mattus

Capodecina

20c is a massive difference, considering that the heat should be spread out somewhat by the CPU heatspreader. Looks like it doesn't combine very well with your CPU! I'd just lap it.

This kind of thing was why I avoided Thermalright when shopping for a heatsink last week... seen lots of this kind of stuff, I don't know how they get away with it. I bought the Noctua instead and the machining seems to be of high quality.

11. da_ging

Hitman

can't believe they are still spinning that BS, I'm surprised no 1 besides us lowly customers has called them out on it yet :confused:

btw i had the same on my true 120 and ended up lapping it, as you can see their "design" didn't quite work for me :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. VortexA1

Wise Guy

I have a thermalright.. I have a 13 degree difference between lowest and highest core.

Do you think I should lap it considering there is a difference anyway with the temperatures on cores even with a flat base?

Does 13 seem too much?

13. Tetsu

Wise Guy

I've heard of loads of people having trouble with thermal rights heat sinks. I'd avoid them if your not willing to be their lap dog :D

14. Shaolin Chicken

Wise Guy

That's what I thought ;)

15. parkie

Gangster

thanks, my trusty canon powershot a520 on a 10 sec delay on a little box in portrait mode I think.

D Bailey

16. Phil99

Capodecina

I had exactly the same with a Thermalright SI-128. I considered lapping it but I'm usually quite good at destroying hardware as it is, so gave it a miss and returned it to OcUK (who RMA'd it no questions asked)

17. {SAS}TB

Soldato

My TRUE was almost as bad as that

The "Meant to be convex" thing seems like BS to me - get it lapped :p

18. IAmATeaf

Soldato

My TR Ultra 120A was exactly the same, decided to lap it and the CPU, still get a 4 degree diff between cores 0/1 and 2/3 though. I also read sometime ago that TR were originally stating that the base was convex as when clamped the pressure would straighten it out but mine was like yours in 1 plane and even worse then the base was turned 90 degrees.

19. Shaolin Chicken

Wise Guy

Lol.
    Very good.

20. Ben M

PermaBanned

get it and your cpu lapped.