• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Issue with my GPU and Upgrading from GTX 780 to?

Associate
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could troubleshoot my issue before I decide to upgrade my GPU. My graphics card seems to crash when playing any game, I get these strange looking textures and my computer stops responding, I have to use task manager to close the game. I've tried contacting Nvidia to see if they could help but there has been no help from them. I've had to downclock my GPU significantly in order for it to work on low settings on most games but it still crashes. So was wondering if this is due to my GPU or PSU?

Also I'm looking to upgrade my GPU because of this which my specs of computer is below:

Intel i7 4770k
Gainward Gtx 780
Corsair RM 750w
120GB Kingston HyperX
2 x 500GB Toshiba 32MB - Raid 0
1 x 320GB Western Digital Blue
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
Fractal Design Node 804

As I've not really kept up to date with the GPUs from Nvidia and AMD, I'm not sure what to upgrade to? I used to own an AMD 7870 but I disliked it because it kept crashing due to driver support, now my GTX 780 is doing the same since upgrading to Windows 10 so now I'm open to either brand.

As I'm student, my budget will be around £250ish maximum.

* Forgot to mention, I play Fifa 17, ETS 2, Rocket League, CS:GO and might be looking to buy BF1. *

Thanks for any help and recommendations.

Soldato
Other than your GPU and maybe the RAID hard drives, your system is still fine.

Gpu is the priority though and for 250 you can get either a 1060 from Nvidia or a 480 from AMD

An bigged SSD for gaming would be decent too given most games now are 40gig +

Your PSU is fine, unless it's really old (7 years+)

Man of Honour
I found most of the Kepler GPUs I have access to including my previous 780 would randomly be unstable with every other driver version since 358.59 (could normally find a version that was stable though) - was one of the reasons I upgraded to a 1070 as I was getting bored with it - could usually be worked around by upping voltage slightly and/or enabling K-Boost but thats a chore/undesirable.

Soldato
Have you cleaned out the GPU recently and replaced the thermal paste to rule out over heating ? Also another thing to check is the PSU and make sure it is giving out the correct voltages to the system.

Back
Top Bottom