ISIL, ISIS, Daesh discussion thread.

Man of Honour
This already exists
Each sect have a bunch of well learned scholars who have jurisprudence that applies to today and not 1400 years ago. A lot of the famous ones tend to have a q&a section for day to day issues or questions. And you will find many that promote unity between the two main groups - Shia and sunni.

This I didn't know, why don't they unify in some way, even if it's just for unity of the sects that just gives them peace? and why don't they seem to be progressive, like the synod or cardinals in Rome, or for that matter are they?

Caporegime
I think islam needs it's Jesus moment.

they need a new prophet to come and replace the teachings of the quran and leave the rules of hate behind. As the NT does to the OT.

God obviously saw that all was not well and sent his son to correct the messages that had been twisted and misinterpreted.

He/She now needs to do the same for islam and reset so that they can live peacefully and progress as human beings no longer tied to mohammed.

it was designed so that Mohammed was the last prophet, they also decided that it was the literal word of god (despite Mohamed being an illiterate) - you can't therefore correct or change it... just interpret it differently, unfortunately sufficient people interpret it in the ISIS way... which is perfectly logical as the quran is full of plenty of nasty stuff

anyone claiming to be the second coming of Christ these days is not going to be taken seriously - the only second coming they believe in is right before the day of judgement

unfortunately fundamentalist Islam is like cancer and the main cure is going to be when societies progress and education standards improve leading to people giving up silly religious beliefs

Last edited:
Soldato
This I didn't know, why don't they unify in some way, even if it's just for unity of the sects that just gives them peace? and why don't they seem to be progressive, like the synod or cardinals in Rome, or for that matter are they?

Long answer to that.
Some of my answers would be historic/factual.
Some of it would be subjective/from experience.
But to most educated Muslims unity is everything and is definitely promoted from both sides.

With regards to being progressive my personal experience is that it is. I can find an answer to daily issues if I require it. I was at some lectures given by a local imam over a month ago who talked about how we should question everything because that is what is said throughout the Quran. He went as far as saying that we should question what certain "leaders" are promoting. Question the Quran. Question Hadith. If it doesn't sit right ask more questions.

It was a series of lectures but a typical example was "what's a disbeliever?" Is it a non Muslim? Is it someone outside the people of the book? Is it someone who doesn't believe in God?

To this he cited several Hadith and also verses from the Quran. Going as far as saying that even someone who didn't believe in God but lived a honest and fair life is God so petty that that person would be punished because they didn't follow islam/christianity/Judaism?

There were lots of examples and even to a non Muslim the philosophical discussions were excellent. This scholar is not a random one off. Pretty much every lecture of sermon I've been to has similar progressive talk.

Man of Honour
Do these questions on theology at a local level move higher, to say regional level scholars, so they may be passed to other mosques?

I suppose what I'm asking is, do theological answers that come from grass-roots discussions go to national level body of any kind, even international?

Soldato
Do these questions on theology at a local level move higher, to say regional level scholars, so they may be passed to other mosques?

I suppose what I'm asking is, do theological answers that come from grass-roots discussions go to national level body of any kind, even international?

It's actually the other way round.
Each of these scholars have been schooled through a "university" that represents one of the 'famous' scholars I referred to earlier. Those scholars themselves would be have been elected through a rigorous process.

Man of Honour
You do realise there are swearies in that video

I've asked that a don should look at this and clarify in regard to the rules, if you do find a post offensive please use the RTM button, the triangle under the left side of the post to report it, and type a short message in the box as to why you are reporting it, then it will be looked at, thanks.

Caporegime
Me and dis86 agreeing on something
Have the planets aligned? :p

Beep off you beeping beep! :p Balance restored ;)

Nah, it was a good video, very well presented and giving off the right messages. They ARE weak. They project an image of power that they don't have. I know that's no condolence to those who have lost as a result of them but it shows there can be an end.

I also think it highlighted something interesting, they hope to divide. If anything they are doing the opposite. Relations with Iran have improved (a great thing in my eyes), Russia and western countries are in dialogue which certainly appears less strained - let's hope relations continue to improve as it may lead to greater world safety.

The only one that annoys me is Turkey with their continued campaign against the Kurds. Both of whom could be, and are, great allies in this fight.

Caporegime
I'd like to be able to speak to a congregation of Muslims and explain that they do not need to fear women or other religions.

but that they must understand and respect the consternation they cause by moving to new countries and demanding law changes and exemptions. This worries the local population obviously. The tendancy of muslims to maintain and speak other languages and keep to themselves, become exclusive of the population not inclusive of it must be obvious to them.

Their support for their religious brothers over support fpr their countrymen does not inspire a local population to trust and want to integrate fully. Why would it?

When people move to the west we must think it's because they want to be part of our standards.

Equality, sexual, religious, legal. All of it. If they do not want this then it is legitimate to ask them why do they want to live here, with us. Not excluding themselves from us.

Man of Honour
It's actually the other way round.
Each of these scholars have been schooled through a "university" that represents one of the 'famous' scholars I referred to earlier. Those scholars themselves would be have been elected through a rigorous process.

As a guess then I would say the scholar has a framework with which he can apply agreed theological thinking to any query a mosque member could have?

Soldato
As a guess then I would say the scholar has a framework with which he can apply agreed theological thinking to any query a mosque member could have?

More than a framework. You can email directly with a specific question with scenario a-z. A representative will then get back to you.

To be honest most answers are found because these scenarios have already happened and someone else has already asked the question. So for example a few weeks ago I made an oath to not do a bad habit that I had for a certain time period. I kept making these oaths to prolong to time I wouldn't do this. On one occasion I forgot I made the oath and broke it through forgetfulness. The scenario had already been asked about by someone else.

The punishment? Pay kaffirah equivalent to 10 needy people - basically charity (significantly higher if done on purpose!!!). So they had already converted the amount to today's age which basically equated to just over £45 to pay for food to feed 10 needy. You then go to any charity site doesn't even need to be Islamic and pay the appropriate amount.

Back
Top Bottom