I've just resigned!

Soldato
I've been at my job for 3 1/2 years. The last year, things have been changing for the worse, but i've put up with it, more work load, longer hours etc for no more money, though to be fair, i was on a fair wage anyway.
We had a new chef start a couple of weeks ago, one of these 'know it all but actually knows nothing' types, i've been trying (and failing) to guide him to the correct way of doing things, he just won't listen, anyway, i was pretty frustrated with him yesterday, not doing anything right, sent cold meals out, really unorganised, it's the busiest 6 weeks of the year and with my own job to do too, it's hard work on top of babysitting another chef. I passed my boss yesterday, who asked if i was ok, i said, i'm frustrated coz new chef is pretty useless and won't listen. He carried on and just said, no problem, we'll get rid!

This morning, i went into work, and new chef had left his section pretty messy, i got some of the blame, even though my setcion was perfect as usual. My boss then went on to say to the new chef, are you struggling with this job because Wez said you're ****! Exact words. I had told him my frustrations in confidence and he pretty much put me in a really awkward position.

I just thought, that's it, i'm moving to NZ in 8 weeks anyway, i was trying to hold out for the season more to help them than myself, however the money would have been useful but i've got savings so it's all good, i've been getting prety frustrated with work for the lst few months anyway so that was the catalyst for me to say that'a it, i'm outta here! I gave my weeks notice there and then, and i'm done. It feels great, i feel like i've just got out of prison lol.

I'm going to try and get a bit of temp work to do my over the next few weeks, but there's was no way i was going to stay and put up with that situation. Their loss too, it's impossible to find a reliable, good chef there, i've been trying to find them for years there lol.

I just couldn't believe that my boss said that in front of both of us, the look on the other chefs face was a picture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
This morning, i went into work, and new chef had left his section pretty messy, i got some of the blame, even though my setcion was perfect as usual. My boss then went on to say to the new chef, are you struggling with this job because Wez said you're ****! Exact words. I had told him my frustrations in confidence and he pretty much put me in a really awkward position.

I just couldn't believe that my boss said that in front of both of us, the look on the other chefs face was a picture!

Isn't that just how kitchens are? Blunt and honest?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That's the problem in your life of work, it's very temporary even when you're head chef in an upmarket gastro chain, unless you run the place. Shame really but like you've already proved, at this time of year you'll have no problems getting temp work to ride you over. You may even enjoy it more.

Life's too short to put up with that kind of attitude and atmosphere, especially in a kitchen working environment where teamwork is essential.

Enjoy the temp work and good luck with the move! Come a long way since your A3 at the MM meets :)

Soldato
OP
Do you think them knowing you were off to NZ changed their attitude towards you? I doubt I could ever work in a busy restaurant!

They have known i would be moving to NZ in September for almost a year now. I wanted them to get another chef in to replace me so that i could get them up to speed for when i do leave, i explained this to them when i gave my years notice lol. It has been different since i guess, i do wish in hindsight that i hadn't done that, i was just showing my employers the utmost respect by giving them as long as possible to replace me. I don't want to sound big headed, but they have some massive shoes to fill! I've held the kitchen side of the business together whilst i've been there, and because of the location, it's far from easy to find any staff, let alone good staff, all they can attract is locals, who just aren't interesting, i've been looking for a good sous chef for two years since i've been there, and it's just been a conveyor belt of poor chef after poor chef after poor chef, it's made my job hard!

That's the problem in your life of work, it's very temporary even when you're head chef in an upmarket gastro chain, unless you run the place. Shame really but like you've already proved, at this time of year you'll have no problems getting temp work to ride you over. You may even enjoy it more.

Life's too short to put up with that kind of attitude and atmosphere, especially in a kitchen working environment where teamwork is essential.

Enjoy the temp work and good luck with the move! Come a long way since your A3 at the MM meets :)

Haha, yea, they were good fun.

I've been wanting to quit for around 2 months now and in hindsight, i wish i had done it earlier, it's taken me less than 2 hours to find another job which is similarly paid, plus i can choose pretty much the hours i like. Shame it's only for 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom