ISPA(UK) nominates Mozilla for 'Internet Villain' award

Soldato
The UK's Internet Service Provider Association has nominated Mozilla for its annual 'Internet Villain' award... because the latter has rolled out DNS over HTTPS.

The technology, often known as 'DoH', allows secure connections between users and DNS servers - bypassing restrictions, spying, logging, censorship and other nefarious things. This can only be seen as A Good Thing... unless you have a vested interest.

In protest, Andrews & Arnold (aka 'A&A') - a smaller UK ISP - have donated to the open source based Mozilla Foundation the equivalent of their ISPA annual membership fee, had they even been a member. The final sum being £2,940. Nice gesture/mic-drop.

As I said on Twitter, they don't even bother to hide the dystopia any more. 'Oh noes think of the childrenz!!!!1!!one!!eleven!', but sliding in things like 'blocking' and 'control tools' as an aside. True colours nailed to the mast. If you haven't already, VPN up, people.

Man of Honour
If you haven't already, VPN up, people.

Just wait for the push to try and control what software can and can't access the internet and hence a push for locked down hardware using TPM type stuff, etc. :( at which point things like VPNs would be useless.

On the other hand they do kick back against Article 13.

Soldato
People scaremonger over China/Russia, but are happy to forget we live in a society where our government requires ISP's to log everything and make that data available to any/all government agencies with near zero oversight.

Soldato
I just want to thank ISPA for giving this award to Mozilla. Without this publicity, this thread wouldn't have been made, I wouldn't have seen it, and been reminded to enable secure DNS on my router (that acts as my local DNS cache).

Streisand effect FTW!

Back
Top Bottom