I've ordered a 'custom' pc from that second hand high street store...

Soldato
Long story short, needed a mid range pc for one of the kids, fb marketplace is flooded with absolute junk like £500 for an r9 380 pc :p

So I looked around.. Someone at work offered me £525 worth of vouchers for said store for £400.

I've managed to pick up the following..this is what i know...

I7 9700f
16gb ram
1660ti (Advert says RTX 1660ti so who knows :p)
2tb ssd
480gb ssd
Win 10

The build was listed at £650. So with the vouchers I paid £525 for this with their 2 years warranty which is probably pap anyway.

Obviously the murky areas, I have absolutely no idea what motherboard / psu / case / gpu model / cpu cooling I will be receiving. Don't need 2.5tb of storage so I'll sell the 2tb ssd which should hopefully bring the cost of the pc down to about £440 ish once I've got rid of that, providing it's not an absolutely crap drive.

I'm hoping if someone is buying a i7 9700 and a 1660ti, it should have a 'reasonable' psu and motherboard, as for the case who knows but as long as its not a complete hot box.

Ordered earlier, should arrive next week, place your bets on what the other pieces of hardware will be? :p

Or, share your good / bad experience if you've also taken this blind route to obtaining another pc...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My money's on an upgraded Dell/Lenovo/HP/Fujitsu office box.
That is literally what I'm dreading and the worst possible outcome in my eyes :D

I don't really care about anything else, but I 100% do not want a crappy oem motherboard but could probably get a z370/90 cheap enough I guess.

With it being a 9700F, I'm hoping not, as usually those office boxes just rely on an iGpu.

Soldato
OP
Oh there will be photos and full info to follow :)

Whilst a gamble, the i7 9700f and the 1660ti alone in this bonkers market, value wise I think I *should* be okay, I hope :p

Soldato
OP
Slightly reassuring that it appears that normal machines get listed as their name, i.e dell optiplex, lenovo think center etc, and this was listed as 'custom' so I'm getting more confident it won't be oem junk...

I googled and couldn't find much experience, YouTube found a very happy user with a 3930k with a great x99 board with gtx 980 for £280, another YouTube video that user had hard drives falling out of the case, aio which wasn't mounted properly so it overheated... So swings and roundabouts it seems.

If it's a 660ti I'll be demanding they send me a 1660ti :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly reassuring that it appears that normal machines get listed as their name, i.e dell optiplex, lenovo think center etc, and this was listed as 'custom' so I'm getting more confident it won't be oem junk...

I googled and couldn't find much experience, YouTube found a very happy user with a 3930k with a great x99 board with gtx 980 for £280, another YouTube video that user had hard drives falling out of the case, aio which wasn't mounted properly so it overheated... So swings and roundabouts it seems.

If it's a 660ti I'll be demanding they send me a 1660ti :D
If its got a £10 psu made out of tin foil keep the pc away from barrels of petrol and/or explosives :p

Soldato
OP
If its got a £10 psu made out of tin foil keep the pc away from barrels of petrol and/or explosives :p
I'm actually prepared on the PSU front :p I grabbed one of the nzxt c650 modular golds when they were on offer at £49.99 the other day, as I was going to build from scratch but then ventured into this :eek:

Soldato
OP
Had a Google... I reckon its going to be this and they've just incorrectly listed it at a 2tb ssd....its the only thing that matches unless it is an actual custom built pc by someone.

H310 board in this, not great but beats oem! According to the description its got 2 x dimm slots and a sole stick of 16gb, which isn't bad to upgrade to 32gb.

Just says 500 watt psu.

free photo website hosting

Last edited:
Associate
I believe you will in fact get a custom pc from vendor. we know the vendor in question and they list custom as custom. As it has to be a full custom pc and not an oem/pre-built as they can trace it's origin if it was and would be listed as a cusotm pre-built from my experience ;)

Soldato
OP
I believe you will in fact get a custom pc from vendor. we know the vendor in question and they list custom as custom. As it has to be a full custom pc and not an oem/pre-built as they can trace it's origin if it was and would be listed as a cusotm pre-built from my experience ;)
Ooh exciting :D

Soldato
OP
I asked the shop what the board was, should've asked the rest really but who doesn't like little bit of a surprise :p

But been advised its a Gigabyte H310M H 2.0.

I'm still expecting the punch technology build above now..

I've ordered a z390 a-pro board.

Back
Top Bottom