ITX NAS Case

Yeah that is what I had meant although having everything available to Direct Play, in as much as you can, certainly saves a lot of headaches. I didn't know that it would have QuickSync, that's pretty useful and thanks for taking the time to do the screenshot as well.

Those idle numbers seem to be pretty reasonable, particularly given the number of disks in the system. I tend to use fairly efficient ex-business machines but the numbers are certainly comparable to the ones you've put up and in my case, that would be with only one 3.5" drive in the system, so I would be pretty happy with that. I'll maybe keep this in mind though for a future build and request further advice down the line :D but in the mean time, enjoy it!

I ended up with a Jonsbo N1 for my Unraid setup. Can't really fault it. It's compact for sure, but airflow seems decent (although I only have 3 x 3.5HDDs and an NVMe drive in it). I found the standard case fan to be a little noisy. I replaced that with a 140mm Noctua item which is much better.

I've just been doing some case speccing for a NAS machine myself and came across this thread, so thanks for those who contributed.

Can anyone who has an N2/N3 pipe up with comments on temps? I've been seeing a few concerning comments online about cooking drives because the drive backplate is too restrictive on airflow. I'm leaning towards the node 304 now as it looks a little more manageable.

Depends entirely on your workload. I have 2*3.5 drives, and two M.2 SSDs in my N3. The case is located in a small utility room with a Hue sensor on the ceiling that's currently reading 27ºC.

The 3.5 drives spin down regularly.

It will idle at around 34ºC for the N100 CPU and 28-38ºC for the drives; I don't think the drives have ever got that hot. The SSDs got close to 50ºC at points during Unraid configuration.

I played around with the BIOS control for the rear fan so it's never stuck on 100% and is fairly quiet. But then it's in a room where I'd never hear it unless I was there.

I was also ready to replace the stock Jonsbo fan based on one reviewer either not being able to control it via BIOS or simply wanting a lower profile Noctua one. Turned out to be completely unnecessary for my build.

Thanks for the quick response and extra info! Now I just have to find one of the options actually in stock somewhere... OcUK have the N2 but I can't find anywhere with stock of the other Jonsbo options or the Fractal :(.

Back
Top Bottom