Man of Honour
It was always l’Epiphanie, (twelfth night) for my mother so I’ve stuck with that, this year it’s January 6th.
One of hers that we dispensed with, courtesy of my wife, was that le sapin de Noël (Christmas Tree) didn’t go up until Christmas Eve, it goes up 7-10 days prior to Christmas Day chez nous.

Soldato
when trees dropped their needles - that was a good time to ship them out - central heating probably bought that forward, counteracted by glue;
don't know if relations with open fires had burned them.

smilies the recourse of the linguistically skilled demographic.

Soldato
was that le sapin de Noël (Christmas Tree)

reminded this morning by r4 - we need the gallete du rois intoduced here in the UK, something to eat between xmas and easter,
used to share one at work in France, and make/buy butter one from Carrefour.

Man of Honour
reminded this morning by r4 - we need the gallete du rois intoduced here in the UK, something to eat between xmas and easter,
used to share one at work in France, and make/buy butter one from Carrefour.

Je me souviens..................... my mothers distant cousin, who I called tante Paulette made a mean galette des rois for l’Epiphanie.
She has long gone to the patisserie in the sky, but my younger kid’s girlfriend had bought one when I visited them in their flat in Stoke Newington years ago, she said that she’d got it “at the end of Albion Road”, so maybe she meant Stoke Newington Church St. or Newington Green.
Now that they’re married she says that she gets galette in Upper Street, Islington, she told me the name of the place but I can’t recall it, but it may have had “Belle” in its name.
I may WhatsApp her for the name, Upper St. is a 28-35 minute two bus ride from me and l’Epiphanie is today.

Back
Top Bottom