iTunes 12.7 released

Soldato
As expected, there's a new iTunes release today. An interesting thing is they've got rid of App syncing via iTunes:

If you previously used iTunes to sync apps or ringtones on your iOS device, use the new App Store or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your Mac.

So now I'm curious what will happen to the local "store" of applications, and how this affects backups. I guess iTunes 12.7 can just take a backup of the app data from the phone, and store that. Then, when you restore a phone from backup, it just downloads the latest version of the app and restores the appdata on top - I believe it couldn't store the app data from apps that weren't downloaded to the Mac in previous versions, meaning that if your local "store" wasn't up to date, it couldn't back up the data for that app.

While this does remove bloat from iTunes (a tiny bit, at least), this is extremely annoying for people like myself who have slow internet connections (I have 2Mb at home), as the 100Mb limit for downloading over cellular data is still there, plus I only have 20GB a month to play with.

Commissario
Thanks. I can see all the application files are still there. Of course it means that the locally stored files will never get updated but that's not the end of the world.

Soldato
Well, mine updated tonight without any user interaction or notification. Usually when my MacBook is plugged in it'll download and install updates but usually I get a notification. Shame really I was going to wait until High Sierra.

Soldato
OP
iTunes hasn’t been restoring apps directly since iOS 9 and the app thinning.

I've just been trying to read up on this. If that's the case, why does my iTunes still download the full versions of the apps to my Mac (as app updates)? Surely that's a good few gigabytes I could be saving on hard drive space?

Soldato
They also removed the Book Library and book syncing in iTunes for Windows. I have a large PDF library which I would selectively sync to iBooks on my devices as required.

You can use the manual drag-n-drop method on each individual device but this is rather clunky. Clearly Apple want to discourage you using any content which has come from their stores.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

They also removed the Book Library and book syncing in iTunes for Windows. I have a large PDF library which I would selectively sync to iBooks on my devices as required.

You can use the manual drag-n-drop method on each individual device but this is rather clunky. Clearly Apple want to discourage you using any content which has come from their stores.
You could probably use Dropbox to achieve the same result?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Stupid question: where is the app section of iTunes? It's totally missing on my system. Doesn't even seem to be a section in the store for apps :confused:

Edit: never mind, found out that it’s been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom