ITX X370 that thinks its a B350 - help!

Associate
I fancied going down the ITX route (but on a budget) and am trying to change my existing machine piece by piece. As such I've gone AM4 so I can use my 2600x for now as it is a fairly even chip for my 1070.

I bought a Biostar X370GTN however the BIOS flashed on it is somehow for the B350 version of the board, I can't seem to reflash the 'correct' X370 version as it obviously thinks it's for the wrong board (CpuZ reports the chipset as X370)

My issue is that the B350 version doesn't have the BIOS update to support 5xxx chips whereas the X370 does, so in the future I'll be losing that as an upgrade option.

I have the option to return it, it cost £50, any thoughts on what is my best option?

Thanks, Rob

Associate
OP
I'm not convinced they will, they already have for the X370 version so technically I shouldn't have a problem at all. It's not a massively loved board it seems :)

Man of Honour
What does hwinfo say it is?

I don't understand how it would come to have the wrong bios and even less that everything would still work on the board :confused:

Associate
OP
I'm tempted but still undecided. Effectively this is a B350 ITX board for £50 which seems....fine for the price (?)
I do think it IS an X370 though, just unsure how someone has screwed it up. Biostars' customer support has so far come back with a generic "Press F12 to flash a BIOS" - helpful...

Man of Honour
I'm tempted but still undecided. Effectively this is a B350 ITX board for £50 which seems....fine for the price (?)
I do think it IS an X370 though, just unsure how someone has screwed it up. Biostars' customer support has so far come back with a generic "Press F12 to flash a BIOS" - helpful...
What bios do you have on it ? Could this have had a replacement bios chip.

Bios starting B35AK Is B350 chipset and bios X37AK is X370 chipset ?

Email them if theres a b350 bios for 5000 series cpu .

Associate
OP
BIOS on the board is B35AK720. I've tried flashing the X370 BIOS as-is and also renamed to B35AK720 (thought it was worth a try)
Good point re a new chip being a possibility, otherwise there must be some sort of way to force a BIOS install.

I'm awaiting a 2nd, hopefully more relevant, support response from Biostar however their site doesn't show a BIOS for the B350 with 5000 support.

Soldato
Honestly, why are you trying to force the BIOS now? Just because the boards look identical doesn't mean they are, X370 and B350 are different chipsets, therefore essentially these are different boards. How a B350 board ended up in X370 packaging I don't know, but what's the point in messing with it?

If there's been a physical swap of BIOS chip that's allowed B350 to work on a X370 board then the only way you'll get a X370 BIOS onto that board is buying a new BIOS chip with X370 BIOS on it. But seriously, send the board back for a replacement, save yourself the hassle.

Associate
OP
CpuZ reports the chipset as X370, it's branded X370 - who knows what it really is.
This is 2nd hand, there isn't a replacement option. The seller has said they'll still take a return if it messes up after a BIOS flash so I wanted to see if there was any experience in this sort of thing on the forum as I can't find anything online.

Guess I'll wait to see if Biostar support have a BIOS that isn't on their download page, if not then I need to decide if it's worth keeping for the price paid.

Associate
OP
Response from Biostar in case anyone ever has the same question.

--
Dear customer,

Thank you for the reply.

Currently B350GTN does not support Ryzen™ 5000 series processor .

We will update B350 BIOS version to AGESA 1.2.0.7 (can support 5000 series)

Please pay attention to our official website. (May be released in June)
--

Man of Honour
Response from Biostar in case anyone ever has the same question.

--
Dear customer,

Thank you for the reply.

Currently B350GTN does not support Ryzen™ 5000 series processor .

We will update B350 BIOS version to AGESA 1.2.0.7 (can support 5000 series)

Please pay attention to our official website. (May be released in June)
--
That's a positive response looks like you've made a change for the Biostar community. :D

Associate
OP
Seems like a new BIOS was released recently.

1. AGESA ComboAM4 PI V2 1.2.0.7 Update (Use F12 Key to update BIOS)
2. Add Renoir Processor support
Note : NO Bristol Ridge Processors support

Doesn't explicitly mention 5000 series support however with Agesa 1.2.0.7 it should do.

I'll maybe try it out soon.

Associate
OP
And to update this for the 1 person that finds this thread 4 years down the line...

Yes the new BIOS works fine, I have a 5600X running happily in it right now. It still reports as B350/X370 depending on where you're looking but I can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom