Issue with build one year on

Associate
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my PC build about 1 - 1.5 years after it was built. I use the machine primarily for syncing files from another computer (for a backup) and occasional gaming. So the computer is always on but only occasionally used and viewed on a monitor.

The problem has happened twice now, where I go to use the computer and I can't get any signal to the monitor. The steps I try to fix the issue are:

1. Restart
2. Clear cmos
3. Reseat RAM
4. Reseat GPU
5. Turn computer off, unplug and leave for half an hour

I have got it working again, but to be honest I'm not sure which of these steps worked or why it's happening. The computer sounds like it starts normally and the monitor seems to detect there is a signal (automatically turns on) but then comes up with a 'No Signal Found' message.

The specs are :
Intel Core i5-6600
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Intel Z170
Samsung 250GB 850 EVO
Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Silverstone SFX-L 500W '80 Plus Gold'
Silverstone SST-RVZ01 Raven Mini-ITX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 "Mini-ITX"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Soldato
Are you using a DP to connect your monitor?

If so this is a quite a common problem with nVidia 9/10 series using DP - i have it with the GTX 1070.

It's an odd fix - but I have to sometimes turn off my monitor for 10 seconds at the wall. It happens about every 10/15 cold boots.

What res is your monitor?

Associate
dont get caught up with the price of a hdmi cable - there all the same if working. Not like the old analogue signal, its now digital. Seen so many idiots paying top dollar for a cable :D

they either work or they dont - 0000001 1111000 111111 00000

Associate
OP
Hello,

Looking for a bit more help on this (a year later...). The problem is very intermittent and proving very hard to diagnose. On several occasions I have cleared the CMOS, reseated everything and basically taken the whole system apart and rebuilt and have had no joy getting signal to the monitor. Then, seemingly randomly, it will finally get signal and it'll work for anywhere between a few weeks to a few months.

I have replaced the motherboard, as I read somewhere that could be the issue. But that doesn't seem to have helped unfortunately.

One useful thing the new mobo does have is lights... With the new motherboard (Gigabyte Z270N), when the problem occurs the orange mobo lights don't turn on but the cpu, gpu & case fans are spinning and there's no signal from the onboard graphics or GPU.

Could it be a dying PSU? Faulty Ram?

CPU & gfx temps are all fine.

Any advice on what to try would be great.
Thanks!

Soldato
dont get caught up with the price of a hdmi cable - there all the same if working. Not like the old analogue signal, its now digital. Seen so many idiots paying top dollar for a cable :D

they either work or they dont - 0000001 1111000 111111 00000
It bothers me that you have used binary words of 7, 7, 6, and 5 bits long :D

Associate
OP
Quick update: The problem happened again today, I unplugged usbs & power, left it for a couple of hours and then it started working. Will try this next time to see if it consistently works.

Does this give any clues?

Associate
OP
Hello, thanks for the help so far. I'm going to have to start buying some parts to get this fixed and was wondering where I should start.

The computer now only turns on for about 45-60 mins before turning itself off (although the fans are still spinning there are no Mobo lights on or display output). To turn it back on I need to unplug from power for a couple of hours.

I'm thinking of replacing the PSU first, does this sound about right?

Thanks

Soldato
This almost sounds like the monitor has some kind of built in sleep mode or some other type of energy saving feature built into.the monitor or windows etc etc.

Just out of interest look in the monitors menu for some kind of power saver.sleep mode etc etc.

Set windows to performance mode to remove sleep timers and set gpu to performance mode just out of interest may as well start with things u can do for free before u spend money's :)

Associate
OP
This almost sounds like the monitor has some kind of built in sleep mode or some other type of energy saving feature built into.the monitor or windows etc etc.

Just out of interest look in the monitors menu for some kind of power saver.sleep mode etc etc.

Set windows to performance mode to remove sleep timers and set gpu to performance mode just out of interest may as well start with things u can do for free before u spend money's :)

Sorry for the late reply, i've been away for a few days. I had already set performance mode and just double checked but the problem still persists. It's a strange one, after around 45-60mins I get no case or mobo lights or display output, the fans still spin.

Any other suggestions? I have already replaced the motherboard, do you think PSU is the next logical step?

EDIT: It's also fairly consistent that it boots back up after leaving it unplugged for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom