iTouch vs iPhone

Soldato
I did have an iPhone, sold it for a tidy profit, al though I am tempted to get a new one and get O2 Simplicity in a few months time when my T-mobile runs out. Thought I had a great deal but as usual it turns out it isn't that great!

Atleast with getting an iPhone again there are app's out there for multi-text messaging and MMS and copy/paste functions now!

Soldato
I went down the iPod touch + phone route because:

iPod touch:
- Double the memory
- Almost half the size
- No dodgy headphone socket
- Can run down the battery without worrying about losing the ability to receive calls

Phone:
- HSDPA
- Decent camera
- Proper Bluetooth support
- Proper SMS/MMS support
- Proper 3rd party app support
- Ability to be used one-handed easily
- No sucky contract

Paid £269 upfront for the phone + iPod touch and I'm paying way less per month for my contract too. :)

Permabanned
Phone:
- HSDPA
- Decent camera
- Proper Bluetooth support
- Proper SMS/MMS support
- Proper 3rd party app support
- Ability to be used one-handed easily
- No sucky contract

Paid £269 upfront for the phone + iPod touch and I'm paying way less per month for my contract too. :)

- HSDPA - it would be nice but coverage is minimal and an iPhone on EDGE is a lot quicker in real terms for browsing than any UMTS (3G) phone. OK EDGE coverage isn't great either but it works at my house and in London which is fine for me.

- Camera, yes this does sucketh

- Bluetooth, I actually prefer using a USB cable as it means I charge my phone extremely often. My N95 won't even charge with it's USB cable!

- SMS, The only annoying thing is not being able to send to multiple recipients but I've not needed to do that yet. I much prefer the 'conversation' layout of SMS messages on the iPhone, less clutter and you can remember previous texts easily. I can send MMS from my iPhone and receiving should be along soon too.

- Proper 3rd party app support - It's coming but any muppet can jailbreak their iPhone and use 3rd party apps, it's not difficult at all.

- One handed use - works absolutely fine for me, including web browsing. You can zoom in and out of pages with a double click rather that use the 'pull fingers apart method'.

- Contract - again a lot of people have got round this and use their iPhones with normal o2 contracts.

With minimal effort you can make the iPhone twice as good. I can't see myself ever using my N95 or any kind of conventional phone again.

Caporegime
The problem with that is you'll need two USB ports to charge and connect to an N95 at the same time.

Bluetooth is so unreliable in my office (so many devices) that the iPhone with it's one USB cable for all is actually a godsend over the N95.

Whilst that is true you will need 2 USB ports, however I doubt you'll need to sync for hours on end or there are many PCs with only 1 USB ports free.

Soldato
- HSDPA - it would be nice but coverage is minimal and an iPhone on EDGE is a lot quicker in real terms for browsing than any UMTS (3G) phone. OK EDGE coverage isn't great either but it works at my house and in London which is fine for me.

I live in London and I get HSDPA coverage almost everywhere. In fact, nationally HSDPA has better coverage than EDGE.

I find surfing on a N95 (with the latest firmware) way faster. The iPhone doesn't support setting a homepage (AFAIK) and the default zoomed out view means you always have to zoom at least once to read the content of a page. Another thing with the iPhone is if you scroll too fast you get a chequered pattern - something I've never seen on an N95 once the page has loaded.

A lot of websites these days are incredible poorly coded and have 1MB+ homepages. HSDPA really comes into its own once you want to view these websites. Engadget on EDGE is a nightmare for example.

- Bluetooth, I actually prefer using a USB cable as it means I charge my phone extremely often. My N95 won't even charge with it's USB cable!

Can't send photos to your makes or quickly send a file though. Mine phone is set to sync as soon as it gets in BT range of my PC too, so I don't even need to press a button or take it out of my pocket. :)

What's wrong with charging via a wall socket? I've got more wall sockets than USB ports in my house. :)

- SMS, The only annoying thing is not being able to send to multiple recipients but I've not needed to do that yet. I much prefer the 'conversation' layout of SMS messages on the iPhone, less clutter and you can remember previous texts easily. I can send MMS from my iPhone and receiving should be along soon too.

I regularly send texts to multiple people (usually organising a trip down the pub) so this was a big thing. Have you used the MMS app for the iPhone? Didn't seem to be very good the last time I tried it.

- Proper 3rd party app support - It's coming but any muppet can jailbreak their iPhone and use 3rd party apps, it's not difficult at all.

There's no guarantee that future firmware releases won't break everything though. I know you're not forced to upgrade the firmware but future firmwares will hopefully include fixes for some of things wrong with the iPhone.

From what Steve Jobs has said, official 3rd party software support is likely to be locked down very tightly.

- One handed use - works absolutely fine for me, including web browsing. You can zoom in and out of pages with a double click rather that use the 'pull fingers apart method'.

Tried typing out a message one-handed whilst walking down the street? It's impossible - the level of concentration needed is way above what's needed T9 or a physical QWERTY keyboard.

I also find the double tap method very unreliable. Sometimes it zooms in nicely, sometimes it either doesn't zoom in at all or zooms in at an inappropriate level.

- Contract - again a lot of people have got round this and use their iPhones with normal o2 contracts.

Again, we don't know what surprises future firmware updates will bring. O2/Apple surely can't be happy that people aren't signing up for the premium iPhone tariffs.

Permabanned
Whilst that is true you will need 2 USB ports, however I doubt you'll need to sync for hours on end or there are many PCs with only 1 USB ports free.

I play MP3s from my iphone when at work so it needs to be permanently connected, over bluetooth it would drain the battery in no time.

Tunney, it sounds like the iPhone isn't really for you, but I really like mine and I'll not switch back to a legacy handset now.

Soldato
I find I'm listening to a lot more music, as I don't have to think to pick up the iPod anymore. Don't think my old iPod left the house more than a handful of times in the year I had it.

Associate
Due to now topping up at least £40/Month on PAYG :)eek:) i've decided I need a contract, and have obviously been looking at the iPhone. Simply...

Is the iPhone, as it is, with the default £35/Month contract worth it for ANYONE?

I ask as while it looks pretty damn easy to jailbrake, I wouldn't do it because I just know Apple are continually going to release things that not only brake jailbroken phones, but add important and good new features to the iPhone (do you think when they release the firmware for running native apps they'll not try to plug every hole possible?).

As it happens when I got my 2nd Gen Shuffle I started using so much more than my 4th Gen iPod...it just sits in it's dock now while the Shuffle is carted everywhere :)

Caporegime
I ask as while it looks pretty damn easy to jailbrake, I wouldn't do it because I just know Apple are continually going to release things that not only brake jailbroken phones, but add important and good new features to the iPhone (do you think when they release the firmware for running native apps they'll not try to plug every hole possible?).

I'm betting that with every firmware Apple releases, there will always be somebody that will hack it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If you follow the link Justin posted (a few posts up) you can jailbreak an iPhone in about 15 minutes :)

In fact I have a legit iPhone, and jailbroke one for my brother (Christmas present).. his iPhone shows a phone number in iTunes, and has more functionality, and mine is stuck on the £35 tariff & doesn't show my number in iTunes! Go figure.

Also, the updates aren't forced on you.. you just have to wait 48hrs to see if it breaks anything before you decide to update so it's not like you're going to be waiting forever.

Associate
With me it was buy a iPod touch to complement my N73. I couldn't justify the cost of a iPhone and I don't think its quite perfect yet (I can't wait to see iPhone 2).
So, seeing as I was already visiting in-laws in Japan earlier this month... I took the opportunity to buy a 16gb model there. Great, only 190 quid!
I love this thing :)
Using it now to write this. Its a great device that works well with my phone.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've always wanted to go to Japan, have a few friends who live out there (Nagoya).

At the end of the day, for the people who are looking at a phone because they need a phone at that time, then the iPhone might appeal.. if you already have a phone and are looking at the device in a whole then the iTouch wins hands down imo.

Back
Top Bottom