IT - In 2018/2019

Man of Honour
I just work in a small local IT shop and I've learnt far more there than any course, but ultimately, I'm stuck on a relatively small wage for the industry with no prospects to progress.
Thats where I started out for a few years. I then moved on to work on a service desk within an MSP, which started to give me an insight into infrastructure, which is what I'm doing now.

Soldato
OP - have you thought about doing a bit of Dev work? It's quite easy to pickup the modern languages as there's quite high level, I know the commute would be a bitch - but a junior Dev in Brighton or London would get a reasonable wage, and after a year or two (if you take to it) reasonably decent money is on offer.

I'm in a perm role at the moment - but if I went back contracting then 500+ per day for a Java Dev role would be quite achievable in London, and at that kind of rate I could put up with a commute from Eastbourne and probably do a couple of nights a week in a cheap hotel or a B&B to take the sting out of the commute a bit.

Soldato
Networking is good to have but check where you live, if you don't have a lot of larger 300-400+ people businesses locally. You won't be doing much networking day to day. Smaller companies tend to have lots in the cloud or outsource their networking to an MSP.

Back
Top Bottom