Ive been offered an 89' Honda NTV 600 for 150.00...

Associate
hello!
Ive been offered an 89' Honda NTV 600 for 150.00
NO MOT mind...

So following required:

Fuel pump - 50

Front pads - 20

Battery - 20

Fork seals - 10

I can do all this piece of piddle.

Total: 100

Id also do... -

Oil service - 25 @ local garage

Plugs - 10

Air filter - 10

Total: 45

Spares Total: 145.00

Bike: 150

MOT: 30?

Tax: 50

So to buy, collect, get home, sort and on the road...

Madness?

I need a cheap hack asap, is this viable what Ive quoted for?
Any advice on NTVs in general?
Anyone got a cheap winter hack they want to sell me? :D

Ta!

Soldato
Sounds like a good plan to me, they are very solid bikes and shaft drive so no messing around lubing up chains. Insurance should be pretty cheap as well. Lots of these were used as courier bikes when I was into bikes in my younger days, so they will do very hefty mileages if looked after.

Soldato
Is the NTV600 the shaftie?

I had a Bros400, I don't think the NTV's were dissimilar. I really loved my Bros FWIW. Fuel pump may be more than £50?

Old bikes are money pits (marginally more so than new). :D

Soldato
Old bikes are money pits (marginally more so than new). :D

That's a bit of a generalisation, and not especially true unless you are daft enough to buy a decrepit old bike and then pay the local bike dealers to fix it. If you DIY and use a bit of common sense in sourcing spares (i.e. not new parts from a dealer) then it's quite possible to run an older bike very cheaply.

The NTV is a good start as they are cheap to buy, extremely robust and there are no expensive chains and sprockets to include as running costs.

Soldato
In fairness yes it is cheap to run them if you do as suggested. But that is if you like spending your weekends fixing bikes rather than riding them (another generalisation ;)). I just found with my old bikes that it was one thing after another so often weekends were spent doing work to them, and parts add up, depending on what goes wrong...

Back
Top Bottom