Issues with my first ITX build - Lian LI Q58

Associate
I decided to move from an ATX to ITX as I changed my desk to a much smaller one and needed a smaller case.

I turn it on, the PSU fan spins for a second, the RAM RGB lights up, the AIO cooler fans and additional case fan both spin.

I try connecting to my monitor with a HDMI and then try with a display port, directly into a motherboard, I do not have a graphics card at the moment, there is no display on the screen.

I got a notification on my phone that my desktop has joined my mesh network, so supposedly it has booted to the home screen ( I had no password to get into the desktop )

To note - The motherboard and PSU is used from Ebay, and from high rated sellers, there aren't any beeps on the motherboard to indicate theres any sort of issue.

The 3-pin CPU cable from the cooler is plugged into the 4 pin header labeled CPU fan, which should be fine.

Specs:
Motherboard is AMD B550 Mini-ITX AORUS
ICUE H100i elite Capellix AIO
iAMD RYZEN 9 3900X

Associate
I decided to move from an ATX to ITX as I changed my desk to a much smaller one and needed a smaller case.

I turn it on, the PSU fan spins for a second, the RAM RGB lights up, the AIO cooler fans and additional case fan both spin.

I try connecting to my monitor with a HDMI and then try with a display port, directly into a motherboard, I do not have a graphics card at the moment, there is no display on the screen.

I got a notification on my phone that my desktop has joined my mesh network, so supposedly it has booted to the home screen ( I had no password to get into the desktop )

To note - The motherboard and PSU is used from Ebay, and from high rated sellers, there aren't any beeps on the motherboard to indicate theres any sort of issue.

The 3-pin CPU cable from the cooler is plugged into the 4 pin header labeled CPU fan, which should be fine.

Specs:
Motherboard is AMD B550 Mini-ITX AORUS
ICUE H100i elite Capellix AIO
iAMD RYZEN 9 3900X
If you are only using your CPU to boot from, you'll need a dedicated GPU.

Otherwise, go into your BIOS and change your PCI-e version from 4.0 to 3.0. I have the same issue with my Q58 rig and PCI-e 4.0 is very picky about risers.

Soldato
No PCie GPU means no video output with a 3900x because it doesn't have one.

Assuming it will boot to windows (which it may not do without a gpu) the best you can do is remote network into it at present.

Soldato
HDMI and then try with a display port, directly into a motherboard, I do not have a graphics card at the moment, there is no display on the screen.

only an apu amd CPU has intergrated graphics, your cpu isn't and doesn't, and an amd apu cpu needs a certain motherboard to work, so it's not like you can just change the cpu, sadly,
but don't worry, you're not the first person to not initially understand that a cpu needs intergrated graphics in order to have a display from a motherboard's video outs, live and learn!
it does make one wonder why the motherboard has video outs, if it doesn't support a CPU with intergrated graphics, maybe they intend on releasing a cpu in the future with intergrated grapics that will work with B550 etc, idk?!
you're just gonna have to get a discrete graphics card( which just means a graphics card that is seperate to the cpu,) fwiw intel are a best bet when it comes to simple cool running intergrated graphics, with no real other conditions needed, but the amd APUs do perform better esp with some meaty ram , if AMD APUs were ever in stock that is!!

Last edited:
Soldato
there aren't any beeps on the motherboard to indicate theres any sort of issue.
you will only get this if you install one of the tiny speakers onto the motherboard, which can be a pain finding the correct pins, and then getting it on because they are usually at the place where all the fiddily wires connect to, on/off switch etc!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
only an apu amd CPU has intergrated graphics, your cpu isn't and doesn't, and an amd apu cpu needs a certain motherboard to work, so it's not like you can just change the cpu, sadly,
but don't worry, you're not the first person to not initially understand that a cpu needs intergrated graphics in order to have a display from a motherboard's video outs, live and learn!
it does make one wonder why the motherboard has video outs, if it doesn't support a CPU with intergrated graphics, maybe they intend on releasing a cpu in the future with intergrated grapics that will work with B550 etc, idk?!
you're just gonna have to get a discrete graphics card( which just means a graphics card that is seperate to the cpu,) fwiw intel are a best bet when it comes to simple cool running intergrated graphics, with no real other conditions needed, but the amd APUs do perform better esp with some meaty ram , if AMD APUs were ever in stock that is!!
Cheers for the reply, we’ll, atleast it ain’t bad news!

Boy has it been a annoying ride getting the ITX build right, I don’t currently have the time to game and only need it as a study/beef machine for VMS, so I’ll have to find the cheapest possible option until prices drop heavier or AMD releases their new gen cards

Associate
OP
Defiantly a good lesson for me though in terms of understanding hardware @Threepwood , I don’t fancy changing CPUS for an APU, I figured my 3900x would be a all rounder for gaming and heavy work. For the price I paid last year, you’d expect integrated graphics.

Back
Top Bottom