Issues with new OCUK Build

Soldato
Hi there,

Recently received a pre-built system from OCUK.

Within hours of first power on the system starts to randomly restart, no warning just a complete loss of power and reboots into windows. It's done this almost 10 times in an evening. I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults, but having the same problem.

Time between restarts can vary from 5 minutes to 2 hours. I checked the ram is seated correctly and that all power connectors are secure to the motherboard. Im not amazing with computers so any help is appreciated, i'll keep my eye on it on the next day or so.

Spec Below:

Kolink KL-850M 850W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro
GX-10Z-ZT Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB HDD
Asetek Premium Retention Kit Intel LGA115X
HS-04K-AS Asetek 240mm 670LT Thick Radiator
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Soldato
As above.

Plus, if your problem proves to be the PSU (or even not) - if you have the funds i would consider upgrading the unit for one of the below. You have premium components bundled together with a budget PSU - for the sake of an additional ~£40 you could have a quality Seasonic unit with 10 year warranty:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Soldato
Doesn't seem like a PSU I would pair with that. Did the OP pick it? Or ocuk? Do OCUk validate/challenge components in a build request?
Odd, i know but it's selected by default - unless changed when picking parts - in higher end pre-built units. So, buyers choice to a degree if they notice or in the know.

And depending on build, you sometimes don't have the option to change the PSU (lower specced builds) - so 600W Kolink supplied by default - unless you contact them directly via CS (which i/we try to persuade on rare occasion i spec a pre-built).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wasnt given information about the PSU, the only options i could change when purchased were case/ram/gpu/cpu/storage although i was fully aware i could ring up and change it.

Ocuk do use Kolink PSU's for all their prebuilt systems unless customer changes it.

I used my old power cord that had a 5 amp fuse inside, the one that came with the pc has a 10 amp fuse, so switched them around, now using the 10amp. Also switched the plug to the main socket instead of running from an extension.

Stable & had no crashes/restarts today at all, running for a straight 2 hours and counting - i'll keep an eye on it but i think the 5 amp fuse may have had something to do with it? seems to be holding steady.

Soldato
i'll keep an eye on it but i think the 5 amp fuse may have had something to do with it?
It's probably that your alternate kettle lead (supplied with kolink) is making a better connection into the back of the PSU. Also, running your unit direct from wall socket, if possible, is always wise.

But, as you say, keep a close eye.

Edited as i had leads wrong way round...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After a little trouble shooting looks like i have the issue solved, now running for 30+ hours stable with no issues.

Solution: Entered bios and raised CPU voltage to 1.2v rather than the default 1.1v. Upon reading reviews and discussion for the motherboard it appears the default is a little on the low side for a 9700k and sometimes requires an extra 0.1v or 0.2v

This could be a complete placebo. I'll update again if i end up having to send it back for testing!

Back
Top Bottom