Issues with Gigabyte Aero 15 XC Control Center app

Associate
Hi there,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte Aero 15 XC from Overclockers and upgraded the memory from 16GB to 32GB as well as adding a second SSD (1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus) both of which are working fine, but when using the Control Center app, whilst it shows the correct amount of memory and clock speed, it's not showing the full information (eg the health status or hardware name) for either the original or new SDDs on the Smart Dashboard, albeit it once did but then disappeared.

I have tried numerous times to uninstall and reinstall the latest version (21.06.10.01) of the app but it simply doesn't show any full SSD info, but if I look at the 'collected information' text it does show info on both drives like this

System Information : (some info removed)
{"id":1,"name":"Crucial-CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS-3200","value":"16GB"},{"id":2,"name":"Crucial-CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS-3200","value":"16GB"}],"hdd":[{"id":1,"name":"Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB","value":"932GB"},{"id":1,"name":"SX8200PNP-512GT-S","value":"477GB"}],"batteryCycleCount":"0","updateDate":"1627517397866","modelName":"AERO 15 Studio XC","cultureEnglishName":"English (United Kingdom)"}

Would anyone have any ideas why the app is not showing the full SDD info on the Smart Dashboard as I have tried to contact Gigabyte support but haven't had any kind of response for days.

Cheers,

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi there,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte Aero 15 XC from Overclockers and upgraded the memory from 16GB to 32GB as well as adding a second SSD (1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus) both of which are working fine, but when using the Control Center app, whilst it shows the correct amount of memory and clock speed, it's not showing the full information (eg the health status or hardware name) for either the original or new SDDs on the Smart Dashboard, albeit it once did but then disappeared.

I have tried numerous times to uninstall and reinstall the latest version (21.06.10.01) of the app but it simply doesn't show any full SSD info, but if I look at the 'collected information' text it does show info on both drives like this

System Information : (some info removed)
{"id":1,"name":"Crucial-CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS-3200","value":"16GB"},{"id":2,"name":"Crucial-CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS-3200","value":"16GB"}],"hdd":[{"id":1,"name":"Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB","value":"932GB"},{"id":1,"name":"SX8200PNP-512GT-S","value":"477GB"}],"batteryCycleCount":"0","updateDate":"1627517397866","modelName":"AERO 15 Studio XC","cultureEnglishName":"English (United Kingdom)"}

Would anyone have any ideas why the app is not showing the full SDD info on the Smart Dashboard as I have tried to contact Gigabyte support but haven't had any kind of response for days.

Cheers,

@Amoxitine - we will forward info to the mothership and see what we can advise. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80 ,

Many thanks for your replies and sure I can do that for you!

https://ibb.co/q9t5NK0
q9t5NK0

Hopefully you can see that (I tried to use the insert option but it didn't work)!

Associate
OP
Oh one thing to add, yesterday it did once again randomly show the correct SSD information in the app, but after a reboot it disappeared, so not quite sure what triggered it to briefly show the info.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Oh one thing to add, yesterday it did once again randomly show the correct SSD information in the app, but after a reboot it disappeared, so not quite sure what triggered it to briefly show the info.

@Amoxitine - OK, image sent to HQ for checking, and have let them know this info as well.

Is the SSD working all the time, only asking that because it almost sounds like it might not be seated correctly.....?

Regards,

Gigabyte UK

Associate
OP
@Amoxitine - OK, image sent to HQ for checking, and have let them know this info as well.

Is the SSD working all the time, only asking that because it almost sounds like it might not be seated correctly.....?

Regards,

Gigabyte UK
Hi Atom80, Yes I've got no issues with either drives as I'm able to read and write to both and the M.2s boards are both seated securely and screwed into place.

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80 , another odd thing I have noticed is that now the CC app is no longer showing any driver version info under the Smart Utilities Official and Latest driver version columns. I have been applying the Windows 10 updates as and when I get notifications, so maybe that's what has mucked it up - https://ibb.co/LRjHq9T

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80 , another odd thing I have noticed is that now the CC app is no longer showing any driver version info under the Smart Utilities Official and Latest driver version columns. I have been applying the Windows 10 updates as and when I get notifications, so maybe that's what has mucked it up - https://ibb.co/LRjHq9T

Hi @Amoxitine - there has been an issue with our servers, so that shouldn't be related to the original issue.

Tech support have asked, do you have any system security utility installed? And if so, what package and version is it please......

Regards,

Gigabyte UK

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80 - thanks for the update and I guess regarding the server issues you mentioned that also explains why Gigabyte's eSupport is current offline as well.

I'm only running Windows Defender (Security Intelligence version 1.345.213.0) and not any 3rd party system security applications. Also my Windows version is currently 21H1 Build 19043.1151

Associate
OP
Also my colleague has the same laptop (and the exact same memory and SSD additions) and is running Avast (v21.6.2474) on his and not Windows Defender, but the Control Centre app is behaving the same way as mine and not picking up the SSDs correctly.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80, have you had any response from Tech Support in relation to this?

HI @Amoxitine - sorry, staff have been on leave, apologies for the delay.

We have a link to share with you, we will send on PM, will enable you to install new up-to-date Control Centre, lets hope, that fixes the issue. tech support have been unable to replicate the problem you have reported.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80 thank you for sending me the link, I've removed and installed this new version a couple of times but unfortunately there's no change and it's still not picking up any information regarding the installed SSDs.

Soldato
I had issues with Aorus Control Center (same as the Gigabyte Control Center) when I tried last years Aorus 15G. I looked on Reddit and there were others with the same issue with no apparent fix.

I ended up returning the laptop.

The other issue I had was that the fans kept clicking on an off when on silent mode with no way of allowing the machine to run hotter before the fans turned on.

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80 one other thing I should add here is that a few times now I have noticed if the laptop is allowed to go into sleep mode whilst on power for a set period of time (for example 30 minutes) that it's not possible to wake up the laptop in any way apart from holding down the power button long enough to fully shut down the laptop and then press it again to power up (as the keyboard lights are still on but the laptop is fully unresponsive by any means unless I do as I mention)

Again this behavior is also mirrored on my colleague's Aero 15 and not just mine.

Associate
OP
I just thought I'd update on the issue I've been having, I've worked out that it's a conflict with the Google Drive app that runs at start up. If I disable this app then the Control Centre app will always correctly report the stauts of the two SSDs I have, but if the GD app runs at start up and maps the extra drive letter then the Control Centre app will not show any drive info correctly, it just shows three 'drives' that have no info instead of two with info.

This also explains why the same issue happens on my colleague's laptop as he also uses the Google Drive app to access our company drives that runs from start up. Not sure if the CC app could be updated to pull in the correct drive info directly from the hardware in the presence of any virtual mapped drives, but I thought I'd share this discovery!

Back
Top Bottom