i've just been hit by a car

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
seek said:
haha, oh so thats where i'm going wrong! :D

(i was really talking about the lights as the cars see them)
yea thought as much....i do that sometimes, look at the cars lights to see when it goes red, but sometimes they will just go through anyway if it turns red a few seconds before they get to them, so always best to wait a few seconds till the pedestrian light goes green ;)

Soldato

The red light is a signal for traffic to stop (if doing so would not cause an accident), not a signal for you to go. You should still pay attention to the road even you are at a designated crossing. Not saying they were in the right (clearly not), but you should be more careful.

Soldato
OP
nige said:

The red light is a signal for traffic to stop (if doing so would not cause an accident), not a signal for you to go. You should still pay attention to the road even you are at a designated crossing. Not saying they were in the right (clearly not), but you should be more careful.
ok you can stop with the "it's your fault" posts right now - i said the lights were red as the cars see them. they were also green from my point of view. i did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's really annoying Seek. I bet they got there much quicker by running that red. It's times like that you wish what you had in your hands was a little more substantial than a bunch of keys. Like a bowling ball or similar :D Then it wouldn't have just knocked it out your hand it would have smashed the wing mirror off.

Some **** nearly did me over on the crossing on the high street. I could have done with a shopping bag full of cans to deposit over the front of the car.

Permabanned
mrdbristol said:
True.

P.S. The car in your sig looks like one that almost hit me :D

:eek: If you were from Birmingham I'd be more concerned, I almost ran someone over at traffic lights before but it was because they were being a pleb and didn't look before they stepped out. It was a set of traffic lights on a 40mph dual carriageway main road, im in the right hand lane doing about 35 - 40, i see the lights go yellow, used my judgement to realise I could probably stop in time but I'd have gone over the think white line and blocked the pedestrians path and it wouldn't have been safe to slam my brakes on, no way I couldn't stop safely basically so I carried on but the fool stepped out as soon as the lights went red and I had to swerve to miss him. I was raging so I turned the car around and went looking for him but he had cleared off. Absolute stupidity.

Associate
I see most people are saying it was your fault for not being careful enough rather than blaming the car driver. I bet the responses would have been different if you had been hit by a cyclist going fast through a red light ;)

Soldato
nige said:

I would suggest that you re read the highway code, Red means STOP, not stop if you feel like it/would not cause accident etc.
Was it you who nearly ran him down? ;)

Last edited:
Associate
seek said:
i did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Yes you did, you didn't check the road well enough. You're not to blame as such but to just assume all the traffic has stopped is completely bonkers. Its all very well in saying when you have lost your legs "oh well it was his fault" but that doesnt bring your legs back does it?

Man of Honour
seek said:
if i was walking just a touch faster and only a few inches ahead i would be a dead man.

Lets not get carried away, you'd probably have been in a worse state but to say it was almost death is a little OTT :p

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Lets not get carried away, you'd probably have been in a worse state but to say it was almost death is a little OTT :p
i don't see why... it certainly wasn't moving slow and it's not like i was wearing anything protective (jeans/tshirt). i don't think such an assumption is OTT at all. but then i guess you had to have been there...

Soldato
assuming hes going 30, seek maybe wouldnt have died but he wont stand up and walk away. th car would probly put your head through a windscreen and break a leg

Soldato
singist said:
I would suggest that you re read the highway code, Red means STOP, not stop if you feel like it/would not cause accident etc.
And its blatantly obvious he mean the road lights not the crossing ones.

Soldato
singist said:
Granted, and I was reading the Highway Code only this afternoon!

There are times when the lights are changing when you might be on your way through when it goes to red, although in such circumstances you’re probably going too fast anyway… so ... :p

Seek; that wasn’t an “it’s your fault” post; as I stated in my post the driver was in the wrong. But for the sake of your own self-preservation it makes sense to still be aware of traffic around you when you are on the road.

Soldato
Violent-J said:
:eek: If you were from Birmingham I'd be more concerned, I almost ran someone over at traffic lights before but it was because they were being a pleb and didn't look before they stepped out. It was a set of traffic lights on a 40mph dual carriageway main road, im in the right hand lane doing about 35 - 40, i see the lights go yellow, used my judgement to realise I could probably stop in time but I'd have gone over the think white line and blocked the pedestrians path and it wouldn't have been safe to slam my brakes on, no way I couldn't stop safely basically so I carried on but the fool stepped out as soon as the lights went red and I had to swerve to miss him. I was raging so I turned the car around and went looking for him but he had cleared off. Absolute stupidity.
You ran a red light then decided to go after the pedestrian who you nearly knocked down as a result? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom