It's too hot :(

Soldato
Nice one!

Are they expensive to purchase / run /install?

Yeah I'm wondering this also... as well as:
  • If your house isn't massive is it feasible that one proper external aircon unit can cool the whole house? (obviously not as well as having multiple would, but good enough to be worth it?)
  • Assuming the above, where is the best place to position one? Upper floor? Lower floor? Does it matter?
  • Can you use ducting or similar to run from the outside to the unit, if it isn't installed directly on the opposite site of the wall as in the pic above?

Associate
Nice one!

Are they expensive to purchase / run /install?

Cost £500ish and fitted it my self.

It costs considerably less to run than I thought it would as being an inverter unit it uses less or more power depending on the ambient temp.

In June it used £3.80 electricity and so far this month I've used £2.82.

It's a 12000 BTU unit so can only cool the living room really. To cool your entire house would be considerably more expensive.

We currently have a portable unit in the bedroom which is 8000 BTU, very noisy, uses 900w constantly and probably is really only about 5000 BTU by the time you take into account the hot air it sucks into the room and the cool air it exhausts out.

Soldato
Love my flat in this weather. It's the ground floor on the north side of a semi. It almost feels like I have aircon as it's so cool. Complete opposite to my last one which was south facing and first floor. It was like a furnace anything above 20C

Soldato
65mm hole. Probably could have done with a 70mm.

Here's pic of outside:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d8EkyYcVezUuEbNy9

Nice work :) Have to admit to not having really looked into this properly before, but now that I do... the only thing running from external to internal unit is hoses carrying refrigerant back and forth right? (and power presumably for the external unit)? In my head for some reason I'd always imagined there was ducting carrying air to the outside (but now that I think about it I can see that makes no sense!)...

I was kind of hoping maybe I could get an external unit that splits to multiple indoor ones and maybe put one on the top floor landing (3 storey town-house) and one in the hallway, and that somehow between them they'd condition air up the centre of the house that would spill into the other rooms (maybe I wouldn't get ice-cold temperatures everywhere but it'd be a lot cooler than it currently is)... but as I read up on it more that seems like it wouldn't work at all... then if I try to think of a single room or even a pair of rooms I'd want to be conditioned it's really hard to choose which!!!

Soldato
Love my flat in this weather. It's the ground floor on the north side of a semi. It almost feels like I have aircon as it's so cool. Complete opposite to my last one which was south facing and first floor. It was like a furnace anything above 20C
Exactly the same as mine, I don't even bother opening the windows most of the time :p

Associate
Nice work :) Have to admit to not having really looked into this properly before, but now that I do... the only thing running from external to internal unit is hoses carrying refrigerant back and forth right? (and power presumably for the external unit)? In my head for some reason I'd always imagined there was ducting carrying air to the outside (but now that I think about it I can see that makes no sense!)...

I was kind of hoping maybe I could get an external unit that splits to multiple indoor ones and maybe put one on the top floor landing (3 storey town-house) and one in the hallway, and that somehow between them they'd condition air up the centre of the house that would spill into the other rooms (maybe I wouldn't get ice-cold temperatures everywhere but it'd be a lot cooler than it currently is)... but as I read up on it more that seems like it wouldn't work at all... then if I try to think of a single room or even a pair of rooms I'd want to be conditioned it's really hard to choose which!!!

You have the 2 refrigerant lines, power for outside unit and drainage line coming out the wall.
You can buy units that have 3 evaporators running from them.

Also the unit blows the hot air away from the shed.

Soldato
39c.png.bb38455485d6068448bc23bb93e11e0e.png

Slightly toasty

Back
Top Bottom