ISO-Puck mini

Soldato
Wondering if anyone else uses these little bad boys under their speakers?

I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 606 on my desk and thought I'd give these little mini Iso Acoustic pucks a try. Not thinking I'd hear any difference but OK, i'm impressed. I use my speakers all the time, music playing for hours on end so I like to think I have a good idea how they sound and what to expect. Popped the mini pucks under and fired up some David Guetta (Ella Henderson and Becky Hill) - Crazy What Love Can Do. First thing - bass. It was so tight, not muddy, hard to explain but it was like someone had adjusted the EQ. So much clearer and tighter. I then tried something different, a bit of Dire Straights - Your Latest Trick and then Tunnel of Love. The sax sounded amazing. Vocals coming through nice and clear. And the break down in Tunnel of Love just after 3:30 - drums were excellent and punchy. Finally tried a bit of Electric Callboy - Hypa Hypa. No reason for this. Just because. :D

I didn't expect to hear anything, but clearly seperating them from the surface has helped.

Pack of 8 cost £75 - not the most I've spent on AV "stuff" but these get a thumbs up from me!

ISO-Puck-1.jpg

ISO-Puck-2.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This reminds me of my first demo at a Hi-Fi dealer sometime in the mid-80s. It was to buy a turntable. I had a mate with me. It was listening to his dad's system that convinced me there was more to life than an Amstrad stack system.

Before doing the A-B comparison between two TTs he did this little experiment with isolating speakers from the stands. At the time the whole 'stands and supports make a difference' debate was raging in the mags. Anyway, we listened to a bit of music. Then he used some Meccano nuts to isolate the speaker support to three pinpoints. We listened to the same bit of music again.

My mate nailed the effect immediately. The bass stopped and started more cleanly.

Sitting speakers on a big desk, it's going to act like a sounding board, and isolating them will stop a lot of the bass overhang. That makes sense then. Good result for you and not expensive as Hi-Fi tweaks go.

Back
Top Bottom