Issues copying from SMB share

Soldato
Hi guys

I have Mint (18.1) installed on my laptop but for some reason I cannot open or copy files from our file server to my machine. I can browse fine and the permissions work OK down to my W10 desktop so something odd is happening but unsure what. If i try and copy a file I simply get the error:

There was an error copying file in to /home/name/desktop

Function not implemented

It feels permission related but unsure. Any advice that can be given?

- GP

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Is the file server running Windows or Linux?
What's in the file server's SMB log?
Have you mounted the share or are you browsing via the file manager?

Soldato
OP
It's Server 2012R2. Note that this is in a work environment not residential; we're a MS house so if it's not Windows the internal guys won't support it and they are busy enough as it is. Me running Linux on my laptop is down to me to sort out so to speak. What I do know is that if I connect to c$ on my own PC that I am a local admin on it works fine, just the file share won't, however if i connect to the file server from my local PC then my permissions are fine (not admin, just controlled access permissions).

As for the mounting , I connected to it through the file explorer (File --> Connect to Server). Share shows as mounted to my knowledge andI can browse. I also connected to a different serve entirely with the same results.

- GP

Edit: also, looks like i can create documents on the remote server too just fine. I just cannot open or copy them

Soldato
Don't have a win server to see, Have you tried a different file manager?

Not using mint so no clue what that uses by default.

Edit.

Just thought, I guess this is over a wifi connection ?

Try hardwired if you can before you go digging too deep

Soldato
OP
yes it was over wired but I span the WLAN directly to a VLAN before routing off-net, so if it;s something related to the adapter it would be odd but I can check easily enough. I haven;t tried a different file manager - is there one you would recommend?

Thanks

- GP

Soldato
Personally use dolphin as I'm seem to be one of the few that actually like KDE. Downside is if you install dolphin it might want a lot of the KDE stuff as deps so if you are space limited it may be a problem.

It could be a SMB issue as suggested.

Have you run the file manager via cli to see if it throws an error?

Other suggestion is smb4k to connect to the share or what I use either via dolphin(file manager) or smbnetfs which basically mounts the share(s) in a local directory at login.

Edit:

I do recall that later versions of win server require the SMB2 protocol to be used in SMB but unsure , may be a point of direction should all else fail

Last edited:
Associate
If in doubt, go to the command line.

Open up a terminal and run 'df -h' umount any network addresses.

First try running 'smbclient -L //fileserver -U yourusername

This should give you a clear idea of your interaction with the server.

Providing that it's all okay, try mounting a share:
'mount -t cifs //fileserver/desired_share /usr/mountpoint/ -o username=yourusername'

That will either connect or spit out an error code to examine

Associate
NB if you get an error along the lines of 'ERRnomem' or 'can't allocate memory', it's a problem with the way the sharing is setup - you need to make sure you're allocated sharing privileges and security privileges

Back
Top Bottom