ITX HTPC on a budget

Soldato
ITX HTPC (no longer) on a budget

*** Project "No longer on a budget" rebuild into a Lian Li PC-C37B on page 2 ***

Some of you might have seen my issues with using the Acer Revo as a HTPC, I finally had enough a couple of weeks back and lobbed it on the auction place. Sold it and the BD drive.

My challenge was to replace it with a decent spec HTPC for within the money raised from the sale, here's what I came up with:

CIT MTX-002B ITX Case
Zotac 9300 ITX board
Intel Core2 Quad Q8300
Corsair 4Gb DDR2-800
Sapphire ATI 4550
Fractal 60mm Silent fan
(already had a spare suitable hard drive - 2.5" Seatgate Momentus 160Gb 7.2k)

My first schoolboy error would have been that CIT case doesn't have a PCI slot.. :rolleyes: Oh well that can be an excuse to upgrade the case next year..

Anyway obligatory box shot :eek:

P1020320 by neilgates, on Flickr

For a very budget case I have seen a lot worse to be honest, behind the front flap sits space for a slim optical drive. I may use this in the future but I have a BD drive in my desktop for ripping so not a killer point.

P1020321 by neilgates, on Flickr

Has drive space on the removable tray for the slim optical, 2.5" and 3.5" drives

P1020324 by neilgates, on Flickr

I'm sure you've all seen the Zotac board before..

P1020326 by neilgates, on Flickr

More pics to follow but I've been having problems with the stock CPU cooler, the Intel push pin mounting is properly bending the board so I've been trying to find an aftermarket cooler to fit.. trouble is there isn't much room to play with.. 45mm height and 45mm radius..

Update to follow..

Last edited:
Opted for the Startech 1U Low Profile 70mm Socket 775 CPU Cooler

FAN7751U.Alarge.jpg

and a AIREN FAN RedWings 70mm fan to replace the noisey stock Startech fan

hr_motive.png

Hopefully both should turn up tomorrow..

without wanting to turn this into a Revo debate, i just found that with some of my rips it was completely unusable, yet a reletively low spec laptop streaming the file wirelessly from my NAS could play it with no issue.

anyway its gone now, onwards to quad core goodlyness :D

What do you plan on running software wise ? And are you interested in HD audio at all ? I quite like the spec you have there, if you dont mine me asking:

what was the cost of those bits ? The revo price varies wildly depending on which spec you had.

planning on running W7 ultimate using media center with media browser plug-in. dont have a HD audio amp so will only be using optical for DD, although the ATI card does support it if i ever need it. for BD if i go back down that route then Arcsoft TMT3 and AnyDVDHD.

admittedly the whole CPU cooler issue has taken me over budget, but im not far off what i sold the acer, blu-ray drive in external enc, MCE remote, additional memory, some related accessories and cables for.

airen fan has arrived this morning :)

right got the airen fan on eventually.. had to enlarge the screw holes a smidge to drop the screws in further as the fan is thicker, also the fan fouled the northbridge HS so had to file a bit off the corner..

anyway..

board in, heatsink on, cabled up

P1020340 by neilgates, on Flickr

its certainly quieter than the stock startech, i think the noisiest thing in there now is the fractal 60mm fan oddly enough. positioned the HS fins so that air escaped into the PSU fan and over the northbridge to the fractal.. the HS is litterally 0.5mm from touching some caps on the motherboard, its tight

P1020341 by neilgates, on Flickr

drive tray back in..

P1020342 by neilgates, on Flickr

finally got it booted from my W7 USB installer (for reference, to boot a zotac to USB storage select the HARD DRIVE option which then expands to SATA or USB) and installing now..

all built up and installed, having some troubles with nvlddmkm stopping responding but only seems to be within some apps..

think im going to have to scrub the display driver and try again, the overscan options page is screwed too.

anyway, cabled into the tv unit.. (blurrrry)

P1020347 by neilgates, on Flickr

P1020348 by neilgates, on Flickr

P1020349 by neilgates, on Flickr

mediabrowser installed looks pretty good, only one minor niggle is how picky it is with folder names and scraping the meta data. cant for love nor money get WALL-E recognised.

the fractal fan is surprisingly noisey too, its starting to annoy me.

yeah its pretty tidy.. im not liking the 60mm fan though, its way too loud.

might try and retro fit a spare 80mm ive got kicking around in my drawer.

I purchased a CIT MTX-004B ITX Case, the first one arrirved and it was badly scratched, the supplier replaced it and the second, although not as bad still had scratches on it. The build quality was absolutely appalling and the PSU fan is one one the nosiest fans I have ever heard. On this particular case the fan blows through the bottom of the case when it is horizontal which amplifies the noise even more , it is also a 80mm * 10mm fan so it's difficult to replace.

I'd never buy a CIT case again, poor quality and poor design

as i mentioned previously concidering i normally go for good cases like lian li im pleasantly surprised by the quality of this case. with this PSU the fan draws air from next to the CPU and blow out of the rear of the case.

in this instance the 60mm fractal is definately louder than the PSU.

Aod said:
just worried about the heatsink issue you've described. i also read on another forum that the intel stock heatsink doesn't fit because of the Caps on the board? i'm looking to make this quite a budget build so i'm hoping to be able to use the stock HSF

Oh, Neil, if you're looking for a nice quiet 60mm fan, you could do a lot worse than an Akasa Amber 60mm

to be honest i HATE the standard intel HSF. i was going to (in the interest of budget) use it here but i found the stupid push pin setup was severely bending the board when trying to push the 3rd pin in. so it went in the bin.

i use the same board in my desktop, if you have a little more clearance above the CPU i used a HSF with heatpipe and overhead fins (see - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18096877 ). look out for items such as the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 which fouls the northbridge HS.

i'll check out that fan, thanks for the heads up :)

tried to change the thread title but not sure it worked, not really a budget HTPC anymore..

just ordered:

Silverstone Milo ML03B
Silverstone ST50F-P 500W Strider Silent Modular
Alpenföhn Panorama 775 Cooler

Pics to follow once parts arrive.

the silverstone has fallen through, 20th April for stock.. :eek:

anyway ordered a lian li pc-c37b which hopefully should arrive tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom