Isle of Wight recommendations?

Man of Honour
My brother and I may pop over to the Isle of Wight for a few days next summer on a small motorbike road trip. I know very little about the IoW. Is there a better part of the island to stay? Also any must-see places? Thanks.

Associate
Carisbrooke Castle was ok - but Jill the donkey's efforts on the water wheel were well short of even half-hearted - you just have to hope you get a different donkey
Osborne House is good if that's your sort of thing
The Needles Battery was interesting (if that was the place where the UK did it's satellite launch vehicle testing in the 60's/70's)
The Garlic Farm was rubbish - they don't even grow garlic there anymore - the stuff they were flogging in the shop was made in Northern Ireland - hardly local!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The island is small enough that I wouldn't worry too much about where you stay, but Newport is quite central and has cheap accommodation with free parking (Premier Inn).
As for attractions it depends a bit what you are interested in - e.g. Godshill Model Village is good with kids (especially at the end of the trip where they can recognise places they've been) but I'm assuming with it being a bike trip you won't have any children in tow.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks. Just a sight seeing trip as neither of us have been there before. We don't live close to each other and only see each other a few times a year. So it's an excuse for a meet up and run out on the bikes really. No kids in tow.

Associate
Sandown is nice, the zoo isn't too bad either. Shanklin Chine is lovely, and the area is quite picturesque. You can see PLUTO (Pipeline Under The Ocean) used by the Allies to get fuel across to mainland Europe during WW2. If you want nice views stick to the South and West of the Island. If you want more "touristy" things, the East is the place to go mainly. As has been said above, the Needles Old Battery is interesting. Ryde has a lovely beach. Finally, for a lovely meal overlooking the sea, I'd recommend The Water Front at Totland.

Associate
When I was young we always used to stay in Wootton Bridge. It's in-between Cowes, Newport and Ryde so is quite convenient for accessing the larger towns.

We used to spend most of our time on the beach at Sandown. Shanklin is nice too. Osborne House is impressive. Fishbourne and Bembridge are pretty.

We always preferred the (south-)east of the island too, as the west seemed a bit more barren and uninteresting (except for The Needles). Cowes is interesting if the regatta is on. Newport isn't especially exciting although has plenty of shops, we never thought too much of Ryde either, although as it was close we'd go there quite a bit.

As a young kid I loved Blackgang Chine, but I hear most of that has eroded into the sea now!

Associate
You'll want to ride the Military Road which runs from Freshwater to Blackgang. Alum Bay would be a good stop, walk up to the Needles. Its pretty small less than an hours ride from anywhere on the island to anywhere else.

Newport, Ryde and Cowes are the main towns (They are small) Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor are the more touristy towns. If you go during Cowes weeks you'll get fireworks, Red Arrows, boat racing, outdoor bars and live music (In Cowes)

Soldato
I think you can still get the train (Island line) & Hovercraft ticket. They've just reopened the Island line (took longer than planned, no surprise there :rolleyes:) Hovercraft is one of the few still operating in the world so best support it before it goes. (Ryde-Southsea, then bus to Portsmouth)

Video of the new Island line:

Man of Honour
I went there as a kid with my mother, I remember the coloured sand souvenirs sold in Alum, different coloured sand in bottles, and small egg timers made with coloured sand.
It’s never appealed to me as an adult, I get the mental image of it being like an old fashioned Hastings or Bexhill, and they’re too old fashioned for me, but for all I know it may be England’s answer to Sint Maarten in the Dutch Caribbean, (minus the sunshine).

Caporegime
It's tiny, you can do the whole island in a weekend. Typical beach front towns, full of old duffers and the place hasn't seen a penny of investment in decades. Still has its charm, just don't go with big expectations. The garlic farm is nice, do the tractor tour if you can, bit of light hearted silliness for £2 or so.

The chilli shop is ok too if you enjoy spicy food.

Hire a motor yacht for a day, cheaper than you'd expect and a great day out.

Man of Honour
Can't take motorbikes etc on hover... Only option is Wightlink car ferry which is 10 mins down the road from Hover.

Anyway, The Island has loads to explore if you're on bikes or cars. Lots of little towns and view-laden hilltop rides. You can pretty much ride around the whole island in a day and stop along various unique pubs along the way for a break and food etc.

The Needles itself is an ideal destination to reach and explore, you can get both vantage points that way too. On top of Black Gang you have lots of hilly sea views too to chill out and if you head to Yarmouth then you can eat at the cafe right at the base of the Pierhead and explore the opposite direction from there.

Osborne House is a Heritage listed site with some history to learn and expire as well as its own dedicated beach.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks again. Shame about the hovercraft not taking bikes as that would have been interesting.

Yes not expecting a wild party time. Just pottering around to see the sights and have a nice day or two riding.

Back
Top Bottom