Issue with washing machine - New build flat

Soldato
Hi all,

I moved into a new build flat at the end of March this year and since then I've felt my washing machine caused excessive vibrations throughout the rest of the flat. For example, I can physically feel significant vibrations in the floor when I'm stood in the front bedrooms. From discussions I've had in passing with my neighbours, they also feel their washer dryer units also make excessive noise and they can even hear and feel vibrations of other people's machines.

I've also experienced vibrations from the flat opposite mine (only other flat than mine on the top floor, shared landing), where their spin cycle makes my front door rattle in its frame. Apparently, the developer's response to my neighbours when they've complained about the noise is to contact Hotpoint :confused:.

Today my unit has jumped forward so it's no longer flush with the kitchen units (it's an integrated washer/dryer) and it looks like they've wedged cardboard down the side of the housing unit and washer dryer?! I want to understand the following before emailing the developer if anyone can help?

• Who's responsibility is it to put the unit back in place and ensure its level? Surely this is their responsibility? How can I make sure the unit is level on both axis if there's work surface fixed above?
  • How should I approach the developer about the fact there's excessive noise between flats? I know I should approach them before contacting Checkmate (they provide the warranty on the building), but I feel they'll fob me off as it'll be expensive to admit the flooring lets too much noise travel.
  • Is it better to get several neighbours to jointly complain?
Many thanks,
Mark

Soldato
I would assume because it's white goods it would be for you to contact the manufacturer.

One thing could be it needs it's feet adjusting so it's level. Another could be it's right in the unit so even a slight wobble and it's hitting off the kitchen cupboard.

Lastly it's a crap washer/dryer. What model and brand is it ?

What flooring are the flats kitted out with ?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Check that the washer dryer is actually level, the fact it's jumped out suggests that it isn't.

• How should I approach the developer about the fact there's excessive noise between flats? I know I should approach them before contacting Checkmate (they provide the warranty on the building), but I feel they'll fob me off as it'll be expensive to admit the flooring lets too much noise travel.
I don't think you'll get anywhere with this, guessing it's a timber framed building less than about 5 floors high? The floors aren't concrete and will wobble because it's cheaper to build them like that. I've lived in various new build flats and only the taller, concrete floored buildings didn't transfer vibrations from washing machines.

Soldato
I'd assume any blame would be with whoever installed the appliance. A washing machine that jumps forward tells me two possible things: 1) It's not balanced correctly. 2) It's not being loaded correctly. Or both, which I suspect could be the cause of your appliance to jump forward.

As you've suggested, try and get everybody onboard with you and ask them all to send en email or letter about the issue. Surely the floorboards should be strengthened where the washing machines are installed?

With nothing to lose, I'd be tempted to give these a go:
  1. Washing Machine Anti-Vibration Stabilizer Pad
  2. Washing Machine Universal Anti-Vibration Mat
  3. Universal Washing Machine anti vibration Feet Pack Of 4

Soldato
OP
I'd assume any blame would be with whoever installed the appliance. A washing machine that jumps forward tells me two possible things: 1) It's not balanced correctly. 2) It's not being loaded correctly. Or both, which I suspect could be the cause of your appliance to jump forward.

As you've suggested, try and get everybody onboard with you and ask them all to send en email or letter about the issue. Surely the floorboards should be strengthened where the washing machines are installed?

With nothing to lose, I'd be tempted to give these a go:
  1. Washing Machine Anti-Vibration Stabilizer Pad
  2. Washing Machine Universal Anti-Vibration Mat
  3. Universal Washing Machine anti vibration Feet Pack Of 4

I don't think the unit is balanced correctly, based on sticking a magnetic spirit level on the front it was higher on one side and also leaning forward slightly. Although it's hard to adjust the unit in situ as it's so enclosed.

The floor isn't reinforced with anything by the looks, the Karndean flooring was installed across the entire open plan living area and the machine sits on this. There's units that come out perpendicular to the wall, forming a breakfast bar at the end. At the opposite end near the wall is where the sink is, followed by the washer dryer and then the dishwasher.

Do you have any experience with the type anti-vibration products you linked to? I did Google for solutions and these type of things came up.

I would assume because it's white goods it would be for you to contact the manufacturer.

One thing could be it needs it's feet adjusting so it's level. Another could be it's right in the unit so even a slight wobble and it's hitting off the kitchen cupboard.

Lastly it's a crap washer/dryer. What model and brand is it ?

What flooring are the flats kitted out with ?

It's a Hotpoint BHWD149/1. It's rather basic as it doesn't have a delayed start function and it's only 1400rpm rather than 1600rpm. Flooring is Kardean.

Or whoever fitted them all forgot to remove the transit bolts ;)

I tried to check this by pulling the machine out further, but they've made it extremely difficult to get from out of the unit housing it. There's something stopping the machine coming out and I think it's because they've zip tied the water inlet hose to other hoses that run to and from the dishwasher.

Check that the washer dryer is actually level, the fact it's jumped out suggests that it isn't.

I don't think you'll get anywhere with this, guessing it's a timber framed building less than about 5 floors high? The floors aren't concrete and will wobble because it's cheaper to build them like that. I've lived in various new build flats and only the taller, concrete floored buildings didn't transfer vibrations from washing machines.

Three floors high and the floors aren't concrete. The welcome pack points out there's a "give" to the floors to reduce impact sounds impacting other flats, but speaking to a couple who live under the other flat that's on the same level as mine, they claim they can hear them simply walking about. I'm so annoyed because prior to this I rented a room of a friend who bought a Taylor Wimpey flat which is also top of three levels, not once did I ever hear ANY noise coming from any other flat below or adjacent. Pretty sure these were concrete floor, at least the floors felt more solid.

Associate
It might be being held in by the hoses being short or pulled through to the unit next to the washer - does the water and waste hose go into maybe the sink next to the machine?

If so you can turn off water valve & disconnect under sink and tie string to them if they might get pulled out and be hard to reach and that should free the machine up to pull out

I would say same as above, check for transit bolts, level machine properly and make sure it doesn't rock and make sure not to overload or put in unbalanced loads and see if that helps

if that doesn't help it could be a fault with the machine such as a broken concrete weight or snapped spring, worn suspension legs etc - you could pop the top off and take a look

Wooden floors - probably sheet flooring like chipboard + plasterboard below will act as a drum magnifying the sound i would guess

Soldato
The vibration mats do work to a point, but the also lift machine up. If you can raise it and adjust door to counter I would make a more solid base, something like a piece of kitchen worktop screwed to the joists. Only applies if your boarded floor though.

Regards whose issue it is we always refer people back to builder/installer/point of sale

Back
Top Bottom